Personal Trainer Posting Tips and Motivation

Options
2»

Replies

• mylovelyhumps
    mylovelyhumps Posts: 16 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OK.. Well, maybe someone can help me out here :/ I need answers :# I lost a lot of muscle due to illness (cancer) I'm trying to make remission and gain my muscle back. I'm trying to figure out which amino acids to take and how much. I just started taking sprouts glutamine 500mg 2x day. Before and after workouts... :|
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I was simply trying to give a different perspective for some on this app this post was directed at complete beginners.

I think this is one of the greatest examples of why MFP actually WORKS. Instead of allowing newbie users to only talk with other newbie users and kick pseudosciencey-fad diety- detoxy- cleansey-nonsense back and forth they are exposed to the information they need!

MFP is such a great community because it gives those who are ignorant an opportunity to learn about nutrition, exercise, and general "dieting" information they may not have ever had. Because we don't have an agenda (okay, maybe other than feelin' cool ;) ).

This allows users to then research, educate others, and make serious lifelong changes. You can't ever be suckered into some fad-diet/scam/diet pill once you know exactly the method in which they operate. The more knowledge we obtain the easier it is to live a life of good health, fitness, aesthetics, or whatever the goal may be. :)

It's also important to note that there are many people on MFP who are certified trainers, dietitians, etc. We have the whole spectrum of users from complete newb to physicians/RDs, etc. So there's really no need to use the title of "personal trainer" as a means to build credibility. Either what you saw is backed by science and fact or it is not.

Welcome to MFP! :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    OK.. Well, maybe someone can help me out here :/ I need answers :# I lost a lot of muscle due to illness (cancer) I'm trying to make remission and gain my muscle back. I'm trying to figure out which amino acids to take and how much. I just started taking sprouts glutamine 500mg 2x day. Before and after workouts... :|

Wow, first congrats to you for beating cancer!

You might want to take this question to the Weight Gain forum.

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Did this turn into a mean people thread yet?

Nah, OP is being very gracious. I'm sure someone will ride in and white knight her despite that though.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I was simply trying to give a different perspective for some on this app this post was directed at complete beginners.

I think this is one of the greatest examples of why MFP actually WORKS. Instead of allowing newbie users to only talk with other newbie users and kick pseudosciencey-fad diety- detoxy- cleansey-nonsense back and forth they are exposed to the information they need!

MFP is such a great community because it gives those who are ignorant an opportunity to learn about nutrition, exercise, and general "dieting" information they may not have ever had. Because we don't have an agenda (okay, maybe other than feelin' cool ;) ).

This allows users to then research, educate others, and make serious lifelong changes. You can't ever be suckered into some fad-diet/scam/diet pill once you know exactly the method in which they operate. The more knowledge we obtain the easier it is to live a life of good health, fitness, aesthetics, or whatever the goal may be. :)

It's also important to note that there are many people on MFP who are certified trainers, dietitians, etc. We have the whole spectrum of users from complete newb to physicians/RDs, etc. So there's really no need to use the title of "personal trainer" as a means to build credibility. Either what you saw is backed by science and fact or it is not.

Welcome to MFP! :)

Great post.

Over my years, generally those personal trainers that have come onto this board are only looking to expand their businesses and in many cases were not very knowledgeable at all.

