Crying after walking?

Options
UrianaZeta
UrianaZeta Posts: 19 Member
I have been doing two walks per day for the past 5 days. At 2.5 mph and about a mile in 18 to 20 mins. for each one. I am going from being a seriously sedentary couch potato to doing this. After every walk, I cry. I know I am not crying because I feel forced to do it, or I hate doing it. (It's not pleasant to do right now, but I hope it gets better...) I just don't know why this happens. It is so weird. I literally bawl for 5 mins or so. I feel better after. But, I am wondering is this a normal thing? Should I be concerned?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    No worries, this is just your eyes sweating.
  • UrianaZeta
    Options
    Also, forgot to mention, I am walking at my absolute top speed for the entire time.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are just emotionally overwhelmed (in a good way) by the endorphins released by moderate exercise. I find that walking is not only good for my physical health, but also great for my mental well being.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    No worries, this is just your eyes sweating.

totally this
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    dfb436c6a99bfdf257a5ae8d4b1d6a0a6617c4231790ed612c751d7a3a377dc5.jpg
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    Perhaps just some stress release? I know when I walk, I mull over lots of things that I tend to not think about at other times, some emotional and tough.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are just emotionally overwhelmed (in a good way) by the endorphins released by moderate exercise. I find that walking is not only good for my physical health, but also great for my mental well being.

This makes sense.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I don't cry when walking, but have been near tears during yoga (not from pain). Somehow when the mind empties during a focused activity, there is space for all kinds of buried emotions.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Tearing up....I can see that. Bawling, like loud sobbing and yelling after a walk is a bit unusual.
  • UrianaZeta
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Now that I know other people tear up or cry, I feel ok about it. I guess I don't BAWL, so much as cry.

I am an emotional person, so I guess what Calliope610 said makes sense.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i cry a lot but not after exercise.....
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I know when I first had to actually act on my growing weight issue - it was emotional for me - it was one thing to conceptualize that I needed to do something, but actually acting on it was a kind of acceptance that I wasn't quite ready for, and it was a bit rough... and also, I think some of the denial that I was even having a problem had to work itself out too, because as I was acting on the situation, I obviously couldn't deny it any more - and that's sometimes a hard pill to swallow.

After I started making progress though, that feeling was replaced by a sense of accomplishment and even excitement towards the process.

It's all good - and it gets better.

And forgive the trolls in the forums - they know not what they do, and are only as harmful as you let them be.
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've cried after running, so I really don't think it's super uncommon. The whole time I was just like, seriously? and then I regained control after a minute or so.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Your just an emotional person. Nope no soemthing id do, but hen we are all different. Just pace yourself and the fitness comes. One day youll hit a proper endorphin rush and they are quite lovely.
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options

^^^ This sounds right. I started walking at the local Mall in November. I was so proud to just make it to one end and back on my first adventure. Today, I completed a10K walk for the first time and in 103.5 minutes. :happy:

I started walking because I had lost weight and walking wasn't a major struggle anymore. It felt so good physically, but emotionally, it was much more intense. The sense of accomplishment, the thrilling satisfaction of pushing myself further than I ever thought possible, the ecstacy of achieving the "impossible"!

Hang in there and focus on the fun parts. If you don't enjoy doing something, you will stop doing it no matter how much you "want it", whatever that means. Ignore the arses, they have no idea what you are feeling! You are doing great things and the best is yet to come!!! :drinker:
  • UrianaZeta
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!

Maybe I am just overwhelmed. I think about so much while I am walking. I have always beenkind of a high strung person.
    I know the sense of accomplishment for finishing the walk is pretty good. It's damn hard for me, even if other people can do it like its nothing. I look forward to the walks now, and only a little tinge of the dread I felt the first day is there. I think it's cuz I know its gonna be brutal, but I am gonna do it anyway. I feel much better after the walks also, after i stop crying and catch my breath! LOL
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    People do this in yoga. Something hormonal goes on. It's okay.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Would the person who mentioned endorphins tell me/us what that feels like? I have some metabolic and hormonal defects. I don't produce endorphins. I have been curious all my life and no one really describes this.
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yup, I always feel a bit of dread before I get there but once I'm moving, the mind goes onto high gear! I bet that's also contributing to the tears. Sooo many thoughts racing thru your head while walking is bound to touch a sensitive area. Again, hang in there! It does get easier each day. Your body is a marvelous thing and can do marvelous things if given a chance. Listen to to it, too because it will tell you when it's getting close to having enough. Learn to recognize the difference between the "evil naysayer" trying to sabotage your walk and your body saying, "Enough!" :wink:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Endorphins...just make me feel good. Or it could be completely unrelated. It could be feeling good because I got out the door for some exercise, maybe because I feel like a good pet parent when I take my Cora for a walk, maybe because its a beautiful day and I'm enjoying being out in it, maybe because my mind is cluttered with work, family, money, etc issues and when I walk, it's just me and the road. Maybe because I got a good swing in my hips, song on my lips and I'm just happy. Whatever it is, I have never regretted going for a walk. Even getting caught in the rain during a walk makes me happy.

ETA for OP.,.

When I started walking, I weighed 232lbs, it took me about 30-40min to walk a mile. But I kept walking. Before I knew it, I was walking 2-3miles at a brisk 3.5mph and feeling very accomplished. Then it was 5-6mile hikes on the weekend. Then I started C25K running program and completed a few 5K fun runs. Now I've taken up cycling, completing 50-60miles rides. Just keep walking - you will be amazed where your walking with take you. :)