does anyone drink wine on a 1200 calorie diet, I miss it with my pasta.

2»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    gracenp wrote: »
    My name is Grace and I have 20 lbs to lose on 1200 calories a day and I like wine with dinner.

Hi Grace! I tend to limit alcohol when I am trying to lose weight, because it has calories and won't stop my stomach from growling :) But every once in a while, I need a glass of something, so I try to leave room for it, or at least leave enough room that it only puts me over a little. And sometimes I will have a glass with dinner and then walk around the block to burn off a few of the calories.

As someone else said, if you are set to lose 2 lbs per week, lower it to 1 lb or even one half pound per week - it will give you extra calories and make it easier. But if your age and height mean you have to stick to 1200 (which it might) then you just have to get creative to fit it in. Good luck!
  • ronronronj
    ronronronj Posts: 474 Member
    I say have the wine without the pasta! ;)
  • campdawson
    campdawson Posts: 69 Member
    joeboland wrote: »
    Also, MFP seems to put a lot of users in a totally *kitten*-backward mentality: you should be eating to fuel your workouts, not working out to earn rewards/treats like a dog. The question people should ask themselves is this: are you working out with the goal of being the healthiest and strongest version of yourself, or are you working out as a means of being able to "earn" extra calories every day? If it's the latter, you're just setting yourself up for failure in the long run, and I'd say go ahead and eat/drink whatever you want to. Have that beer, that extra hamburger, and don't worry about looking to others for validation in doing it.</rant>

Before rant, check OP profile...
    Oh, she's 73 years old...
    Drop the gym rat mentality and be encouraging...

"Gracenp, you can absolutely have a glass of wine with your pasta!!!"

Have a great day!

This is how you come correct--best response in my humble opinion.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Substitute steamed veggies for the pasta on nights you want wine. Problem solved! Or, go walk 5 miles and have your pasta and your wine.
    I'm one of those backwards people that will occasionally go walk another few miles to have popcorn with my movie. ;)
  • KatieMusselwhite92113
    KatieMusselwhite92113 Posts: 98 Member
    Grace, I would have the glass with dinner if I were you :) One serving should fit into your calorie goal pretty easily, just watch the serving size!
  • ronronronj
    ronronronj Posts: 474 Member
    You can get one of those "Vegetti" devices that make your veggies look like pasta.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    edited May 2015
    joeboland wrote: »
    Also, MFP seems to put a lot of users in a totally *kitten*-backward mentality: you should be eating to fuel your workouts, not working out to earn rewards/treats like a dog. The question people should ask themselves is this: are you working out with the goal of being the healthiest and strongest version of yourself, or are you working out as a means of being able to "earn" extra calories every day? If it's the latter, you're just setting yourself up for failure in the long run, and I'd say go ahead and eat/drink whatever you want to. Have that beer, that extra hamburger, and don't worry about looking to others for validation in doing it.</rant>

I admire your enthusiasm, but that's rather "all or nothing" thinking there. You could apply the same philosophy to life with completely different results and it would be just as valid. That works for you. Other people may need certain 'comforts' in order to stick with their long term goals. It may take them an extra few months/year/whatever, but as long as they are happy with the end result that is all that matters.

Small but significant and maintainable changes.

People are talking about an occasional glass of wine, not washing down a big mac meal with a bottle of plonk.

As for reward... our brains are wired for rewards, we like rewards, we like positive reinforcement. It lights up our brains like a Christmas display. Your reward is the high from the gym or whatever. Other people's reward may be working hard enough to allow themselves a glass of wine. Again, neither is any less valid. As long as it doesn't become constant reward seeking behaviour, then what's the issue.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Gracenp, welcome. You may want to adjust your pasta, etc for the wine. Enjoy. So nice to see you. I admire people who are aging healthfully.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Oh, I like wine with dinner, too. ;)