• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    5/1- rest day
    5/2 - 5 miles 8K Steeple Chase Race
    5/3 - 3.5 miles
    5/4 - rest day
    5/5 - 6.3 miles
    5/6 - 3.5 miles - decided to cut it short a bit so I could go home and get Macy for a walk
    5/7 - 4.5 miles
    5/8 - 4.6 miles
    5/9 - 2.4 miles - just a quick run to get my legs moving
    5/10 - 3.5 miles of Mother's Day fun with Skip way hot at 85 degrees
    5/11 - active rest day walked the Macy 3 miles
    5/12 - 6.5 miles
    5/13 - rest day - well I walked 3 miles with Macy and cut the yard so my feet were moving LOL
    5/14 - 5.5 miles
    5/15 - 5.3 miles
    5/16 - 3.2 miles - 5K and a little extra with warm up
    5/17 - 6.4 miles with Skip nice easy miles
    5/18 - rest day walked Macy a few miles but that's it, took Skip to breakfast in the morning for her birthday and went to the track banquet last night
    5/19 - 6.2 miles
    5/20 - 5.3 miles

71.7 out of 120 miles completed

exercise.png

@80ben great job killing your goal for this month :smile:
    @shanaber take care of that hip what is agility training, all I can picture is dogs jumping over things

• emmy15rocks
    emmy15rocks Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What do you guys use to measure how far you've been running? I think google maps sometimes over estimates how far it is and I don't have one of those cool gps trackers :P
  • Nottafattie
    Nottafattie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    @emmy15rocks, there's a lot of decent apps or inexpensive gear to help. Nike+, Runkeeper, and several others. I use Nike+ on my iPod and it's pretty dang accurate.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Afternoon with my family doc today. (I'm somewhat enamored with this fellow.) As a side complaint, I mentioned how my foot bothered me. He's so much like me, dry, to the point, bluntly states "that's a Mortons neuroma, you need surgery".

Hmmm, I may just live with it. Any one with experience?

@elise4270...I found this... "High-heeled shoes have been linked to the development of Morton's neuroma. Many people experience relief by switching to lower heeled shoes with wider toe boxes. Sometimes corticosteroid injections or surgery may be necessary."

It appears that you will have to stop running in heels and do what I do... run in zero-drop minimalist shoes. Only downside is that if you do that and start drinking whiskey too, you may develop a bad case of Wolf's neurosis, which can sometimes lead to dark mood swings when anything interferes with your running. A common symptom is repeatedly telling people, when they ask what's wrong, that you are just "fine". It seems innocent enough, but in cases of Wolf's neurosis it often means that when you are unable to run you are F**ked up, Insecure, Neurotic and Emotional.
  • emmy15rocks
    emmy15rocks Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Nottafattie :) I might give nike+ a go :)
    I know I'm new here but @LoneWolfRunner you crack me up already :')
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hey hey! Enjoying scrolling through and seeing everybody's progress.

5/19: 7.2 miles

So far: 70.6 miles out of 100
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I think we need to start an "Ask Dr. Wolf" thread. :smiley:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    What do you guys use to measure how far you've been running? I think google maps sometimes over estimates how far it is and I don't have one of those cool gps trackers :P

I have my Garmin FR-220 watch. I bought Randall's 220 when he upgraded. Before that, I used a FR-10 (about $100). Before that I used the runtastic app on my phone.

• Stoshew71
    Options
    @Elise4270 Sorry to hear about your foot and hope you find a solution.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    5/1 REST DAY - 0
    5/2 16 miles - 16.0 <<< Madkin and Weeden Mountains on RSA (1,208ft elevation gain)
    5/3 REST DAY - Went hiking ~4 miles with the wife at Monte Sano instead
    5/4 10.35 miles - 26.35 << slow recovery miles. Still feel sore from weekend
    5/5 10 miles 36.35
    5/6 8 miles - 44.35 << easy paced
    5/7 5.25 miles - 49.6 << fast paced
    5/8 15 miles - 64.6 << Friday night long run
    5/9 REST DAY <<< Georgia Aquarium
    5/10 REST DAY
    5/11 10.5 miles - 75.1
    5/12 10 miles - 85.1
    5/13 8.25 miles - 93.35 << easy effort
    5/14 8 miles - 101.35 << CRR preview + 2
    5/15 5.5 miles - 106.85 << recovery pace
    5/16 15 miles - 121.85 << Sat long run
    5/17 REST DAY
    5/18 8 miles - 129.85
    5/19 7.09 miles - 136.94 << WRH Brueggers Grp Run
    5/20 REST DAY/TAPER

exercise.png

I got the Cotton Row 10K on Monday. So I am taking an extra rest day today. I am also using this week as a cutback week with all the extra miles that I have been accumulating in the past couple of weeks.

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options

MapMyRun is another good, free running app that is quite accurate... but I use a Garmin Forerunner 10 now... it was cheap and easy to use... kinda like me.

• Stoshew71
    Options

MapMyRun is another good, free running app that is quite accurate... but I use a Garmin Forerunner 10 now... it was cheap and easy to use... kinda like me.

