bio_fit wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    what the hell would be wrong with cheese?

and what is "processed cheese"? Isn't all cheese processed????

Cheese itself is processed milk - but I see where you're coming from :)

Processed cheese is where cheese is taken and additional ingredients are added to make a cheese product - for example, Kraft singles and Dairylea.

but you could not make cheese without processing, right?

Of course. But the resulting product (i.e. cheese) is processed milk, not processed cheese. Cheese itself is processed from milk. The term 'processed' is used to describe products where the base ingredient (in this case, cheese) has been blended with additional ingredients. So processed milk = cheese. Processed cheese = Kraft singles. Processed grapes = wine. Processed wine... oh god, I don't even want to think about that :D

As I said, I see where you are coming from and why you might consider it that way, but in this case it's the wrong way of using it. It is perfectly acceptable to say that all cheese is processed. But 'processed cheese' is a specific term. English is an *kitten* of a language :s

so all cheese is processed, right?

Yes, all cheese is processed from milk. But 'processed cheese' is specific terminology with refers to the post-processing product. i.e. Cheese that has had things added.

it is a simple question.

is all cheese processed yes or no???

you seem to be saying yes,but you keep wanting to add a but …

Yes. all cheese is processed.

But not all cheese is 'processed cheese'. That is a specific term that refers to a product where additional ingredients are added to cheese.

The OP was discussing 'processed cheese' and people were struggling with the terminology. I hoped this explanation has helped.

good, so OP eats cheese that has been processed; even though she thinks she does not.

and how do you make any cheese without adding an ingredient to it?????

Correct, she eats cheese that has been processed. But, given the phrasing of her post, I suspect she does not eat 'processed cheese' (description above).

You don't - you add the ingredients to the milk. Then you get cheese.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Deliberately. bloody. obtuse. Keep ignoring and repeating PROCESSED PROCESSED like a freaking mantra. It makes you look uber smart, broski.

do you just say things because you like to see them typed out? your contribution to every thread is usually zero.zero.

• ndj1979
    Options

Processed cheese is where cheese is taken and additional ingredients are added to make a cheese product - for example, Kraft singles and Dairylea.

Of course. But the resulting product (i.e. cheese) is processed milk, not processed cheese. Cheese itself is processed from milk. The term 'processed' is used to describe products where the base ingredient (in this case, cheese) has been blended with additional ingredients. So processed milk = cheese. Processed cheese = Kraft singles. Processed grapes = wine. Processed wine... oh god, I don't even want to think about that :D

As I said, I see where you are coming from and why you might consider it that way, but in this case it's the wrong way of using it. It is perfectly acceptable to say that all cheese is processed. But 'processed cheese' is a specific term. English is an *kitten* of a language :s

Yes, all cheese is processed from milk. But 'processed cheese' is specific terminology with refers to the post-processing product. i.e. Cheese that has had things added.

it is a simple question.

But not all cheese is 'processed cheese'. That is a specific term that refers to a product where additional ingredients are added to cheese.

The OP was discussing 'processed cheese' and people were struggling with the terminology. I hoped this explanation has helped.

good, so OP eats cheese that has been processed; even though she thinks she does not.

Correct, she eats cheese that has been processed. But, given the phrasing of her post, I suspect she does not eat 'processed cheese' (description above).

so then by your own definition of processed cheese being things with "ingredients added" then all cheese is processed, right?
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

it is a simple question.

So to make Gouda cheese, you have to add rennet, remove some curds, and add salt to brine it. Where are you drawing the line here? Because according to your definition, all Gouda is processed cheese. In fact, you add salt and rennet and oil to most cheeses.

These are all ingredients that are added when processing the milk into cheese. So the final processed milk product would be Gouda. If you then took that milk product (cheese) and blended it with emulsifiers and oils to create softer, gouda sandwich slices, that would be processed cheese.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

it is a simple question.

You aren't making sense. Kraft singles are milk. They add ingredients to the milk to get Kraft singles. Just like other cheesemakers add ingredients to the milk to get cheese. I'm not sure how you add ingredients to cheese and then it becomes non-cheese.

Here are the ingredients for a Kraft single:
    Ingredients: milk, whey, milk protein concentrate, milkfat, sodium citrate, contains less than 2% of calcium phosphate, whey protein concentrate, salt, lactic acid, sorbic acid as a preservative, cheese culture, annatto and paprika extract (color), enzymes, vitamin d3.

