Personal Trainer Posting Tips and Motivation

Options
Hey everyone! I'm a personal trainer and want to inspire and be inspired! We all can help one another to reach our goals :) let's get healthy and let's stay healthy!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hey Emmy...welcome to MFP.

We have lots of very experienced and knowledgeable people here so it's always nice to hear from new people.

If you want to post tips and motivation, may I suggest the motivation board, otherwise just get stuck in.

As a fair warning though, we tend to go with science here ..so if you are in to nutritional rules and fads be prepared to back it up

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Welcome from one trainer to another.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • emmy_marino
    emmy_marino Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I figured this is actually one of the best forums to motivate others and be transparent about what you actually eat as a trainer :) We are not perfect but we have learned to make educated choices when it comes to nutrition and some people don't have that same background! I'm completely against fads! I am all about making a healthy change that works for YOU we are not all the same! I'll def check out the motivational board thanks for the tip :)
  • emmy_marino
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

We have lots of very experienced and knowledgeable people here so it's always nice to hear from new people.

If you want to post tips and motivation, may I suggest the motivation board, otherwise just get stuck in.

As a fair warning though, we tend to go with science here ..so if you are in to nutritional rules and fads be prepared to back it up

Completely see what you meant here I should have taken your warning more seriously! I don't believe in rules and fads because my training is based on an individual basis what works for one person will not work so well with another but I also believe we need a benchmark starting point and then adjust it for clients from there.

Making that post though was such a great learning experience in itself I will be a better contributor on this site as a result of it and it's lit a fire in me to become a better author and communicate better throughout my posts.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Being in the industry for a long time now, and watching some PT's stroll through here with little experience then think they can try to educate a lot of the more experienced users, usually humbles them. Lot's HAVEN'T returned since. Hopefully you take the opportunity to learn from them too.
    My advice would be to make sure that anything you post for advice has some PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL EVIDENCE to to back it because many times you'll get called out on it. Lol, my "prison" thread was one that had only very little research done (on either side) and argumentation was a fiasco.
    Anyway, it's a great community. You can learn from them, just like they can learn from you.............for free.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I want to hear more about the "prison" thread!
  • ninerbuff
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I want to hear more about the "prison" thread!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10150286/if-the-food-industry-is-the-apparent-issue-for-obesity-and-health-issues/p1

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, can't believe I missed it. Interesting take :wink:
  • girlviernes
    Options
    You should have posted that to my questions, hypotheses, and curiousities thread, which is a safe zone for all things speculative.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Being in the industry for a long time now, and watching some PT's stroll through here with little experience then think they can try to educate a lot of the more experienced users, usually humbles them. Lot's HAVEN'T returned since. Hopefully you take the opportunity to learn from them too.
    My advice would be to make sure that anything you post for advice has some PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL EVIDENCE to to back it because many times you'll get called out on it. Lol, my "prison" thread was one that had only very little research done (on either side) and argumentation was a fiasco.
    Anyway, it's a great community. You can learn from them, just like they can learn from you.............for free.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Very true @ninerbuff , especially the bolded part.
  • emmy_marino
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I feel though there should be a separate section for these experienced users and then they can talk about specifics etc when I wrote on the General Weight Loss board I was realllllly thinking General and lamens terms and keeping it very very surface just to open up people to looking at Macros where they once didn't even know what macros were! I gave generalized norms which are able to be researched everywhere and are well known starting points then the discussion changed into talking about building muscle and the mechanics behind it and I was like woah hold on here do we need to start a new discussion I was simply referring to macros and it being 1 way of so many that you can use to see how balanced your eating habits are. For the average (I'm saying average not an athlete or specialized training) person if you are cutting calories and the goal is to lose weight but your macros consistently show you consume 80 percent carbs, 10 percent fat and 10 percent protein well you will definitely not be reaching your daily requirement for protein and most likely sky rocketing over your g alotted for carbs. I was simply trying to give a different perspective for some on this app this post was directed at complete beginners.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Completely see what you meant here I should have taken your warning more seriously! I don't believe in rules and fads because my training is based on an individual basis what works for one person will not work so well with another but I also believe we need a benchmark starting point and then adjust it for clients from there.

Making that post though was such a great learning experience in itself I will be a better contributor on this site as a result of it and it's lit a fire in me to become a better author and communicate better throughout my posts.

*chuckles* I shall avoid my patented told you so dance ;)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I feel though there should be a separate section for these experienced users and then they can talk about specifics etc when I wrote on the General Weight Loss board I was realllllly thinking General and lamens terms and keeping it very very surface just to open up people to looking at Macros where they once didn't even know what macros were! I gave generalized norms which are able to be researched everywhere and are well known starting points then the discussion changed into talking about building muscle and the mechanics behind it and I was like woah hold on here do we need to start a new discussion I was simply referring to macros and it being 1 way of so many that you can use to see how balanced your eating habits are. For the average (I'm saying average not an athlete or specialized training) person if you are cutting calories and the goal is to lose weight but your macros consistently show you consume 80 percent carbs, 10 percent fat and 10 percent protein well you will definitely not be reaching your daily requirement for protein and most likely sky rocketing over your g alotted for carbs. I was simply trying to give a different perspective for some on this app this post was directed at complete beginners.

Nope, absolutely disagree ...this is how you educate the naive, by getting them stuck in with the knowledgable folk and watching their argy-bargy and adding to it ...we all have to learn
  • emmy_marino
    Options

*chuckles* I shall avoid my patented told you so dance ;)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Nope, absolutely disagree ...this is how you educate the naive, by getting them stuck in with the knowledgable folk and watching their argy-bargy and adding to it ...we all have to learn

Tough love right! No that does make sense and while I am very confident in my knowledge I can always and will always be learning more! I see the short comings of my post but I also see people moving the point away from what the intent was and focusing on specific sentences and taking things out of context. Sometimes newbies could be scared off by it not me I'm new to this app as a contributor but not new to the industry and sticking to my guns to try and help people and share my knowledge as others share theirs. Funny part of the post was that to seasoned individuals what I was saying is nothing new we ve all read it in texts and we ve all been told it's never a one size fits all and these norms are simply "guidelines" & "starting points".

Ps. The I told you so dance is warranted :)

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The only information that is acceptable to give around here is CICO, you aren't logging correctly, lift heavy, and IIFYM. The mere mention of anything other than these will surely start an argument.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    The only information that is acceptable to give around here is CICO, you aren't logging correctly, lift heavy, and IIFYM. The mere mention of anything other than these will surely start an argument.

Actually I think you'll find the other end of the spectrum here is well-populated with people who hold that sugar is evil and needs to be avoided, there's something inherently wrong with 'processing', and that everyone can eat intuitively.

This site is replete with any kind of strawman we want to make up. If you can dream it, someone has said it here.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Exactly my point. Those people are heavily attacked by the above mentioned crowd when anything outside of the things i listed is proposed.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Exactly my point. Those people are heavily attacked by the above mentioned crowd when anything outside of the things i listed is proposed.

Oh I must have misinterpreted your intent. I assumed you were accusing one camp of doing something, when it happens from multiple sides all time.

Just an attempt to clarify
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Don't ever suggest someone to eat an apple!! o:) Forbidden.
  • emmy_marino
    Options
    CurvyToFit wrote: »
    Don't ever suggest someone to eat an apple!! o:) Forbidden.

Lol
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

That was a "heavy attack" smh.