Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Do you jog? Run? Why?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2015
    Emmatyan wrote: »
    It loads your joints a lot and if you have the slightest problem with knees or hips, it's going to get worse,

umm???
    But I skip rope:)

Huh...!
  • BluGnat
    BluGnat Posts: 35 Member
    Running is way cheaper than therapy, and it gives me the base to do all the other things I want to do, like hike 14ers and mountain bike and hike Jeep trails. You can totally do a C25K now. Good luck!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    It loads your joints a lot and if you have the slightest problem with knees or hips, it's going to get worse,

umm???
    But I skip rope:)

Huh...!

Some people really like excuses.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2015
    Because skipping rope obviously is load free on your joints. As is any sort of weight training. Best to just sit and do nothing to preserve your joints. I did that for a number of years. My joints did not break. But all of my joints are stronger since running though. I'm clearly the exception however. All old runners are in wheelchairs, right?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Having been a long distance runner for over 30 years I've found that it actually increases hunger and thus makes it harder to lose fat if that is your goal. It's not that you can't lose fat, it's that sometimes willpower is not strong enough to combat the hunger. It's too much stress on the body.

I finally WON the fat loss game by putting weight lifting in first priority (to build a beautiful feminine shape) and sticking with HIT or HIIT for cardio, or nice slow cardio for not more than an hour. I LOVE running still. Last night I went on a 90 minute slow run but stopped to enjoy the scenery in the mountains where I live. I find I enjoy running a lot more now. I used to push myself so hard all the time, wanting to improve for those marathons, ultra marathons, and even the 5 and 10 K runs.

It's the calorie deficit that causes you to lose fat. It's the exercise that builds shape and keeps you healthy. Of course there is some overlap but if you separate those out the goals are more achievable.

16440072.png
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    I run because I like the hills and trails and I love to run. Also I have a labrador that loves to run and if she didn't run with me I have a feeling life would be hell ;). I don't and have never run on a treadmill and I must admit if that was the only option I would find something else to do because to me the purpose of running is traveling somewhere under your own power

I also run so I can eat cake :D
    That is just like me, I'm out with the dog on the tracks any way I might as well run!

I don't like being indoors either, I'm at peace running up the muddy hills.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    glevinso wrote: »
    I never jog. There is only run.

jogger-v-runner.jpg

Love that pic! :)
  • nkill24
    nkill24 Posts: 4 Member
    This is quite a common question I ask myself during those especially tough runs! The answer is because I never thought I would be a runner. A little over 3 years ago I did my first 5k because my husband wanted to start running. After having a terrible time, and walking 95% of I, I for some reason stuck with running. Now having finished a ton of 5 ks, 10ks, 3 half-marathons, with at least 2 more to go this year alone, and signing up for my first full marathon in the fall, I can say I run to prove myself wrong. I am, and probably will always be, my toughest critic so I need to shut up that voice in my head by doing things that I thought were impossible.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    [/b
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I'm just really curious.

I'm F, 185, 5'4". I strictly do my cardio on the treadmill. I walk at an incline at 3.1 or so for 100 to 120 minutes every other day. Every other day, within those minutes I do a slow jog at 2.6 on a 0 incline for 25 minutes. . I'm not ready for c25k yet.

So tell me if you jog or run and why. Any other advice or input for me is welcomed too.

If you can run for 25 minutes at 2.6 MPH then you are more than ready for C25K which calls for "running" at a pace slow enough that you can carry on a conversation when you first start. Don't sell yourself short.

I run because walking eventually wasn't enough. Running allows me to burn more calories in a shorter period of time. I run because I love races and if I want to run in races then I need to run on a regular basis. I run because I love testing myself and pushing myself to do better. Finishing a 5K or half marathon just a little bit faster than the time before is euphoric.

All of that said, if I had to do all of my running on a treadmill I wouldn't be doing it. I sometimes use the treadmill at the gym and after 5 minutes I just want to be done. It's useful for speed intervals because I can moderate my speed to exactly what I want but other than that, I do my running outside in the fresh air.

Thank you for your advice and telling me in detail what you do and why
  • saraonly9913
    I'm just really curious.

I'm F, 185, 5'4". I strictly do my cardio on the treadmill. I walk at an incline at 3.1 or so for 100 to 120 minutes every other day. Every other day, within those minutes I do a slow jog at 2.6 on a 0 incline for 25 minutes

This is fantastic! Great job!
    I'm not ready for c25k yet.

This is BS.

To answer your question I am starting back up with C25K. However I lost about 30 lbs a few years back and started C25K right off the bat. You can do it.

Thank you.
  • saraonly9913
    elothen wrote: »
    Run.

