Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Do you jog? Run? Why?

Replies

• BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    I love the alone time and it also gives me un raison d'etre. I love setting new goals and achieving them.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    I didn't used to like running. At all. I was stick thin but in terrible shape and couldn't run 1/8 mile without wanting to die. But a friend got me into doing fun runs (color run, charity 5k, etc) and I LOVED them. I walked most of my first but by the end of my first year I was running most of it and cut my time down by 10 minutes. Once I learned from my races that I wouldn't die if I pushed myself it was much easier to make myself do that when I was out for a casual run. I still prefer to sprint/recover rather than non-stop jogging (it's just more fun for me) but I'm finding I can sprint farther and faster and recover less. Oh and yes I agree, I improved a lot at running when I started weight training.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    I jog on the local high school football artificial turf only. I do this twice weekly for 20 minutes only. The carpet goes all the way to the track and that's where I jog. Maybe six laps or so - real slow - injury-free. I miss the longer distances I ran in my youth but my knees can't that much impact nowadays.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Zara11 wrote: »
    i jog because the high after I'm done is amazing.

This. Runners high.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Thank you for all your encouraging stories and again, for the jokes in between. Again, you are amazing people.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Nope, I don't run, because I acquired tendinosis (chronic, incurable) and neuropathy. from my attempt. I did like it while it lasted, but the net result is that I can't ever do it again (or play baseball, or any sport that involves running or jumping).
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    I run at least 1-2 times a week and more if the schedule allows. I run because it is my "me" time. I run a lot on the treadmill because of scheduling but also recently ran outdoors and find I love both. To have a good 40 minutes or sometimes more to myself and then the thrill of accomplishment afterwards is great. I really love it to relieve stress. I am just trying to fit it in more often!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Hi @joaniee2003, I run because before I became heavy I was a distance runner so it's the natural tool I would reach for to get fit. I did not take up running again in a naive notion that I had to in order to lose weight - my primary objective was to radically improve my cardiopulmonary fitness.

Of course I did lose weight (24kg so far) but I'm just as proud of my increased level of fitness.

Bonus: older and wiser now, I can train smarter rather than rely on youth and brute-forcing it. Most important to me is avoiding injury that would sideline me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    So tell me if you jog or run and why.

I do it because it's amazingly good for fitness. Typically 3-5 times a week, 5k at a time.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    I try to run 3-4 times a week for all the reasons everyone else has posted:

1. I love the way I feel afterwards.
    2. I love eating more food
    3. I love the way my body looks with more muscle.
    4. I get chronic hip bursitis; my hips are poorly aligned, so much so that the way my hips are set up is considered a genetic mutation (my mother has it and her mother etc.). When I am running, I have a lot less trouble with the bursitis. I am not sure why, but I think it's because I have a lot more booty muscle supporting my hips, so maybe that muscle is interacting with how my hip joint is arranged. (Funnily enough, when I first started running, I had to sit on ice packs after every run to keep my bursitis at bay. Now I am afraid to stop running, because the bursitis might come back!)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    alibeec75 wrote: »
    I run because it is the easiest thing to fit into my routine.

The minute I step out the front door I am right into my workout. I love that, no time wasted. It doesn't cost you anything either, so that also fits my budget.

Time and Money :)

^^ this :smile:
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    I'm just really curious.

I'm F, 185, 5'4". I strictly do my cardio on the treadmill. I walk at an incline at 3.1 or so for 100 to 120 minutes every other day. Every other day, within those minutes I do a slow jog at 2.6 on a 0 incline for 25 minutes. . I'm not ready for c25k yet.

So tell me if you jog or run and why. Any other advice or input for me is welcomed too.

I do because I can't lift or row with a long term shoulder injury so it's a decent calorie burn in the time I have and also a constant challenge to improve, even just a bit.

Treadmill running is fine but you can't compare it to running outside so don't expect to get the same performance on the road that you do in the gym.

Also, if you can go for a minute in a light jog you can do C25K.

Add me if you want more running friends :-)
  • autodominio
    autodominio Posts: 55 Member
    If you're interested in the neuroscience of strenuous cardiovascular exercises like running you might want to read the book " Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain" by John J. Ratey it gives you plenty of logical reasons to start running harder instead of walking or jogging, if you are able to do it of course. Walking is definitely 100 times better than nothing. If you're not into reading, I can give you my take away points. Just ask :)
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    You can totally do C25K! I had never run before in my life and I started that and was able to do a 10k! I had to take a break for a year or so after I had my son, but I'm back to it again. Don't sell yourself short :smile:

I personally run because it is my only alone time. I just love the feeling of being outside and just..going. I'm not fast, but I still love it!
    Good Luck!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    I run intervals on the treadmill after I lift. Intervals seem to burn more calories. I also find it less difficult to run for just a couple of minutes than to jog for an extended period of time.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    I walk/jog daily only really run in races. It helps me to clear my mind.

29509743.png
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    glevinso wrote: »
    I never jog. There is only run.

jogger-v-runner.jpg

yessssssssssss
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    So tell me if you jog or run and why. Any other advice or input for me is welcomed too.

No, never, because it kills gains. My cardio sessions are like yours. Every day though for 30-45 min depending on my goals. I walk at an incline and speed to set my heart rate in the fat burning zone.

you probably have very weak gains, if a little running is going to kill them.

and the "fat burning zone" has been proven to be the lower heart rate zone, done at slower speeds.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    x45zbx1oa9d2.jpg

Love this. I really need this t-shirt.
    This:

v0gmygwz5a0l.jpg

Yes, this too.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,236 MFP Moderator
    11113968_10207221030823172_4514966193842036126_n.jpg?oh=6846dbf2291ca50825dd4586a1d84a4b&oe=55E2683A

Running helps relieve stress for me. AND I run because it's quicker than walking. :)

I'm going to reiterate what everyone else has been saying. If you WANT to run, you ARE ready for C25K. But if you do decide to do it, that first run session, run SLOW. Like at the same speed or maybe just slightly faster than you walk. Starting out to fast is one of the major reasons people decide they're not ready to run. Start slow. Your speed will increase on it's own (almost without you thinking about it) after you get used to running.