I scream, YOU scream, WE ALL scream for ice cream!

2»

Replies

• foggymirrors
    foggymirrors Posts: 23 Member
    Ice cream has long been one of my favorite foods, especially when it's hot. I have decided to cut out ice cream because of the high calories, fat, and sugar, but it is a daily struggle. This will be day 5 with no ice cream. Is anyone else fighting this craving? How do you resist and what do you substitute if anything?

OP: If you're not worried about fruit sugars/carbs, banana ice cream is a pretty good alternative. 1 or 2 sliced and frozen bananas (I freeze mine whole and break them up because I'm a bum). Throw them in a food processor or high-powered blender with peanut butter or nut butter of choice and/or cocoa powder and/or vanilla extract and are a small pinch of sea salt and/or honey (it's plenty sweet without it) and blend away until it's a soft serve consistency--you may need to throw in a bit of liquid (non-dairy or dairy-containing milk). You could also throw in some frozen avocado or use all avocado along with other frozen fruits and even greens for nutrient density. Put it in a resealable container and pop it in the freezer to firm up if desired. Or...you could do like me and eat it right out of the bowl of the food processor. Omnomnom! :p
  • foggymirrors
    foggymirrors Posts: 23 Member
    Ice cream has long been one of my favorite foods, especially when it's hot. I have decided to cut out ice cream because of the high calories, fat, and sugar, but it is a daily struggle. This will be day 5 with no ice cream. Is anyone else fighting this craving? How do you resist and what do you substitute if anything?

OP: If you're not worried about fruit sugars/carbs, banana ice cream is a pretty good alternative. 1 or 2 sliced and frozen bananas (I freeze mine whole and break them up because I'm a bum). Throw them in a food processor or high-powered blender with peanut butter or nut butter of choice and/or cocoa powder and/or vanilla extract and are a small pinch of sea salt and/or honey (it's plenty sweet without it) and blend away until it's a soft serve consistency--you may need to throw in a bit of liquid (non-dairy or dairy-containing milk). You could also throw in some frozen avocado or use all avocado along with other frozen fruits and even greens for nutrient density. Put it in a resealable container and pop it in the freezer to firm up if desired. Or...you could do like me and eat it right out of the bowl of the food processor. Omnomnom! :p

Btw, I realize this alternative could rack up in calories, but it's more nutrient dense. If it fits your macros (more or less) I say eat it.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    MisterZ33 wrote: »
    try this:

Breyers No Sugar Added Vanilla Ice Cream (80g)
    Campfire Mini Marchmallows (10g)
    Ghirardeli Milk Chocolate Chips (8g)
    2 Crushed Almonds
    Nestle Quick Chocolate Syrup (10g)

That's 198cal, 4p, 34c, 8f, 20s

i eat this almost every night. i think about it all day...

i like to add the chocolate chips and the marshmallows to the ice cream and stick it in the freezer for 5 minutes before adding the almonds and syrup.

or you could just have breyers cookie and cream for 140 grams per serving :)

140 grams is how many calories?

I am an advocate for eating anything as long as I can fit it in my daily goals without completely messing up my macros.
  • AshleyCMoody
    AshleyCMoody Posts: 144 Member

That sounds pretty tasty!
  • BananaAssassin
    BananaAssassin Posts: 44 Member
    I know some people on here who eat ice cream every day. Yup, every single day. And they're still hitting their goals and making progress. I'm not a fan of deprivation. Sure, you can find a substitute, and it will curve your craving but it won't be long before you feel disheartened. This is a lifelong journey. My calorie goal is 1660, so I allow myself 200 calories every single day to eat whatever the hell I want. 200 CALORIES EVERY DAY! MINE! And it works. As soon as I started doing this I felt a lot happier with my new lifestyle.
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    100 calorie healthy choice Fudge bars are the way I go!! We buy the big box at Costco and it's there if we need a treat. The portion is enough to be satisfying as well as the creamy chocolate goodness!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

banana ice cream is not ice cream...its frozen mashed bananas..