How to cook for 4 people when I am the only one that wants to be healthy.

Options

Replies

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My husband, too, works hard. I basically will fry whatever meat then bake or grill mine. I roast, grill or steam veggies or for my side or eat smaller portions of the other.

I know what justifies healthy is a big debate. I have high cholesterol so I try to limit fried foods. As far as eat it, or go hungry. Well, in my opinion (just mine), my husband works hard to provide for our family so I try to make him an enjoyable meal. Just because I'm cutting back on calories and eating different doesn't mean he has to also.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out the problem. It just sounds like a portion size issue. Make the meat and potatoes and then make yourself a salad or cut up veggies or fruit. Eat the portion of meat and potatoes that you want and then fill up on the other stuff if you'd like. The fact that they don't eat it doesn't mean that you can't.

In my house, my husband loves his carbs. So he eats more potatoes and rice and some meat. I love protein so I eat more protein and a small serving of rice/potatoes. Then I eat veggies/fruit on top of that. Our daughter is somewhere in the middle, depending on the day.
  • IrenaKaraman
    IrenaKaraman Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I used to have boyfriend who doesn't eat veggies, salads, soups, seafood. Only way was to make meat for both & then different side dish. It's annoying but possible. Also you can make your healthy food prep for a few days in advance & just add some on the plate every day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Meat and potatoes are perfectly healthy....I cook some kind of meat, poultry, or fish every night...I eat baked potatoes a few nights per week and rice on other nights...I usually serve some kind of veg with all of that. There's nothing wrong with meat and potatoes...they can have bigger servings, you can have smaller ones.

Being men in general they are going to need to eat a lot...having very active jobs, they will have to eat a lot more...needing to eat a lot more and get a lot more calories is healthy for them...
  • Davidc1961
    Davidc1961 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Question:
    Hang on.
    Why are meat, potatoes and more meat not 'healthy'?

Answer:
    Well, unless it is "organic" virtually all red meat and poultry has drug resistant bacteria in it due to antibiotics in the feed, red meat is directly linked to a lot of cancers, and plain starches consumed regularly or to excess increase your chances of diabetes. A portion size most consider "normal" is usually to excess, unless you do heavy labour or are a professional athlete.

That said, I consume all of these items in small amounts on an occasional/rare basis, but only if the meat is cooked thoroughly and usually organic. White rice, white bread, potatoes slathered in butter, well, a reasonably healthy portion is pretty damn small.

I suggest filling up on steamed veggies and then having small amounts of that other stuff as a possible strategy. Salad is good for you (without dressing), but very hard to eat enough to feel satiated.

my 2 cents
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Davidc1961 wrote: »
    Question:
    Hang on.
    Why are meat, potatoes and more meat not 'healthy'?

Answer:
    Well, unless it is "organic" virtually all red meat and poultry has drug resistant bacteria in it due to antibiotics in the feed, red meat is directly linked to a lot of cancers, and plain starches consumed regularly or to excess increase your chances of diabetes. A portion size most consider "normal" is usually to excess, unless you do heavy labour or are a professional athlete.

That said, I consume all of these items in small amounts on an occasional/rare basis, but only if the meat is cooked thoroughly and usually organic. White rice, white bread, potatoes slathered in butter, well, a reasonably healthy portion is pretty damn small.

I suggest filling up on steamed veggies and then having small amounts of that other stuff as a possible strategy. Salad is good for you (without dressing), but very hard to eat enough to feel satiated.

my 2 cents

bd4722fb990f56a915ca07b8a3baaa82125c62c2b5b589fa367dc37d97feb112.jpg

my 2 cents

also, did you even read the part where the men she's cooking for do heavy, manual labor?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    budgetbytes.com has a lot of recipies that are full of good healthy food. the portion sizes might not be good enough for a bigger person that is doing manual labor all day, so just double the recipe and let them have at it.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Here's how I handle that: Either eat what I make or cook for yourself. I'm not anyone's mommy and certainly not anyone's domestic servant - ESPECIALLY to someone I'm not married to.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    You aren't married or mother to any of these guys, so I can't really figure out why you got tasked with cooking for them in the first place.

Weigh out your portion of meat and potato, both are good foods to include in your diet. Serve a salad with every meal and take a large portion. Set out raw veggies and dip to go with meals and ration your dip carefully. If you are cooking, I don't see why you should be restricted on veg, it's not like you are giving them tofu surprise if you mix up the veg scene a bit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    This is how i'd deal with it. I'd make the food i want and i'd say "this is what i made for dinner." If someone says, "i don't want that" i'd use the same line my grandma used to tell me, "well don't eat."
    That works with kids. Adults have money and will go out and buy something else to eat and more than likely have animosity created between each other at dinner time.
    The OP is trying to lose weight, not the others. No reason to insist putting them on the same "health kick" as the others.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I have two men in my life...son and husband.

Husband is a power engineer who works 12hour shifts and works hard....son is a welder who is on his feet all day and works hard.

I cook food. Meat/potatoes and veggies (usually green beans actually) for all of our meals and I still lose weight...why because I eat within my calories.

Roast beef with gravy and mashed potatoes, sheppards pie, pasta, roasted chicken with all the fixins, bbq'd everything including burgers, hotdogs etc.

