Replies

• sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    bump
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i started out lifting as heavy as i could, in the 6-8 rep range, but mainly using machines. when i began i was about 60 lbs overweight with a body fat > 45%. after a few months, i believe i strained my pelvic floor muscle. this happened around thanksgiving and although i'd hoped it would go away, it hasn't. i've just started trying to see doctors and get it figured out.

if it is indeed my pelvic floor muscle that is injured, the advice for strength training is to lift lighter weights with higher reps - exactly what my trainer has been doing with me. and by lighter weights i don't mean 5 lb. i mean like 40 or 50 lbs instead of say 70 lbs.

i think it's bad to strain. and maybe everyone already knows that but somehow i didn't. and now, i think it's perfectly fine to do lighter weights with more reps as long as you are lifting to failure. what does it matter how you get there?

as a sidebar - i've read articles that have said heavy weight is bad for your joints/body in the long run because of all the stress it puts on. but i've also read articles that say higher reps are bad for the same reason. so who knows.
  • MrsDanner78
    MrsDanner78 Posts: 107
    Options
    This is super timely for me. I just started lifting - I was doing it super casually on random days and random machines after my regular cardio workouts. But then last week I started with a full-body conditioning routine that I found on the Muscle and Strength website. The routine calls for lifting dumbbells three days a week, and most of the lifting exercises call for 3 sets of 20 reps. I am currently still dealing with a BMI > 45%, but kept seeing that people were constantly pushing heavy lifting, and I was wondering if this program was actually going to help me. After reading this, I am very convinced that I should continue on with this program as part of my weight loss and body conditioning journey. I think that once I have reduced my BMI and increased strength to a point that I am comfortable with, I will begin working on heavy lifting.

So thank you, thank you for making me feel better about what I have chosen to do at this point in time! :D
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    I do both. Some weeks I lift heavy, some weeks I don't. Sometimes I start heavy then do drop sets. I think both have benefits, so why not do both?
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    saving to read later
  • mblach
    mblach Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post!
  • StrongFitSexy
    Options
    Excellent post!
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thanks very informative. As a person that does not have access to heavy weights I really liked this info.
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This was a really helpful article with a great perspective. Thanks!
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed this read. Thanks for posting it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    In recent years, "lifting heavy" has become a ubiquitous exercise recommendation, often without regard to the background of the individual seeking advice.

And, make no mistake, there are many benefits to lifting heavier weights.

And it is the best choice for everyone, unless they need to do something else.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    In recent years, "lifting heavy" has become a ubiquitous exercise recommendation, often without regard to the background of the individual seeking advice.

9b34c7ca-8963-4f17-8ad0-f92d28ef2cd7_zps9cb0e748.jpg
  • LaceyAnderson
    LaceyAnderson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Really helpful. Thank you!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

9b34c7ca-8963-4f17-8ad0-f92d28ef2cd7_zps9cb0e748.jpg

I'm keeping that one, it would have been a good response to this thread.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

That is 90% of the advice and arguments on here, at gyms, and in life.
  • cindyherrera58
    Options
    Great advise! Thank you:smile:
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Saving to read later. Thanks!