Who Played The Better Willy Wonka!?

Options

Replies

• gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Gene all the way. My favorite movie ever!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Gene Wilder hands down.
  • lostdogg
    lostdogg Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Wilder
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Willy Wonka was supposed to be a crazy man. Wilder played crazy better than Depp, but Depp did make it creepy.
  • MissKais0912
    Options
    gene wilder for sure.. i loveddd that movie!!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Johnny Depp is one of our generation's underrated talents. His acting range is phenomenal, and it is probably only due to his choice of roles on the edge of the mainstream that have kept him from winning an Oscar.

That being said, Gene Wilder is the Willy Wonka of my youth, and will forever define that role.

“We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams”
    100% agree. I love Johnny Depp and feel that he's an amazing actor, but he's not Wonka... that's Gene Wilder.

Also, that's one of my favorite movie quotes. :smile:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    How is this even a question? Gene Wilder by far.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Wilder of course. The man was a freakin genius!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Personally...I can't believe this is even a question. Gene Wilder

I thought Johnny Depp played the character as someone who should be a registered sex offender, but got off on some weird technicality.
  • bababangarangrang
    bababangarangrang Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Gene Wilder, duh.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Johnny Depp is one handsome guy, but his version was kind of weird. Like some kind of man-child, I don't know. Strange.

Gene Wilder was much better!

That was the point...

But I agree, Gene Wilder wins for me.
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    saw this article on yahoo about it so I posted a status on FB earlier saying "Just read on a "who played the role better" article that Johnny Depp is 50 (I know ladies, it's okay) and that Gene Wilder is 80...what, how did that happen? I think I need to go watch the original Willy Wonka now, as much as I and every other girl loves Johnny he needs to stick with Jack Sparrow cause Gene made that character/movie."
  • obeseandsassy
    Options
    I will never understand why everyone is so obsessed with Johnny Depp. The past decade or more he plays literally the SAME EXACT CHARACTER in every single movie. A freaky/creepy/pale/overly made up/crazy haired dude, and oh look, Helena Bonham Carter's probably somewhere in the film too!

But since he's ~omg sew hawt~ it's forgivable. I don't get it.

I miss Gilbert Grape/Fear and Loathing Depp. I'll even take Cry Baby Depp.

(That probably makes it obvious that my choice for this question is Wilder.)
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Gene Wilder! Besides being a great, classic portrayal, he was a believable character - a weird, reclusive guy who is borderline sane yet slightly oblivious to the way people perceive him. Depp's portrayal felt forced, like he was trying to be super weird. Wilder was more like that weirdo you run into on the street, and Depp was like the weirdo who really wants you to see how weird he is so much that he goes out of his way to prove it.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Gene Wilder. Period.
  • cassidysmommy
    Options
    Gene wilder all the way! I refuse to even see the newer movie. I saw the last half hour and was horrified. they turned willy wonka into something truly messed up.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Gene Wilder hands down.
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    No, I am in love with Johnny Depp...or at least used to be...I go through phases as he tends to remain the same in films but never mind...Lets just say I'm a fan...

However, You CANNOT replace Gene Wilder as Willy Wonker....If anyone else was playing Johnny Depp's role as WW I'd say the exact same thing.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Gene Wilder. No contest.

hands down.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    As Captain Sparrow, Johnny Depp made me drool, amazing. Sadly, not the same in the new Willy Wonka.

Wilder and the original film all the way! I actually wish I hadn't seen the remake T.T