Exercise 'not key to obesity fight' Doctors say

Oh god the comments on this article are so much fat logic. I'm glad I belong here and not there

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-32417699?ocid=socialflow_facebook

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Another example of complex issues being turned in to bite size digestable tidbits for the uneducated believe anything masses. The golden arrow of the media expert.

Malhotra is the latest in a long line of TV doctors. I believe his speciality is cardiology. However he is appearing on every TV show known to man at present talking about the evil sugar.

The last one I watched waited to the end of a 20 minute segment about the evils of sugar intake to mention in passing that fruit and milk also contain sugar. Up until then they litereally talked about shovelling teaspoons of the white granulated goodness down your gullet.

It's biased and slanted made for public consumption drivel based on some complex research findings.

Ironically I was running a 10k on a treadmill at the gym when he was on the other day doing a 'newspaper review's segment on Sky News.

• misstweedy
    misstweedy Posts: 45 Member
    Well, that's based on the assumption that weight loss is the one and only goal; as usual, there's no distinction between weight loss and fat loss and it just feeds into the current obsession with being "thin" which is pretty unhealthy in itself.
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    I've been seeing articles like this recently, but I thought the point they were making is not that exercise isn't important, but that diet is more important to weight loss. Makes sense. The average obese person can't exercise off 1000 calories in a go, but you sure can eat 1000 calories in one meal/snack/milkshake. The titles are often misleading so they can grab attention, sure.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    I've been seeing articles like this recently, but I thought the point they were making is not that exercise isn't important, but that diet is more important to weight loss. Makes sense. The average obese person can't exercise off 1000 calories in a go, but you sure can eat 1000 calories in one meal/snack/milkshake. The titles are often misleading so they can grab attention, sure.

Absolutely Sophia, funny how you see what many mfpers do not and they dont even bother to read the article . This is the sixth time theres been a thread on it. What it says is pretty uncontroversial, although am not convinced by the food industry conspiracy angle.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    The abstract the editorial was based on was pulled. Why is it still being written about?

See this link:

http://m.bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2015/04/29/bjsports-2015-094911
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    This article is snip its of just overloaded crap.. It is poorly written..

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    999tigger wrote: »

Absolutely Sophia, funny how you see what many mfpers do not and they dont even bother to read the article . This is the sixth time theres been a thread on it. What it says is pretty uncontroversial, although am not convinced by the food industry conspiracy angle.

The original abstract was pulled by the BSJ, and one of the authors then went to the media, and the food industry conspiracy angle was born.

One of the other authors is already in hot water for telling parents to wean a toddler and put them on a low carb diet in texts. I think the food industry conspiracy angle might be playing into his defense as well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Like I said in the other thread, the idea that activity isn't related to obesity is wrong and the authors of the study in question haven't shown otherwise.

The doctor in this new article is going on about combatting ideas that seem to me pretty uncommon--that you can just exercise a lot and make no other intentional changes (keep eating whatever you want) and lose weight. Some people can, most probably won't, and it certainly would be a lot slower, at best. I think it's widely agreed that understanding and controlling food intake in some way is important for weight loss.

Is it the key to avoiding obesity societally? Who knows--the problem with obesity societally is compliance with any plan over time (and that would include the "eat less sweet stuff" plan). I continue to think that on a societal level activity (not necessarily "exercise" but regular daily activity, including regular walking, as well as normal activity that kids used to indulge in back in the day and some still do) is extremely important and complains some of the differences between places where obesity is a problem and others where it is not.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    While it is true that one doesn't have to increase one's activity to lose weight, that is a far cry from it being true that exercise doesn't help reduce weight. It is also a far cry from saying that lack of exercise isn't part of the reason for the increase in obesity.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    While it is true that one doesn't have to increase one's activity to lose weight, that is a far cry from it being true that exercise doesn't help reduce weight. It is also a far cry from saying that lack of exercise isn't part of the reason for the increase in obesity.

Its not what the original article said, though.

I just wish when an article is posted people would read it and ideally look at the original article, then use some rational analysis of whats being said and in what context.

Decided going to the gym will be more productive.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    999tigger wrote: »

Its not what the original article said, though.

