Mother shamed for sending her child to school with oreos

Options

Replies

• BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    cbevan1229 wrote: »
    I work in a public school and see what gets deemed "healthy." Like the days when the options for breakfast are a Chocolate Chocolate Chip mufgin, or a selection of cereal - Lucky Charms, Trix, or Coco Puffs. But I guess all that sugar is OK, as long as it's the school that is pushing it. SMH.

This. My kids recently told me about their packaged, processed breakfasts and lunches at the school. Prior to that, I thought they were eating like I did as a child at school, 80% freshly cooked balanced meals with a single day each week of junk calories for breakfast (mmmm cocoa pebbles). I was shocked to learn otherwise. It's pretty sad.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I think most people
    TNAJackson wrote: »
    This type of thing (without the note home) has happened to my kids at school. Even Lunchables have a small chocolate or something inside of them, which the kids are told they can not eat. It very much so bothers me because I agree that everything is ok in moderation. Especially for small children who tend to be very active. If anything, this policy teaches children to sneak and to hide... because if they are told they can not have something they really want, they most likely are going to eat it anyway... behind the teacher/lunchperson/principals' back.

Of course, having a lunch consisting of ONLY junk food would be wrong in my opinion, but this situation, that was not the case.

If you think it would encourage bad habits, why send the food in the first place? If you know the rules, why send the Lunchable with candy/cookies at all? They do make some that don't have those things, or you could take the treat out and save it for later. If they let one kid have a piece of candy, they would have to let all kids have one, and then someone will get butthurt that their little precious didn't get to eat hits king sized snickers because a little junk it's okay but not a lot.

When we disagree with rules and laws, we have three choices:

Follow them anyway.

Disregard them and accept the consequences.

Fight to change them.

Throwing a fit about your punishment (this is not directed at you) is not fighting to change the rules.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    sandryc79 wrote: »
    This should be titled: Mother was politely informed of private school policy.

I don't agree with the policy because I don't think an occasional cookie is unhealthy. However, they have a right to set the policy and this is not shaming.

Was it clarified that this was written policy and the mother ignored it? I haven't seen in any of the articles or heard in the comments what exactly the school's policy on packed lunches is outside of the ridiculous note they sent home with the cookies.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Whilst no one should shame a parent we should as a society start to see the growing problem of children's health.
    For me an Oreo or cake or chocolate bar should be a treat for a child not an everyday normal part of lunch.
    If all schools agreed to the same there should be no issues. Children will do what the grown ups tell them to. If the teacher says no sweet things and all the parents abide by it children will eat the sandwich or whatever they are given.
    I actually wish only water was drunk at school not fruit juices.
    We have to get tougher for the sake of our children.
    As a parent we should not run out of a piece of fruit or a carrot.
    The parents who put Oreos etc into their children's lunch packs are making it hard for every other parent to try and make healthy lunches as children will always complain they haven't got it. That's why I wish schools would ban sugary foods completely.

I had a friend who imposed this on her child growing up. It doesn't always work. He's now 24 years old and obese. Why? Because when he became an adult and had free reign, he took advantage of it. Obviously enjoying eating tons of food stuffs he missed out on as a kid. There's NOTHING wrong with teaching daily moderation.
    My DD's school has ice cream day after school on Wednesday's. Money made is used to help schools. Kids go crazy because for some of them, this may be their only treat for the week. My DD doesn't care. She gets her daily dose of "controlled" fun stuff a day, so ice cream day isn't a big deal to her.
    If it's a private school, which it sounds like, then fine impose whatever restrictions they deem allowable. But kids aren't dumb. Give them an opportunity to break the "rules" and they will take as much advantage of it as they can. So where they may be restricted to eat only a certain way ALL the time, they will eventually break off and make their own decisions to satisfy their denied wants.
    It not only happens with food, but money, dating, sex, game time, computer time, etc. can get abused when restrictions seem too tight.
    Teaching moderation is okay. In fact most lean people in good shape will usually tell you that don't totally restrict to just healthy options. Most people who are always insisting on healthy options are usually the ones who seem to have weight and health issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    When I was in school I would have a salami on white bread with miracle whip, a fruit roll up/gushers/fruit by the foot etc., and goldfish or cookies. I played sports and was a very healthy kid. Schools now have no right to butt in. If there is an allergy I understand caution but to keep a kid from eating cookies because THEY think it isn't healthy? Oh hell no! I am not a mom but I would flip if this happened to me.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/preschooler-gets-note-about-cookies-in-her-lunch

Who says a small snack of Oreo's is so unhealthy as part of a balanced lunch that included a sandwich and string cheese. Are we taking nutrition in schools too far?

I don't think this story should be news at all. Things like pop or candy weren't allowed at school when I was that age so this type of food policing at schools isn't new at all. The kid was offered a different snack and a note was sent home. The parent chose to go to the media over one note over cookies.
    The parent chooses to put their child under someone else's care at a particular school or daycare and that place has certain rules about food, clothing, what kind of crayons, what kind of paper, etc so you are kind of stuck with that unless you choose a different option that gives you more control. They most likely were informed of these policies in writing at the beginning of the year and have agreeably sent the proper lunch items all year long. It sucks that they got a note the one day they threw cookies in the lunchbox in a hurry but I get why those places would want all young kids bringing the same kinds of food.