These men are working hard and burning a lot of calories...I bet they are working 12-18 hour days and they need that fuel. Feed them. You can eat what they eat in a small portion. *unless you are one of those people who is eating 1200 or lower* if that's the case re-evaluate your definition of healthy.

This^^

You eat smaller portions. Add some additional veggies or salad for yourself if you must. But there is no reason to be cooking entirely separate meals. Get yourself a food scale if you don't already have one so you can make sure your portions are the right size for you.

• HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I lived with a meat and potatoes guy for years. He refused to eat vegetables other than corn, and potatoes. If I cooked something with a bag of frozen mixed veggies, he'd throw a fit because of the green beans.

I started making a bowl of vegetables at dinner. It was enough so that if he wanted some he could have it otherwise I had both and skipped a serving of potatoes or bread. It's not hard to microwave a bag of steam pack veggies for yourself, then have a serving of the meat. I usually opted to skip the bread.

I also learned to set aside the "extras" like cheese, sour cream, and gravy. He could add those himself. I also learned that, though I hate to admit it, sometimes using cheese as a neutralizer helped.... for example, if I had cheese to go with the veggies, then I could have plain veggies and he'd smother the veggies he would eat with cheese and be perfectly happy.

I will totally admit to hiding vegetables in food. Sometimes, I made simple swaps. For example, you could try rutabagas AND potatoes in a pot roast, then you have a better alternative for you.

I also recommend having a large salad, then small/moderate servings of meat and potatoes. You can even make the salad ahead of time and have it for the week ahead.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Either they eat what you put on the table or they cook for themselves.
    Or go out and buy something else. Not unusual for men to do rather than argue. The standoff approach rarely works when it comes to food.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Or go out and buy something else. Not unusual for men to do rather than argue. The standoff approach rarely works when it comes to food.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Then they're free to do so, IMHO. I work long hours, i'm active in my job. And I come home and cook. Generally, BF is satisfied with what I make, so I don't have that issue. But, were than an issue, i'd point him to the bread and sandwich meats.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Then they're free to do so, IMHO. I work long hours, i'm active in my job. And I come home and cook. Generally, BF is satisfied with what I make, so I don't have that issue. But, were than an issue, i'd point him to the bread and sandwich meats.

Per her profile, she travels with her boyfriend. My guess is she's not out working long hours and her job is to take care of the family, meaning cook for her bf along with his dad and uncle. It's completely reasonable for them to expect her to make them food they like/want.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen anyone suggest this, but it might help. I make a lot of meals in bulk, then freeze or refrigerate leftovers so that I can eat it several times over (not necessarily the same meal every day). When I don't have enough calories to eat the same meal as my husband (or if I'm eating by myself that day, or if I don't feel like cooking, whatever) I'll heat up one of those and eat that instead of whatever I made for him. It saves me from making two meals, and gives me more variety, since he doesn't like some of the foods that I like. :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Wow, people have you pretty much living on salad here! :)
    I agree with most though- you can mix and match portions of what they're having with some fresh fruits and veggies for yourself. I recently came across this handy tip: you can substitute some cauliflower florets for some of the potatoes in mashed potatoes to lighten them up and gain some nutrition. I swear you can't tell it's in there. I served it to 2 family members who I'm pretty sure have never eaten cauliflower in their lives (didn't tell them) and they didn't know the difference and ate multiple servings. I also use fat-free or low-fat evaporated milk when I make mashed potatoes to lighten them up but still give them a creamy consistency. (If you do the cauliflower thing though, go really light on the liquid- you don't need much.)
    Also, just plan ahead for your heavier dinners by choosing lighter/healthier foods during the day. It's all about balance :)
    I'm wondering... who did the cooking before you came along? Maybe they should still be doing some of it.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen anyone suggest this, but it might help. I make a lot of meals in bulk, then freeze or refrigerate leftovers so that I can eat it several times over (not necessarily the same meal every day). When I don't have enough calories to eat the same meal as my husband (or if I'm eating by myself that day, or if I don't feel like cooking, whatever) I'll heat up one of those and eat that instead of whatever I made for him. It saves me from making two meals, and gives me more variety, since he doesn't like some of the foods that I like. :)

I do this, and there are plenty of meals that any of us can choose from. All three of us could eat different meals everyday because I have so many options available for us.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Do you live with your boyfriend, his dad and uncle? Are you dependant on the food they provide? How many meals a day or week are you eating together with them?

In my house everyone gets their own breakfast unless it is a holiday.
    Everyone does their own thing for lunch. Dh takes a packed lunch to work.
    We share the evening meal. I eat most of what my family does. Sometimes I have a large salad or other vegetables with the main thing while dh and dd enjoy different side dishes. Meat, potatoes and green beans is not unhealthy. It isn't exciting if those are the only foods cooked the same way every day but not unhealthy. You just have to eat the portion sizes appropriate for you. You don't have to eat the same food either. You could make large batches of food for yourself once a week and put it in the freezer in individual portions to pull out when you don't want to eat the same food.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you are the cook in your house then tough cookie for them, they have to eat what you make :smiley:
    keep presenting them with new foods/veg etc, they'll be eating everything before you know it :smile: