I want pizza!

Options
13»

Replies

• LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I make the Slimming World Smash pizza. The base is made of dried potato powder (sounds gross... but it's good and less calories than normal pizza. My hubby even likes it). For 2 servings, I mix 120g of smash with slightly less hot water than you would need normally. Let it cool then smoosh it into a thin base on a lined baking tray. Bake for 20 min., then flip onto another lined tray and bake the other side for about 20 min. I use a tomato sauce from passata, paste, and then just throw in garlic powder and herbs. Spread that on with some cheese, and other toppings and bake for 10 more minutes. A massive amount of it is about 300 calories. Lots of recipes and blogs on the google will be able to give more tips on making it too.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    My bigger issue is time & money. I don't make much. And food stamps don't cover all of our groceries month to month. No time to coupon and frankly generic is usually cheaper even with a coupon. Recipes that are quick and easy usually aren't healthy & /or bland.

Oh, I couldn't agree less. Where are you getting recipes?

Pizza is pretty cheap to make yourself. Flour, yeast, tomato sauce, bargain brand cheese, these things are not expensive. You can easily use frozen vegetables to top it, since the vegetables will be cooked anyway.

Dry beans and rice do take time to cook, but very little prep time and are very healthy. Again, frozen vegetables will round out the meal nicely.

Frozen fruit and old fashioned oats and a little sugar can make a delicious and healthy dessert in just a few minutes.

Frozen fruits and vegetables, pasta, rice, beans, eggs. These are cheap and healthy staple foods. Buy fresh produce when it's on sale. Stock up on meat/fish when it's on sale and freeze it. Make soups, chilis, stews and freeze them for quick premade meals, rather buying expensive nutrient poor premade meals from the store.

I appreciate yours and everyone's input. I'll take then all into consideration. Me and my son used to make homage pizzas alot. Either homemade crust or use biscuit dough. I just always see bread as "bad". I found a frozen pizza by digornio ate half and was just over 300!
    I usually get my recipes from pinterest. I use to be on there way too much. Seems things pile up on me as the years go by. Always more to do and more I could be doing. Single parenting is rough. I also have bipolar II disorder so extreme depression alot makes me not want to do much of anything. Working on it all. I need to be a healthier momma for my boy. The healthier eating and fitness is rough and time consuming but I'm feeling much better in the short amount of time I've put the effort in this time around.
    thanks again everyone!

You're making this much harder on yourself than it has to be. And when it's really difficult to stick with, you won't make it for the long haul.

Firstly, don't undereat your calories. Faster is not better, and it could lead to binging in some people. A moderate deficit is already calculated by MFP. Eat up to your calorie goal including some of your exercise calories. I found that the MFP estimates are really high, so I log half or two-thirds of them (manually change the calories "earned" when I log the exercise).

Secondly, don't consider any one food good or bad. Look at the nutritional value in the context of your entire day. Aim for a good portion of fruit and vegetables (and a variety) throughout the day to help get your micronutrients (or take a multivitamin), and then aim for your macro goal. Make sure you focus on foods that keep you feeling satiated, but find room for small treats so that you don't feel deprived. I find preplanning my days helps a lot. I will also save up a few calories a few days in a row if I know I'm going out or going to eat a lot on the weekend (for example).

And definitely have some pizza.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    My bigger issue is time & money. I don't make much. And food stamps don't cover all of our groceries month to month. No time to coupon and frankly generic is usually cheaper even with a coupon. Recipes that are quick and easy usually aren't healthy & /or bland.

Oh, I couldn't agree less. Where are you getting recipes?

Pizza is pretty cheap to make yourself. Flour, yeast, tomato sauce, bargain brand cheese, these things are not expensive. You can easily use frozen vegetables to top it, since the vegetables will be cooked anyway.

Dry beans and rice do take time to cook, but very little prep time and are very healthy. Again, frozen vegetables will round out the meal nicely.

Frozen fruit and old fashioned oats and a little sugar can make a delicious and healthy dessert in just a few minutes.

Frozen fruits and vegetables, pasta, rice, beans, eggs. These are cheap and healthy staple foods. Buy fresh produce when it's on sale. Stock up on meat/fish when it's on sale and freeze it. Make soups, chilis, stews and freeze them for quick premade meals, rather buying expensive nutrient poor premade meals from the store.

I appreciate yours and everyone's input. I'll take then all into consideration. Me and my son used to make homage pizzas alot. Either homemade crust or use biscuit dough. I just always see bread as "bad". I found a frozen pizza by digornio ate half and was just over 300!
    I usually get my recipes from pinterest. I use to be on there way too much. Seems things pile up on me as the years go by. Always more to do and more I could be doing. Single parenting is rough. I also have bipolar II disorder so extreme depression alot makes me not want to do much of anything. Working on it all. I need to be a healthier momma for my boy. The healthier eating and fitness is rough and time consuming but I'm feeling much better in the short amount of time I've put the effort in this time around.
    thanks again everyone!

Forget pinterest for recipes. Every single one I've tried has been terrible. I use allrecipes.com for mine now, and sort them by highest rating. If it has high star ratings, you know it's good. Plus people can comment on the recipes on how to make them better and/or more flavorful.