@LoneWolfRunner You may want to consider stand-up if you find yourself unexpectedly unemployed.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    5/1: 5.2 miles
    5/2: REST
    5/3: 12 miles (scheduled: 20; left calf was not having it today)
    5/4: REST
    5/5: 1 mile (meant to bike to rest my calf, but the bike room was closed for asbestos removal :()
    5/6: 5 miles
    5/7: 6.1 miles
    5/8: REST
    5/9: REST
    5/10: 15 miles
    5/11: REST
    5/12: 4 miles
    5/13: REST (aka: I accidentally took a 2.5 hour nap instead of running...)
    5/14: 6.7 miles
    5/15: 5 miles
    5/16: REST
    5/17: 20 miles
    5/18: 3 miles
    5/19: REST
    5/20: 5 miles

88/155 miles -- not gonna make it, but will get a solid 130 or so for sure.

exercise.png
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

I find that any mapping app is only as good as the GPS on your phone. Quite often whatever app use will show weird jumps in my trail, throwing off all the stats.

If I want accuracy, I pre-plot my course here:
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

You can also do this on the MapMyRun website.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

I currently use the Garmin FR920XT. Before this, I had:
    - Garmin FR220 watch (sold to Stan)
    - Nike+ Sportwatch GPS
    - Endomondo app
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Current total: 156.7 miles
    Remaining: 43.3 miles

200 mile goal will be shattered this month with mileage ramp up and back-to-back races on Memorial Day.

graph?e10=10&e12=11&x=12&y=20&t=0
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Hey, just saw this thread. As it happens, I just started running this month. May 9th I went with a group to a 5k brewery run/walk (instead of a t-shirt you get a mug and a pint of beer), with every intention of walking it. One of the guys in our group said he was going to run the whole thing, and I took the bait and said I would too.

I had been fitness walking for two months, getting my pace down to 15 minute miles, but I haven't run with fitness in mind since high school football, 30 years ago. Thankfully the guy made me go a lot slower than I wanted to go and I shocked myself by running the entire route. My leg muscles were very sore for several days after that!

I went from zero interest in running to getting really excited about it in about 37 minutes. I was quite proud of my time! Instantly I knew I was going to start running regularly. Since then I've run at least 5k every other day, stopping only to pick up dog crap when I take my lab with me. I have a second 5k race schedule for Memorial Day and look to improve my time by a few minutes (I'm already down to 32 minutes for 5k on my own).

I went to a running store and had my gait analyzes (bought some Brooks Glycerin 12's), bought some running clothes, and I find myself having a hard time waiting for my next run. Tonight I'll be running the same course as my Monday race, trying to get to a 10 minute pace. i have tentatively planned a 10k for mid July.

With that intro out of the way, my goal for this month, including what I've already run, is 40 miles

5/9: 3.1 miles (first 5k!!)
    5/11: 3.1 miles
    5/13: 3.1 miles
    5/14: 1.5 miles
    5/15: 3.1 miles
    5/17: 3.1 miles
    5/18: 3.8 miles

Progress: 20.8/40
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I think we need to start an "Ask Dr. Wolf" thread. :smiley:

I'll second that.

@Stoshew71 thanks. I'm leaning towards doing nothing. Its very tolerable.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm not conscientious about commenting on individual posts: but I have read them all and you all rock! Sorry for the injuries and hope those who hurt heal quickly....congrats on the PR's and great medals...and @italysharon: though I would love to run the cliffs of Santorini-I'd be happier snorkeling off those same cliffs!

May goal 65 miles

5/1 3.32
    5/2 3.34
    5/3 3.18
    5/4 rest
    5/5 4.21
    5/6 4.00
    5/7 3.15
    5/8 rest
    5/9 6.16
    5/10 4.01
    5/11 strength training
    5/12 snorkeling 3 hours
    5/13 3.37
    5/14 rest
    5/15 3.47
    5/16 3.8
    5/17 3.0
    5/18 snorkeling 3 hours: saw the "hare" of turtles
    U8nb0w.gif

5/19 snorkeling 3 hours: saw the "tortoise" of turtles
    j8b2-u.gif

5/20 5 (very slow) miles on dreadmill (cause my legs are sore from all that snorkeling!)

Total 50.01

(Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date)

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Afternoon with my family doc today. (I'm somewhat enamored with this fellow.) As a side complaint, I mentioned how my foot bothered me. He's so much like me, dry, to the point, bluntly states "that's a Mortons neuroma, you need surgery".

Hmmm, I may just live with it. Any one with experience?

@elise4270...I found this... "High-heeled shoes have been linked to the development of Morton's neuroma. Many people experience relief by switching to lower heeled shoes with wider toe boxes. Sometimes corticosteroid injections or surgery may be necessary."

It appears that you will have to stop running in heels and do what I do... run in zero-drop minimalist shoes. Only downside is that if you do that and start drinking whiskey too, you may develop a bad case of Wolf's neurosis, which can sometimes lead to dark mood swings when anything interferes with your running. A common symptom is repeatedly telling people, when they ask what's wrong, that you are just "fine". It seems innocent enough, but in cases of Wolf's neurosis it often means that when you are unable to run you are F**ked up, Insecure, Neurotic and Emotional.

Oh man, I'm already there, minus the whisky and high heels. That can't be good... I tend to give people the thumbs up and simultaneously extend the middle finder.

@emmy15rocks I'm using the Garmin 620 (I'm a data nerd). I started with the fr70, that didn't survive a scuba dive and I used Strava for a while. Still do on occasion.