• emmy_marino
    emmy_marino Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey when you post things on the www you open yourself up to this ... A simple post about monitoring your macros on this app by the end of it the comments and everything had nothing to do with what the simple intent was. This is all part of the process I don't take these posts to heart people have good intent (mostly) and are trying to make sure that what's being posted is accurate. There's no problem with that it's that some people take it to the next level there are ways to argue your point in a positive way where you are trying to get the OP to see things from a different perspective and then there are those negative nancies questioning my knowledge and telling me I'm against carbs or that fitness and nutrition fields are completely separate. The post on the other forum was simply too broad and needed more explanation and people read into it as if it was some scholarly article they needed to review and critique and present in front of the class. Thanks to those that critiqued positively and helped me see the flaws in my post and doing it constructively I really tried to respond to everyone lol there are definitely some posts I want to make on the fitness forum just some fun effective exercises for those that want to try something new! That's a safe forum and in line with my line of work :) wishing you all continued success on this app!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on the forums--some have degrees and certifications, some don't. If you know your stuff, your words will speak for themselves.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    I'm going to school to be a trainer too so welcome to the PT club lol.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I thought about it-Becoming a PT, I had gotten myself in slicey dicey arguments on forums myself and yet still held my ground when i decided i had no time to waste and left HAHAHAHA. Oh well. I get my knowledge from my uncle who had been a successful body builder for a short while then a masters in nutrition and a seasoned martial artist so i trust his passion and knowledge and his best interest at my health.
  • mylovelyhumps
    mylovelyhumps Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would prefer to maintain weight but turn it to muscle. The issue I'm having is with muscle loss. My muscle began to deteriorate and when I finished the treatments I packed on weight really quickly so, I researched it and found that I wasn't the only patient this had happened to. Some patients relate it to the medication. I have been going to pilates for a few months and have developed some tone but it has been difficult. I have recently started doing more weights.I read on a cancer forum that glutamine is great for patients and patients with autoimmune disorders.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Being in the industry for a long time now, and watching some PT's stroll through here with little experience then think they can try to educate a lot of the more experienced users, usually humbles them. Lot's HAVEN'T returned since. Hopefully you take the opportunity to learn from them too.
    My advice would be to make sure that anything you post for advice has some PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL EVIDENCE to to back it because many times you'll get called out on it. Lol, my "prison" thread was one that had only very little research done (on either side) and argumentation was a fiasco.
    Anyway, it's a great community. You can learn from them, just like they can learn from you.............for free.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I feel though there should be a separate section for these experienced users and then they can talk about specifics etc when I wrote on the General Weight Loss board I was realllllly thinking General and lamens terms and keeping it very very surface just to open up people to looking at Macros where they once didn't even know what macros were! I gave generalized norms which are able to be researched everywhere and are well known starting points then the discussion changed into talking about building muscle and the mechanics behind it and I was like woah hold on here do we need to start a new discussion I was simply referring to macros and it being 1 way of so many that you can use to see how balanced your eating habits are. For the average (I'm saying average not an athlete or specialized training) person if you are cutting calories and the goal is to lose weight but your macros consistently show you consume 80 percent carbs, 10 percent fat and 10 percent protein well you will definitely not be reaching your daily requirement for protein and most likely sky rocketing over your g alotted for carbs. I was simply trying to give a different perspective for some on this app this post was directed at complete beginners.

So what is an experienced user? Someone that took an on-line or weekend PT classs or someone who has been living a heathy, fittness oriented lifestyle for 30+ years but no "formal" training in the field?
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    The only information that is acceptable to give around here is CICO, you aren't logging correctly, lift heavy, and IIFYM. The mere mention of anything other than these will surely start an argument.

You are correct, sir.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    you should check out my 'trust in CICO thread'. It went from an innocent 'isnt CICO great' thread from a newbie into a biology lesson. I tuned out after the first couple of pages
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    The only information that is acceptable to give around here is CICO, you aren't logging correctly, lift heavy, and IIFYM. The mere mention of anything other than these will surely start an argument.

You are correct, sir.

really? now that's interesting. Esp since I have a lot of friends who do IF, run, crossfit etc

It's the elimination crew that gets asked questions about why, how and to show examples of what they are saying and often can't beyond a blog or two...sorry if you consider that an argument you are in the wrong place...
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I would prefer to maintain weight but turn it to muscle. The issue I'm having is with muscle loss. My muscle began to deteriorate and when I finished the treatments I packed on weight really quickly so, I researched it and found that I wasn't the only patient this had happened to. Some patients relate it to the medication. I have been going to pilates for a few months and have developed some tone but it has been difficult. I have recently started doing more weights.I read on a cancer forum that glutamine is great for patients and patients with autoimmune disorders.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. You generally only have the ability to lose some fat or gain muscle/fat. But so we don't hijack the thread, jump over to the gaining weight section. MrM has a fantastic post that was stickied.

• psuLemon
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

You are correct, sir.

really? now that's interesting. Esp since I have a lot of friends who do IF, run, crossfit etc

It's the elimination crew that gets asked questions about why, how and to show examples of what they are saying and often can't beyond a blog or two...sorry if you consider that an argument you are in the wrong place...

In all honesty, these conversations would got a lot better, if there weren't so many extremist who make ridiculous claims. I am all for low carb diets, especially for those with medical conditions or find that WOE an easier way of sticking with a deficit, but I can't tell you how many times I have been in a thread that suggest LCHF burns more fat faster than other diets because it's "not burning carbs" or whatever. Or even better, I love the threads that claim sugar is not only physically addictive but also compares to cocaine.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

You are correct, sir.

In all honesty, these conversations would got a lot better, if there weren't so many extremist who make ridiculous claims. I am all for low carb diets, especially for those with medical conditions or find that WOE an easier way of sticking with a deficit, but I can't tell you how many times I have been in a thread that suggest LCHF burns more fat faster than other diets because it's "not burning carbs" or whatever. Or even better, I love the threads that claim sugar is not only physically addictive but also compares to cocaine.

x2
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

You are correct, sir.

x2

X millionty-two