Fasting days

Options
Hello all,

My question is not on intermittent fasting, but rather actual fasting from dinner to breakfast. So for example, eating normal size dinner on Monday, then fasting all Tuesday, and starting normal eating on Wednesday morning.

I am suggesting that this should be done every week, but lets say doing this once a month. I am also not suggesting doing this for longer than a day (I know that it is more than 24 hours). I am also not suggesting binging pre or post the fast. I also understand that if you have an eating disorder, or a physical/mental illness this should not be done.

However, people fasted for thousands of years. And if we think about being a hunter in pre-ages, people had to fast once in a while. I am thinking this may be a good way to reset the system without killing your metabolism.

I've done this a couple of times. I do not feel tragically hungry on the fast day, and I feel good the day after the fast.

What do you guys think? Does anyone do this?

Please keep it civil. I can see people having very strong opinions on this topic.
Thank you!

Replies

• kclay1021
    kclay1021 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used to but I would be absolutely miserable on the fasting day . . . so I stopped. I find that there are better ways for me to maintain and even "reset" my system than a complete fast which causes me to want to kill everyone in my path but to each their own.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about this. I've often thought about it, because like you said this would have been common in our history. I just can't seem to go more than one meal before getting shakey though, so I've never attempted to go longer than that.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Hey to each their own, but I know myself and if I didn't eat for that long of a time period I wouldn't be able to function! I am one that eats dinner and then really doesn't eat breakfast I'm just not too hungry so lunch is my first main meal at around 11:30.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Nope. I fast once a year for religious reasons and I find that it actually makes me eat bigger meals before and after. As a weight loss technique, I think it's not very smart for me, since I find it easier to eat steadily and regularly.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    NOOOO I do not do this... only if I have the FLU...
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I would probably be in jail for punching someone in the face on the fasted day. This is coming from a guy who follows the 16:8 IF protocol. I've fasted for 18 hrs before because I knew I was going to have a big meal later that day and wanted to have as many calories as possible. That got rough towards the end of the 18 hours. Not sure I could go 24 hours without food just because I want to lose some weight.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I fast because I think it's healthful and a good way to manage my calories on occasion. When I tried to fast on a schedule it became increasingly difficult for me, even though it was easy at first, so I stopped (I tried 5:2). I probably fast two or three times a year now and those fasts range from 1-3 days long.

Anything more than that would be forced and not comfortable so weekly or monthly fasts are out of the question for me.
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I used to highly recommend this to people, but realized I don't have the willpower to do it myself anymore.
    If you can do it and not binge afterwards, its great!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Not for weight loss, but I do occasionally fast due to a defective digestive system. I never feel sickly hungry and I don't binge either before or after so it serves its purpose for me. However, I got sucked into a fasting thread yesterday that did not end well, so I'm out of this one now.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I used to fast for a day every now and then. I did it for weight control, but not on any type of schedule. I'd just feel my pants getting snug, or feel like I'd been eating too much junk, or too much in general, so I'd just not eat the next day. I never felt the need to binge or even really felt it was difficult. I should probably consider getting back into that habit. I was never close to overweight back then.
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just fast from 12am yesterday to 8am today and it wasn't too bad. Of course I craved and wanted foods but I didn't budge. I drank a lot of water and this morning I felt great. I still feel great. I ate some oranges and peanut butter this morning and just came back from a walk after cleaning my apartment. I feel good :)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I do this .. maybe every 10 days or so .. depending on dinner and breakfast timing, the fast is usually 30-40 hours. I find that I'm thinking more clearly, feel great, and every cardio/endurance personal best I have had has come fasted.

I recommend it.
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the math and I can't figure out how this can make a meaningful difference. And that's assuming that you don't let the fast day affect your eating immediately before and after (unlikely) or the rest of the month (again unlikely).
    We do full day fasts twice a year for religious reasons, and several other minor fasts (sunup to sundown), and when I look around my synagogue it's not exactly filled with skinny people ;)
  • ElizabethElane
    ElizabethElane Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I find myself not eating at all when I am stressed and just drinking some water to get through the day as well as possibly a doctor pepper in order to keep my energy up. I have never officially fasted however, and I have always been curious to as if it is different from just not eating when you get stressed or nervous.
  • Kaylinerst3663
    Kaylinerst3663 Posts: 33 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Honestly this is still intermittent fasting (I consider anything under 36 hours intermittent), specifically, I believe it is the Eat, Stop, Eat method, except I believe that method has you fasting twice a week for 24 hours.

I don't have problems with it, I can go without food for 24 hours pretty easily and it can be an effective tool for weight loss. I don't use it currently though. I just eat when I feel like it. If i dont feel like eating that day, I don't.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I fasted Monday (just as an IF since it was a day off from the gym) and on Tuesday had a horrible workout at the gym. It might not be related, but it's the first workout in months where I just didn't feel like I had any energy. I still increased on most of my lifts, but my head/heart wasn't in it. That's the last time I go a day without eating, I can tell you that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Outside of religious/spiritual beliefs, I don't see the point. Your system does not need resetting. I always like the "our ancestors did X, Y, and Z" stuff too...as if they had a choice in the matter.

I'll kill a mo-fo if I don't have food for 24 hours...
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    I'm doing the math and I can't figure out how this can make a meaningful difference. And that's assuming that you don't let the fast day affect your eating immediately before and after (unlikely) or the rest of the month (again unlikely).
    We do full day fasts twice a year for religious reasons, and several other minor fasts (sunup to sundown), and when I look around my synagogue it's not exactly filled with skinny people ;)

Lets assume your maintenance calories are 2400/day. If you lose a day of calories and do nothing else, you have created an average 350 cal/day deficit .. or about 3/4 of a pound per week loss. That seems like a meaningful difference.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »

What you do on non-fast days is obviously going to be a huge contributor.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I've fasted on religious holidays and I wasn't exactly a bouncing ball of energy. I also can't see myself doing something that I wouldn't recommend to my kids. I like to model healthy eating behaviors and they would definitely question this. It's not for me, but to each his own.