Exercise 'not key to obesity fight' Doctors say

Replies

• TheSingingMom
    TheSingingMom Posts: 24 Member
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    I have more energy, less inflammation,

How did you measure this? Was there before and after measurements? If it's just personal opinion/evaluation I'm afraid that proves nothing

The person who posted the comment wrote:

"As far as sugar goes, from personal experience, and this is based on my body chemistry and my metabolism, avoiding processed sugar has amazing positive effects. I have more energy, less inflammation, less water retention, clearer thinking, and a more positive outlook on life. Would everyone? I doubt it, but before you start arguing against something (unless you're arguing just for the sake of arguing), try it and then form your opinions based on your own individual experience.

I doubt this person is trying to prove anything.
    What does that person know about her body chemistry and her metabolism though? And how does she measure having more energy and less inflammation.
    I could come in here and say that eating more sugar made my hair grow thicker and all my lifts shoot up by 10 pounds immediately while being more potent than ever. I got nothing to base that on but that's what I choose to believe.
    That's just a useless statement to make.

She probably knows quite a bit about her body chemistry and metabolism. Don't you know about yours? When you make positive (or negative) changes don't you notice a difference in how you feel or in your bloodwork?
  • TheSingingMom
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Never met anyone who thinks that exercise is a magic bullet.

There's simply no way to sort out or generalize about the contributions of diet vs. exercise.

It is much easier to lose weight if you understand and control your diet. I think that's common knowledge. (As I said in the other thread, even in "eat less, move more" the eating bit is first.)

But people who are active -- societies where people are active in daily life and walk a lot vs. drive -- are less likely to be obese.

I have been that person who thinks that all you should have to do is work out and you will lose weight. I also know tons of people who think that they will lose weight if they run after work or whatever.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

How did you measure this? Was there before and after measurements? If it's just personal opinion/evaluation I'm afraid that proves nothing

"As far as sugar goes, from personal experience, and this is based on my body chemistry and my metabolism, avoiding processed sugar has amazing positive effects. I have more energy, less inflammation, less water retention, clearer thinking, and a more positive outlook on life. Would everyone? I doubt it, but before you start arguing against something (unless you're arguing just for the sake of arguing), try it and then form your opinions based on your own individual experience.

What does that person know about her body chemistry and her metabolism though? And how does she measure having more energy and less inflammation.
    I could come in here and say that eating more sugar made my hair grow thicker and all my lifts shoot up by 10 pounds immediately while being more potent than ever. I got nothing to base that on but that's what I choose to believe.

She probably knows quite a bit about her body chemistry and metabolism. Don't you know about yours? When you make positive (or negative) changes don't you notice a difference in how you feel or in your bloodwork?

I have no idea about my body chemistry and all I know about my metabolism is how many calories I burn in a day. I feel good on any given day, regardless of if I had a bunch of mcdonalds or nutritious homecooked meals. So no.

I also never experienced a "sugar high" or "crash", which people like to talk about when talking about evil sugar either.
  • TheSingingMom
    I have no idea about my body chemistry and all I know about my metabolism is how many calories I burn in a day. I feel good on any given day, regardless of if I had a bunch of mcdonalds or nutritious homecooked meals. So no.

I also never experienced a "sugar high" or "crash", which people like to talk about when talking about evil sugar either.

You may not know about yours but would you say that a person who says they know about theirs is lying? That is what is being done here. A person made a claim about having less inflammation when eating less sugar and was told that she couldn't know that. But that is not true. Inflammation has markers and it can be tested. Many doctors test for inflammation. It is disingenuous to call someone a liar because you don't like their message. You didn't do that but someone else did.

Someone's personal experience is just that. In my personal experience I have to cut carbs to lose weight. That's not true for everyone, but it's true for me. I don't doubt that you never experienced a sugar high or crash. That doesn't mean someone else hasn't experienced it.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

You may not know about yours but would you say that a person who says they know about theirs is lying? That is what is being done here. A person made a claim about having less inflammation when eating less sugar and was told that she couldn't know that. But that is not true. Inflammation has markers and it can be tested. Many doctors test for inflammation. It is disingenuous to call someone a liar because you don't like their message. You didn't do that but someone else did.

Someone's personal experience is just that. In my personal experience I have to cut carbs to lose weight. That's not true for everyone, but it's true for me. I don't doubt that you never experienced a sugar high or crash. That doesn't mean someone else hasn't experienced it.

the point is, unless that person has a medical condition, sugar has nothing to do with it.

