Does your BMR and TDEE change as you lose weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Does anyone know the rate of change? I am going to change to TDEE from NEAT and I know I need to lower it. How much should I lower it for each 10lb lost? 100 calories? 5% (I am currently 207lb)? Another amount or percentage? My estimated TDEE, less 500 calories to lose 1 lb a week would put me in the range of 2100-2200 currently.

That sounds way to high. Running your numbers through the K-M calculator I get a sedentary TDEE of ~1800-ish. That's before creating a deficit.

Instead of adjusting all the way down, seems easier to get your TDEE based on your goal weight/body composition and just eat that. Then you're already at maintenance calories by the time you get to your goal weight.

Actually, I have run my numbers through several calculators and get a TDEE anywhere from 2600-2900. Using my actual numbers for April I get 2624. My Fitbit TDEE for April is 2538.

My NEAT is 1740.

If you're not using Katch-McCardle (and if you don't know you are, you aren't) your numbers are guaranteed to be too high.

I'm a 6'1" male with 160 pounds of LBM - there is no way your TDEE is nearly as high as mine.

According to the numbers you just gave, you're adding an average of 1000 calories/day of intentional exercise - that's also a bit dubious.

I ate 64720 calories in the month of April (including my pre-logged day today) for an average of 2157 and I lost 4.2 lb. How am I overestimating based on those actual numbers?

I suspect you're one of the lucky MFPers who manages to over-estimate their intake. But hey - as long as what you're doing is working, drive on! :drinker: Just file my comments away for future reference, on the off chance things start to wonky.

Meantime, keep rockin' it! :drinker:

More like I underestimate the CO part of the equation. I only count the 40 minute cardio part of my water aerobics class and don't count the strengthening and stretching part (another 20 minutes). I also only log 60 minutes of my lap swimming although it still takes me between 62-68 minutes to swim a mile. I don't log any of my walking, but I get calories to eat back from my Fitbit once I have walked at least 5,000 steps. On workout days, I typically get around 1200 calories to eat back (10,000 steps plus 2 hours in the pool). On walking only days I get more like 350 (10,000 steps). This is why I am switching to TDEE. I can't eat so much on workout days but on my rest day, 1760 calories isn't enough.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Definitely!
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options

It won't correct a mistake, or not logging for a day, or using measuring cups instead of the scale, but it does balance things a little more. It assumes you are being as accurate as humanly possible, but there is no way to be 100% accurate. What happens when you take 4 weeks of numbers is even out those entries that you logged that might have been a little high or a little low. Things like apples are a good example. The database has a number that is an average. Some apples, even among the same variety like a granny smith, will have more sugar than others so their calories might be a little higher or they might have a little more water so their calories will be a little lower. You still weigh and log the 125 grams but the actual calories might be a few off. Does this make sense?

This helps, yes!

I did these calculations and came up with a TDEE of only 1687 for the last month. This is odd because my current tested TDEE averages out at 1850. The lower figure makes sense if I've been consistently under-logging calories and/or over-logging exercise by ~150 calories per day, which I probably have been. This is going to help me tighten up my logging.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Does anyone know the rate of change? I am going to change to TDEE from NEAT and I know I need to lower it. How much should I lower it for each 10lb lost? 100 calories? 5% (I am currently 207lb)? Another amount or percentage? My estimated TDEE, less 500 calories to lose 1 lb a week would put me in the range of 2100-2200 currently.

Suggest you work out your TDEE from your own numbers - which has the happy side effect of correcting any logging issues.

Add up total number of calories eaten in last four weeks, add 3500 for each pound lost in that time. Divide by 28.

I am already on it. I want a full four weeks of numbers to use and I am in week three, which is why I am estimating to within 100 right now. Final number will come in about 10 days.

Do you know how much I should be reducing it as I lose, or should I recalculate each time?

ETA: for the fun of it, I am also running a side calculation using the TDEE I get from my Fitbit to see what it says and how in compares to my "real time" numbers. Right now, it is a little lower.

Why complicate things?

I thought you don't count calories. What she is figuring out is what all people who count calories should be doing as there weight changes.

What gave you that idea?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »

This helps, yes!

I did these calculations and came up with a TDEE of only 1687 for the last month. This is odd because my current tested TDEE averages out at 1850. The lower figure makes sense if I've been consistently under-logging calories and/or over-logging exercise by ~150 calories per day, which I probably have been. This is going to help me tighten up my logging.

Take the calculation at various start and end dates. Fluctuations on the scale mean that, depending on which time period you pick, you could see significant variation. Look for a range, not a single number.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

Suggest you work out your TDEE from your own numbers - which has the happy side effect of correcting any logging issues.

Add up total number of calories eaten in last four weeks, add 3500 for each pound lost in that time. Divide by 28.

I am already on it. I want a full four weeks of numbers to use and I am in week three, which is why I am estimating to within 100 right now. Final number will come in about 10 days.

Do you know how much I should be reducing it as I lose, or should I recalculate each time?

ETA: for the fun of it, I am also running a side calculation using the TDEE I get from my Fitbit to see what it says and how in compares to my "real time" numbers. Right now, it is a little lower.

Why complicate things?

I thought you don't count calories. What she is figuring out is what all people who count calories should be doing as there weight changes.

What gave you that idea?

Your posting history. You express not counting calories or weighing foods all the time.