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    ginny92802 wrote: »
    I think people should be more concerned that the adults teaching your children can't seem to put together a note that makes any kind of logical sense. That would worry me more than an oreo.

Yup. I've seen some pretty horrifying things academically in the plans left for me by teachers.

Also to the poster saying that a teacher he (I think) knows that has a kid with teeth rotting out and no options, there are options - it's calling CPS. In California at least, all teachers, and substitutes for that matter, are mandated reporters and we're required to report when we suspect negligence is going on; rotting teeth would definitely warrant a call. So, maybe this teacher friend should look into the options of whatever state.

I agree this was handled extremely poorly.

• kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »

I don't agree with the policy because I don't think an occasional cookie is unhealthy. However, they have a right to set the policy and this is not shaming.

Was it clarified that this was written policy and the mother ignored it? I haven't seen in any of the articles or heard in the comments what exactly the school's policy on packed lunches is outside of the ridiculous note they sent home with the cookies.

This paragraph is from another article on this story
    Questions over the note remain. The director of Children's Academy said she's investigating the note, adding that it should not have gone out to any parent. The director said it is not school policy to tell parents what children can or can't eat for lunch.

So it does not sound like this is school policy.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My wife used to work at a preschool and more than a few parents would only send things like Oreos or a few graham crackers, often because they were ignorant of basic nutrition. Also, young kids are notorious for eating their cookies first and then being "too full" to eat the rest of their lunch. While I don't agree with the school's policy, I can understand why it's in place. There is a childhood obesity epidemic in this country and as every MFPer knows, the problem is about 80%-90% diet related. Although sugary snacks like Oreos are perfectly legal and are a choice, they are being banned for the same reason you can't smoke perfectly legal cigarettes on school grounds.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Whilst no one should shame a parent we should as a society start to see the growing problem of children's health.
    For me an Oreo or cake or chocolate bar should be a treat for a child not an everyday normal part of lunch.
    If all schools agreed to the same there should be no issues. Children will do what the grown ups tell them to. If the teacher says no sweet things and all the parents abide by it children will eat the sandwich or whatever they are given.
    The parents who put Oreos etc into their children's lunch packs are making it hard for every other parent to try and make healthy lunches as children will always complain they haven't got it. That's why I wish schools would ban sugary foods completely.

I had a friend who imposed this on her child growing up. It doesn't always work. He's now 24 years old and obese. Why? Because when he became an adult and had free reign, he took advantage of it. Obviously enjoying eating tons of food stuffs he missed out on as a kid. There's NOTHING wrong with teaching daily moderation.
    My DD's school has ice cream day after school on Wednesday's. Money made is used to help schools. Kids go crazy because for some of them, this may be their only treat for the week. My DD doesn't care. She gets her daily dose of "controlled" fun stuff a day, so ice cream day isn't a big deal to her.
    If it's a private school, which it sounds like, then fine impose whatever restrictions they deem allowable. But kids aren't dumb. Give them an opportunity to break the "rules" and they will take as much advantage of it as they can. So where they may be restricted to eat only a certain way ALL the time, they will eventually break off and make their own decisions to satisfy their denied wants.
    It not only happens with food, but money, dating, sex, game time, computer time, etc. can get abused when restrictions seem too tight.
    Teaching moderation is okay. In fact most lean people in good shape will usually tell you that don't totally restrict to just healthy options. Most people who are always insisting on healthy options are usually the ones who seem to have weight and health issues.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't disagree with teaching kids moderation, but I don't think it needs done during school hours if it's against the rules. My DD had a cookie with her breakfast this morning. I was baking them for an event and she wanted one. I knew she couldn't take one to school with her, so why not have one at breakfast? She ran a mile this morning and has a 2 hour practice this evening. She'll probably even get a cupcake this evening. Does she have these things daily? No, but she doesn't go crazy when it's around because she knows there will always be next time.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    JenAndSome wrote: »

This paragraph is from another article on this story
    Questions over the note remain. The director of Children's Academy said she's investigating the note, adding that it should not have gone out to any parent. The director said it is not school policy to tell parents what children can or can't eat for lunch.

So it does not sound like this is school policy.

Thank you for that.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    "If they have potatoes, the child will also need bread to go along with it."

Uhm double starch is a healthier option is it?

I saw this too, WTF is the reasoning behind that??
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    My son's school promotes healthy eating, and in fact has a rule that parents are not to send chips, candy or pop in lunches. I have a choice - abide by the rule, or find another school. It really doesn't bother me. In fact, I've sent him with a small Halloween candy before and it came back home because the teacher didn't allow him to eat it. At first I was taken aback, sure. But I'm actually pleased that they are abiding by the rules they set out. I knew the guidelines when I enrolled him.