Here are the ingredients for gouda cheese:
    2 gallons whole milk.
    1 packet direct-set mesophilic culture.
    ½ teaspoon rennet diluted in ¼ cup cool, unchlorinated water.
    Cheese wax.
    2 pounds cheese salt.
    1 tablespoon calcium chloride.
    1 gallon cold water

At which point does Kraft become non-cheese, but the gouda is still cheese?
  • ndj1979
    Options

it is a simple question.

So to make Gouda cheese, you have to add rennet, remove some curds, and add salt to brine it. Where are you drawing the line here? Because according to your definition, all Gouda is processed cheese. In fact, you add salt and rennet and oil to most cheeses.

These are all ingredients that are added when processing the milk into cheese. So the final processed milk product would be Gouda. If you then took that milk product (cheese) and blended it with emulsifiers and oils to create softer, gouda sandwich slices, that would be processed cheese.

LOL the verbal gymnastics you are performing are amusing….
  • ndj1979
    Options

it is a simple question.

You aren't making sense. Kraft singles are milk. They add ingredients to the milk to get Kraft singles. Just like other cheesemakers add ingredients to the milk to get cheese. I'm not sure how you add ingredients to cheese and then it becomes non-cheese.

Ingredients: milk, whey, milk protein concentrate, milkfat, sodium citrate, contains less than 2% of calcium phosphate, whey protein concentrate, salt, lactic acid, sorbic acid as a preservative, cheese culture, annatto and paprika extract (color), enzymes, vitamin d3.

At which point does it become non-cheese?

at the point they process it, because processing?
  • bio_fit
    Options

it is a simple question.

so then by your own definition of processed cheese being things with "ingredients added" then all cheese is processed, right?

No, because cheese is milk with ingredients added.

This is processing - you add some stuff to one thing, and get another thing. Then you add some stuff to that thing, and get something else. And so on and so forth. As I said before, 'processed cheese' is specific terminology that refers to a specific thing.
  • 3bambi3
    Options

it is a simple question.

This is processing - you add some stuff to one thing, and get another thing. Then you add some stuff to that thing, and get something else. And so on and so forth. As I said before, 'processed cheese' is specific terminology that refers to a specific thing.

So my sun-dried tomato and basil cheese curds from the farmers market...processed cheese food product?
  • ndj1979
    Options

it is a simple question.

So my sun-dried tomato and basil cheese curds from the farmers market...processed cheese food product?

only if they added ingredients to it…oh wait...
  • bio_fit
    Options
    Gosh, I'm not sure I can make this any simpler :/

it is a simple question.

2 gallons whole milk.
    Cheese wax.
    2 pounds cheese salt.
    1 gallon cold water

Right - because Kraft is not allowed to be called cheese - it is a 'cheese product'. Maybe the FDA has more details on the manufacturing process.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Cheese is amazing! A day without cheese of some kind is a day wasted!
  • bio_fit
    Options
    Honestly, it's probably just easier if you guys do your own research. Like I said, 'processed cheese' is specific terminology. It doesn't refer to the things you are talking about.
  • ndj1979
    Options

it is a simple question.

2 gallons whole milk.
    Cheese wax.
    2 pounds cheese salt.
    1 gallon cold water

Right - because Kraft is not allowed to be called cheese - it is a 'cheese product'. Maybe the FDA has more details on the manufacturing process.
    LOL so cheese is no longer cheese when they add ingredients to it?

I hope you realize how ridiculous that argument is...
  • bio_fit
    edited May 2015
    Options

it is a simple question.

2 gallons whole milk.
    Cheese wax.
    2 pounds cheese salt.
    1 gallon cold water

LOL so cheese is no longer cheese when they add ingredients to it?

I hope you realize how ridiculous that argument is...

I'm not the one who made the rules on the legality on naming processed products :/ Just saying how things are.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Just taking a step back here - we do all agree that cheese, in its many forms, is awesome, right??
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    Honestly, it's probably just easier if you guys do your own research. Like I said, 'processed cheese' is specific terminology. It doesn't refer to the things you are talking about.

I know exactly what the terminology refers to. You didn't explain it correctly, and then you started wildly moving goal posts.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Just taking a step back here - we do all agree that cheese, in its many forms, is awesome, right??

unless it is processed….

• bio_fit
    Options
    I'm also not saying that people shouldn't eat processed cheese - it's fine, I eat it. It's just that people are confusing terminology.
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Yes! Except for the bleu cheeses, obvi.