Facebook - A step too far?

Options

Replies

• SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    My FB page is full of judgmental nosey people who read too much into everything I post. I would delete them but they are freinds and family and all have my phone number.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I pretty much deleted everyone on my facebook. It started out fun to talk to people that you haven't seen since high school. But then everyone feels like sharing every single detail of their life from every hangnail/stomach pain to divorce/fights with their so's and other nonsense that I really don't care about! I hardly use it, except to talk to my hubby when he's on break from work.
    It got old, or I did, lol.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    FB is too big
    Poor AJ isn't.

wH0qYaA.gif
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I wonder if things would have gone differently if AJ was listed as a 9/10 would bang with a monster peen.

you just know they would as women are shallow !!!!!!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I trashed my Facebook and all other social networking sites around a year ago. At first I was a little bummed, but after awhile you really don't miss it. I'd rather text/call/physically see friends.

I think a lot of social networking is influencing a generation of narcissists.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    FB can suck. Small towns can suck too. Oh, and some people. Such is life.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    9/10 would bang but elbows could be less pointy.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I think that person went to far. It was a nice idea, it is sad that it didn't work well. Unfortunately, you can not control what others say or do.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    There is a reason I don't link to FB from MFP. I DON'T want to share my diet stuff with FB friends. If I did I'd use my given name there. I don't.
  • mommyrocks5
    mommyrocks5 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I deleted my FB about a year ago. I have to say that I am happy that I did! There are some people that I miss keeping up with. But everyone that I care to stay in contact with are just a phone call away.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My friends and family are scattered all over the world and I keep up with them on FB. I don't get involved in drama and if someine starts with me, the block feature works wonders. I've only needed it a couple times and except once, only with online-only friends.

Recently, an old classmate and his wife died in a drunk driving accident (the other guy) and left three children behind. FB allowed us to come together as a community from across the globe and trade news and support. It was wonderful.

FB is what you make it. If you are surrounded by drama, don't blame a Website.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    When FB first came out, I really wanted an account. My husband didn't - so we didn't get one. Now, I'm glad we don't have one. I think all the social media has gotten way out of hand. While it can be nice to keep up with family/friends, it causes way too many other problems. There are times when I do feel "left out", but still not worth having an account. We also have a family friend who's spouse left because they reconnected with someone they used to know via the internet. The connection started out innocently, but went way too far online, even before they met in-person.

Finally, I don't think any young people (18 and younger) should have these types of accounts...it makes it way too easy for predators to be able to find these kids/teens and to know their schedules. Just because FB (and other accounts) have set a lower age as acceptable to join does not make it a good idea. Many younger teens do not understand the consequences of telling everyone their business. I don't want to upset anyone, but I've seen where people (parents/grandparents) are posting pics of their kids with names and personal info - folks that's dangerous.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Just another reason why I'm perfectly happy without a FB.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time believing the idea that someone has "gotten rid of the Facebook drama" if they are talking about "getting rid of the Facebook drama" on another social network like MFP.
  • runlilyrun
    runlilyrun Posts: 140
    Options
    So I recently trashed my facebook account, the main reason is we live in a teeny town here in the UK and they recently brought out a page called "Spotted". Basically people could give shout outs to random people in my town... It started nice and then became a place for people to slate local companies etc.

I thought this was going down a bad path until they brought out "Rate your shag - (in your local town)".... People send this page a message and they post it anonymously. They justify it's ok because we don't post surnames! But poor AJ from my town is the only AJ here, so of course everyone knew instantly who it was about... An example post was "AJ, sh** shag, learn about women and sort your morning breath out. PS you have a small di** 1/10"

Personally for me this is too far, I reported it and duly trashed my account. We live in a small town so everyone knows everyone's business anyway, do we really need a run down of sexual encounters? I was wondering what everyone else's opinion is on this? Do you think this ok? If so, where would you draw the line?

Are you in a town near Bath? The Chronicle's twitter feed mentioned it.
  • bradleymaxey
    Options
    I agree completely with Mustang289! Watch the movie about the guy who invented Facebook. Even it's original intent and purpose was petty and childish and mean spirited. Unfortunately I think people are cowardly and vindictive if given an opportunity and Facebook just brings out the adolescent in everyone. I've never participated. I despise social media for the most part. We can contact people a million different ways today and yet it is even harder to have meaningful human contact-yet another example of technology not working to match human nature. Well, not in a readily productive way for sure.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time believing the idea that someone has "gotten rid of the Facebook drama" if they are talking about "getting rid of the Facebook drama" on another social network like MFP.
    :-)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Hmm yeah FB, when you realise how many of your friends and family are bigots : (
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I usually just play games on Facebook anymore. No posting unless I see a funny picture. I noticed when I posted things that someone in particular (MIL) was reading my posts but not responding. She ended up calling my Husband and talking about one of my posts. Ex.... When I have a baby if its a boy I want to name him Shawn Robert Morris but my Husband is not sure if he likes it...wonder how I can get him to like it.....whisper it in his ear while he sleeps LOL! Well my MIL ended up calling my Husband and asking why he would not allow this name and took it to a serious note! First of all this was a year ago, second I was not pregnant nor am I pregnant now. This was just a comment when someone was talking about baby names. I was just talking about it. This name is just something I liked we never discussed baby names before nor are we because we don't have a baby in the making nor are we trying. Basically I hate the fact she started to bug my Husband about it when it was not meant to aggravate him. Besides he is on my facebook too and could read it. There was no reason for her to call him and confront him. So now I just really play games and message if I need something or whatever. I hear ya!