What I do have a problem with is my friend, who is a teacher in the public system, having to keep her mouth shut when one of her students comes to school every single day with a can of coke and a chocolate bar for his lunch. Not only is this grade 1 student bouncing off the walls (and the teacher has to deal with his behaviour), but his teeth are rotting out. She is not permitted to speak to the parents about this. So not only is the child being harmed, but the whole class is suffering because of it. That may be digging a bit too deep, but I would be really annoyed if my child's education was suffering because they was another kid in the class demanding too much of the teacher's time to bring him down off his sugar high every day. And before people comment on sugar, I am not demonizing it, but I know how my child behaves when he's had too much sugar, and I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.

I know my opinion will be unpopular here, but I really don't see the issue. In fact, let's look at the bigger picture for a moment. While a child is at school, they are bound by the school's rules. When they are out of school bounds, it's no longer a school issue. I don't think it's a lot to expect.

I agree with you on this - if it is their policy, then it is their policy and I think it is a good idea to teach children good habits about nutrition at a young age. The part that got me was the "if potatoes, bread" part. It makes me wonder if it really is a school policy or if it is the teacher.
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    @3bambi3 It's the ingredients. Check 'em out sometime. You'd be surprised what is in it that are chemicals, additives, dyes, whatever. I'm talking about the things your body can't use or doesn't easily break down. To clarify, just because you can eat it, does not make it food. I hope this cleared up what I meant by that. There is a book you can check out that can explain this in depth! "If It's Not Food...Don't Eat It!" Check it out!

http://www.amazon.com/its-Food-Dont-Eating-Health/dp/097656680X

SUGAR, UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), HIGH OLEIC CANOLA AND/OR PALM AND/OR CANOLA OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORNSTARCH, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA AND/OR CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SALT, SOY LECITHIN, VANILLIN--AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CHOCOLATE

So, nothing too surprising in there. What exactly makes it not food?
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

What child was actually bringing potatoes to school for lunch?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    weird_me2 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't disagree with teaching kids moderation, but I don't think it needs done during school hours if it's against the rules. My DD had a cookie with her breakfast this morning. I was baking them for an event and she wanted one. I knew she couldn't take one to school with her, so why not have one at breakfast? She ran a mile this morning and has a 2 hour practice this evening. She'll probably even get a cupcake this evening. Does she have these things daily? No, but she doesn't go crazy when it's around because she knows there will always be next time.
    I abide by rules. If it's instituted and I want my kid to go there, then you abide or pick another school. My DD's school is reasonable with some restrictions (no candy) and so we abide.
    My DD can have whatever she wants, but does have to compromise to meet nutritional essentials. So if she wants ice cream, she does have to have protein and a good amount of vegetables before engaging. Does she eat all of it? Not all the time. But then again, many times she'll only like 1/3 cup of ice cream because she's pretty full from eating well before splurging.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

Uhm double starch is a healthier option is it?

I saw this too, WTF is the reasoning behind that??
    To absorb the extra butter already on the potato. Duh.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    As a divorced very involved Father i was discusted when my son (9) gave up pop for lent.. There is no pop in my house and I never knew his mother allowed him to drink it.. We had a talk about and I realized why were divorced again.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm sorry but since when does a school have the right to tell you what your kid can or cannot eat for lunch? I think some schools have a rule about nuts because of allergies (although I disagree with that as well- unless it is being shared with the class for a party, why should my kid not be able to bring something for their own lunch just because other kids may be allergic to it?)

It says all kids are REQUIRED to have a fruit, vegetable, healthy snack and milk. Um, what if the kid doesn't like any vegetables? (many kids don't). What if they don't like milk? So now they are going to force kids to eat things they don't like? The whole potato and bread thing makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I'm actually a little confused about whether or not it is a private or public school after reading it again. The teacher refers to it as a a public school, and the news spoke to the public schools spokeswoman, but they also say that it is a private pre-school...

If they want to have a healthy program in the school, that's wonderful - but that should only be in regards to what foods they are providing to the students. The parents should be able to let their kid bring whatever they want to give them for lunch. The school has absolutely no business butting in to that, unless the children has some kind of serious medical issue that is interfering with the school or classroom, as a result of their eating habits. For example, they are bringing candy or cookies every day and then they are hyper, running around the room like a nut.

I don't see any harm in letting your kid have a couple oreos as a snack once in awhile. But even if I didn't like it, its none of my business what any other parents allow their children to eat and it shouldn't be the business of the school either. (I don't have children by the way).
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    weird_me2 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Exactly. Same with my son. He doesn't go nuts around cookies and stuff because he gets it whenever he wants generally (except right before bed because I'm not stupid).

But not in his school lunch. Because those are the rules. I guess I'd rather just follow the simple rules then break them and then get myself on the news for the sake of argument. But that's just me.

I personally don't like with the no flip-flop rule at work but I abide by it. The second I leave my office though, flip-flops it is.

I guess I just don't understand the fuss.