To get away from the bears!!!

Hehe, only place I run is the soccer field or a mud run. I really can't stand to run just for the sake of running, I've got to have some other motivation.

From everything I've heard the walking you're doing is the best for weight loss. Running is undeniably harder on the body so unless you're really into it, or like me have something you like to do that requires it, I'd stick to walking.

Now to get real, and I'm not trying to be ugly, if you want to run for some reason you'll really want to lose some weight first. They probably won't let you try this at the gym but imagine picking up one of those 45 lb weights at the gym and running around. You won't get too far and you'll feel it in your ankles, shins, and knees every step. That's effectively what's going on now. What all that means is A) it won't feel good, B) you're at a higher risk of injury which would stall your efforts or make you backslide.

YMMV but I started this journey at 270 lbs and that's exactly what happened to me. Diet and walking did the trick though. I've got (had) some big guys on my soccer teams. Some can run surprisingly fast given their size but many have injured themselves enough to quit altogether or at least be out of a couple of months.

Thank you for your honesty.
  • saraonly9913
    Wow. Thank you everyone so much for your replies , encouragement and a few jokes in between. You are amazing people!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    elothen wrote: »
    Run.

To get away from the bears!!!

Hehe, only place I run is the soccer field or a mud run. I really can't stand to run just for the sake of running, I've got to have some other motivation.

From everything I've heard the walking you're doing is the best for weight loss. Running is undeniably harder on the body so unless you're really into it, or like me have something you like to do that requires it, I'd stick to walking.

Now to get real, and I'm not trying to be ugly, if you want to run for some reason you'll really want to lose some weight first. They probably won't let you try this at the gym but imagine picking up one of those 45 lb weights at the gym and running around. You won't get too far and you'll feel it in your ankles, shins, and knees every step. That's effectively what's going on now. What all that means is A) it won't feel good, B) you're at a higher risk of injury which would stall your efforts or make you backslide.

YMMV but I started this journey at 270 lbs and that's exactly what happened to me. Diet and walking did the trick though. I've got (had) some big guys on my soccer teams. Some can run surprisingly fast given their size but many have injured themselves enough to quit altogether or at least be out of a couple of months.

Thank you for your honesty.

I'm 5'6 and weigh 180 and I have no problem doing running. Ditto circuits, PT sessions, spinning, HIIT class, step aerobics etc etc. I started back at the gym when my baby was 6.5 weeks old, and I weighed more then. Hell, I was doing aerobics until 38 weeks pregnant and didn't have a problem. Nothing wrong with pushing yourself and challenging yourself. Obviously if you are in pain then you know you've done too much.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    1. I like to eat. I both walk and run but those run calories come twice as fast for the same distance.

2. I like to run the occasional race with friends or my brother. It's fun.

3. I usually run first thing in the morning. I've found that when I accomplish a fitness goal first thing, it helps with motivation and sticking to my dietary goals.

4. It reduces the severity of my menstrual cramps when I do it regularly throughout the month.

5. I also like the idea of having some pretty descent long distance endurance abilities.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    I never jog or run. It loads your joints a lot and if you have the slightest problem with knees or hips, it's going to get worse, like in my case. But I skip rope:)

:huh:
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    I never jog or run. It loads your joints a lot and if you have the slightest problem with knees or hips, it's going to get worse, like in my case. But I skip rope:)

Running is actually great for your bone density and can go a long way towards preserving muscle and joint health as you age (source, Margaret Webb's book Older, Faster, Stronger). Your body may need time to adapt and you will need properly fitted shoes and to practice form, but that's true of all sports...

As for the original question, I run because I can now and because I never could before. I was hooked from my first C25K workout and haven't looked back.
    It's hard, I get tired, and, at mile nine of every long run I've ever done, I start questioning everything in my life. But, man, there is nothing better than being in that flow state where nothing else matters and your breath and footsteps sync up just right, or running alone through mud puddles and forests, or crossing finish lines and getting big shiny medals... It's amazing how much my life has changed since I started running.

Plus, y'all can say what you want about cardio killing gainz, but my legs are SO killer now.

And I'm not even a real runner- I'm a triathlete, so I mostly shuffle and try not to puke.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    This:

v0gmygwz5a0l.jpg
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Not pile on yah, but this just isn't true.

I have a joint disease and running has help improve my hips and knees to wear I feel no pain in them for first time in many decades.

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Starting to jog/run. Why? Because I used to run a lot, and haven't in 15 years or so. Now, I want to be able to run a 5K again.
  • MattCP92099
    MattCP92099 Posts: 1 Member
    I used the run 3 miles every day, but my knees and joints have gotten bad so now I use the elliptical machine at least5 times a week