Beans...who eats them?

Options
I have been eating more beans lately. Like black beans in a salad or mixed with quinoa. My main source of protein is chicken. If I run out, I eat the beans. I always have them in the pantry. They don't have a lot of calories and they don't seem to bother my stomach.
Do you eat them?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    No.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes, I eat them...but beans tend to be calorie dense..so I'm not sure where you're getting "low calorie" from. Beans and legumes in general are really good for you.

I make a big batch of pinto beans every weekend...they are a staple food in my family. Your best bet is to use a food scale...85 grams (1/2 cup) of cooked pinto beans is around 122 calories...it is not a very big serving of beans...make sure you're accurately calculating your portions and calories.
  • fsimms1971
    fsimms1971 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hate beans
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I'm eating them right now. :yum:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I love beans/legumes and eat them often, but as cwolfman mentions, they aren't really low calorie. They are nutritious though!
  • badgermama220
    badgermama220 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Love them. I don't have them as often as I should. My kids love them too :) black beans and rice, black beans and corn, vegetarian or lean chili, soups, etc. Very easy to keep on hand and throw into many recipes to up the nutritional value!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    had refried beans as part of my lunch today :) I usually eat them once a week or so.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Hate, hate black beans... But I love pinto beans, northern beans, kidney beans,...

I even like those Beanito's chips..
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    At least once a week, in chilis and stews. I also make my own hummus. I have kidney, black, pinto, garbanzo, black eyed and navy beans.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I like and eat beans pretty frequently. My 2 year old loves beans, especially black beans. My husband could take them or leave them and my 7 year old hates them, mostly on principle I think.

I make big batches from dry in my crock pot and freeze them in can sized portions so I always have them on hand.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i have a big pot of pinto beans soaking in time to be done when i get home from work.

When i get home, i'm going to throw some cumin in my soup pot. Once i can smell it, i'm adding 1/4 cup of bacon grease, a couple medium yellow onions, diced, a couple chopped serrano peppers, and a couple minced garlic cloves, along with some bacon, and throw the beans on top.

Once it's about done, some salt, pepper, and chili powder, and then cook to perfection.

I'm hungry.....
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I haven't made any in a while but beans are great. :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    wonko221 wrote: »
    i have a big pot of pinto beans soaking in time to be done when i get home from work.

When i get home, i'm going to throw some cumin in my soup pot. Once i can smell it, i'm adding 1/4 cup of bacon grease, a couple medium yellow onions, diced, a couple chopped serrano peppers, and a couple minced garlic cloves, along with some bacon, and throw the beans on top.

Once it's about done, some salt, pepper, and chili powder, and then cook to perfection.

I'm hungry.....

This sounds really really yummy... and now I am hungry too..
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I love beans. I love all kinds of beans.

Remember, they are the musical fruit...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I do <raises hand> I eat some type of bean just about every day. Sometimes for more than one meal. They are packed with nutrients, low calorie, cheap and very versatile. I can't seem to hit my fiber goal without beans.
  • mimi90a
    mimi90a Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Beans are my go to for a nutritious boost at the end of the day. A good serving size is half a cup, which is generally around 120 calories, depending on what bean type. Just watch the sodium levels you are consuming when using canned beans. I prefer black beans and pinto beans. I buy the low sodium canned versions then typically dump fresh salsa on top. Very fast vegetable to make for dinner, open can, microwave for 2 minutes and BOOM, delicious. They also get the gastrointestinal benefits moving and shaking, helping weight loss even more! If you can't spend 120 calories on healthy beans, you have other problems!
  • QueerAbuela
    QueerAbuela Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I looooove beans, I have beans every single day usually. I don't eat meat or any other animal product so beans and legumes are usually my main source of protein. Plus I just adore black beans, they're one of my favorite foods ever.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I love beans. I can't eat them as much or as often as I'd like but I eat black beans in chili several times a month -- which are the only days I get any where near the recommended amount of fiber.
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just planted some in my new garden. Calypso beans!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    We have kidney beans,great northern & black beans often. I like garbanzo too,but not my husband. Bean salad keeps in the fridge,easy to top off mixed salad with them,or add to canned soup etc.