I just wish when an article is posted people would read it and ideally look at the original article, then use some rational analysis of whats being said and in what context.

Decided going to the gym will be more productive.

Considering that the "original article" has been removed due to some "concern," it is a little hard to read. But the OP posted a link to a different article and one with a video. That is the one this thread is about, so that's the one I'm responding to. If you want to talk about some other article, start your own thread.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    exercise is unnecessary for weight loss? wow, ground breaking stuff here….

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    cityruss wrote: »
    Another example of complex issues being turned in to bite size digestable tidbits for the uneducated believe anything masses. The golden arrow of the media expert.

Malhotra is the latest in a long line of TV doctors. I believe his speciality is cardiology. However he is appearing on every TV show known to man at present talking about the evil sugar.

The last one I watched waited to the end of a 20 minute segment about the evils of sugar intake to mention in passing that fruit and milk also contain sugar. Up until then they litereally talked about shovelling teaspoons of the white granulated goodness down your gullet.

It's biased and slanted made for public consumption drivel based on some complex research findings.

Ironically I was running a 10k on a treadmill at the gym when he was on the other day doing a 'newspaper review's segment on Sky News.

It's true that he's dumbing down their message for mass consumption, and everyone appears to have latched on to this 'you can't outrun a bad diet' catch-phrase.

But actually their main point is that many people who are at normal weight still have the kind of health problems that are normally associated with obesity, and in the opinion of these doctors, it is because these people consume too many carbs and sugar. And yes, they believe that this message has been suppressed in the interests of big business, hence why soft drink companies (for example) are allowed to promote their products as being 'healthy'.

Naturally, various attempts are being made to discredit the authors of the 'suppressed' editorial, but Maholtra is actually a member of a much larger group called Action on Sugar, which has 23 other expert advisers on its panel (http://www.actiononsugar.org/) so the list of people that are going to have to be discredited is growing quite long... :smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    cityruss wrote: »

It's true that he's dumbing down their message for mass consumption, and everyone appears to have latched on to this 'you can't outrun a bad diet' catch-phrase.

But actually their main point is that many people who are at normal weight still have the kind of health problems that are normally associated with obesity, and in the opinion of these doctors, it is because these people consume too many carbs and sugar. And yes, they believe that this message has been suppressed in the interests of big business, hence why soft drink companies (for example) are allowed to promote their products as being 'healthy'.

Naturally, various attempts are being made to discredit the authors of the 'suppressed' editorial, but Maholtra is actually a member of a much larger group called Action on Sugar, which has 23 other expert advisers on its panel (http://www.actiononsugar.org/) so the list of people that are going to have to be discredited is growing quite long... :smile:

key word in that sentence "opinion" and we all know what those are like...

too much of anything is "unhealthy"...but yet we always want to blame the carb and sugar demons....
  • ErinJay18
    ErinJay18 Posts: 30 Member
    I think the key to the obesity fight is for obesity to stop being normalized ("I'm no Angel" campaign, Tess Holiday, fat acceptance as a whole) and oh, EAT LESS, MOVE MORE.
  • ErinJay18
    ErinJay18 Posts: 30 Member
    misstweedy wrote: »
    Well, that's based on the assumption that weight loss is the one and only goal; as usual, there's no distinction between weight loss and fat loss and it just feeds into the current obsession with being "thin" which is pretty unhealthy in itself.
    I don't even know where to start with a response. How is being thin unhealthy? I think in your mind you're thinking that everyone that is "thin" starves their self or something
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 649 Member
    Follow a person who is at a healthy weight around for a day.. Or someone who has maintained weight loss for more than 2 years. They are active and many exercise vigorously,

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    ErinJay18 wrote: »
    I don't even know where to start with a response. How is being thin unhealthy? I think in your mind you're thinking that everyone that is "thin" starves their self or something

I read that as the "obsession" aspect being unhealthy.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    ErinJay18 wrote: »
    The poster didn't say that being thin was unhealthy but the obsession itself is unhealthy.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    While I appreciate this is not the best written article... Not everyone knows abs are made in the kitchen... People largely think that if they exercise it doesn't matter what they eat. Also if they're not informed about calories they may assume that a 30 minute run means that they have 'earned' a bottle of red and an entire pizza