More than likely they have lost weight, which has lead to them feeling more energized and having less inflammation.

without providing any more information it is impossible to know, and "dem feelz" is not a legitimate reason ....
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member

Blood work will not show anything as nebulous as "less inflammation" with the exception of CRP, and that is a number that fluctuates on its own all the time, even in the presence of an inflammatory condition. You can get a normal CRP reading and still be suffering from whatever condition you have (per my rheumatologist, I'm not just making things up... I have inflammatory diseases and my CRP numbers have tested all over the place).

As for your metabolism? Outside of having it tested, you can't go by how you "feel". Feelings are subjectively unreliable and easily influenced by confirmation bias.

The placebo effect is a powerful thing. Predicted outcomes are often ascribed by those expecting them to any good days and bad days are generally ignored or forgotten. The fact of the matter is that we all have good days and bad days regardless of how we eat.

• TheSingingMom
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    the point is, unless that person has a medical condition, sugar has nothing to do with it.

More than likely they have lost weight, which has lead to them feeling more energized and having less inflammation.

without providing any more information it is impossible to know, and "dem feelz" is not a legitimate reason ....

How do you know whether sugar has something to do with it or not?
  • PeachyCarol

Because there's no conclusive scientific evidence for the claims about sugar that the anti-sugar crowd makes.

• PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015

Sorry, but the test for a generic inflammation marker are not a reliable indicator. Try again.

• TheSingingMom

Because there's no conclusive scientific evidence for the claims about sugar that the anti-sugar crowd makes.

But there doesn't need to be scientific evidence that something works for an individual if it works for that individual. Saying something works for HER doesn't mean it works for everyone.
  • TheSingingMom

Sorry, but the test for a generic inflammation marker are not a reliable indicator. Try again.

It seems to be pretty reliable.

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-c-reactive-protein-crp-testing

• PeachyCarol

But there doesn't need to be scientific evidence that something works for an individual if it works for that individual. Saying something works for HER doesn't mean it works for everyone.

She hasn't come back to answer my question about her inflammation.

I'd like proof of that. Blood work showing a reduced CRP number isn't proof.

• TheSingingMom

She hasn't come back to answer my question about her inflammation.

I'd like proof of that. Blood work showing a reduced CRP number isn't proof.

Really? Someone has a positive comment about themself and you can't just be happy for them? You need "proof".
  • PeachyCarol

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-c-reactive-protein-crp-testing

Try again. CRP tests for a LOT of things, not just heart disease. It's a general inflammatory marker. I have psoriatic arthritis. A friend of mine on here has ankylosing spondylitis. Both of us get tested regularly by our rheumatologists for our CRP. Mine varies. Last time, mine came back normal. The time before that, it came back high. It can vary according to the disease, the current state of the disease (many inflammatory diseases relapse and remit) and pain levels on a given day. It can even test high because you have a cold. It's not reliable at all.

• ndj1979

how do you know it does?

that's the point, which you seem to have missed. With no information there is no way to know, because there are too many factors.

and "dem feelz" is not a legitimate reason.
  • ndj1979

sure, no one needs science...

wow...
  • TheSingingMom

how do you know it does?

that's the point, which you seem to have missed. With no information there is no way to know, because there are too many factors.

I don't know that it does. But I don't know that it doesn't either.
  • TheSingingMom

sure, no one needs science...

wow...

People don't need a scientific study that something works on an entire population to know whether something works for them. Metabolism and body chemistry are highly individualized. I know that cutting carbs helps me lose weight. I don't need it to work for everyone. I only need it to work for me.

That is not the same thing as saying no one needs science. Can you understand the difference?
  • ndj1979

how do you know it does?

I don't know that it does. But I don't know that it doesn't either.

OK ...so don't know + don't know = don't know.

which means that based on that posters posting we still know nothing..

glad we agree.
  • TheSingingMom

Try again. CRP tests for a LOT of things, not just heart disease. It's a general inflammatory marker. I have psoriatic arthritis. A friend of mine on here has ankylosing spondylitis. Both of us get tested regularly by our rheumatologists for our CRP. Mine varies. Last time, mine came back normal. The time before that, it came back high. It can vary according to the disease, the current state of the disease (many inflammatory diseases relapse and remit) and pain levels on a given day. It can even test high because you have a cold. It's not reliable at all.

The person said she had less inflammation, not less heart disease.