What surprises have you found about foods you didn't realize before logging?

Options

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were probably 1000 calories :-(
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Alcohol doesn't fit in...at all. I'm a huge beer nerd...who also likes margaritas...and whiskey sours...and Bloody Marys...and recently sangria.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    See, now I thought I would get less cheese per serving than I actually do. I have a cheese plane that cuts whisper thin slices of hard cheeses, and, believe me, there are a LOT of slices in an ounce of sharp cheddar, if you slice it super thin.

Of course, if you are like CERTAIN HUSBANDS and insist upon taking bites directly out of an 8 oz block of Cabot Seriously Sharp? You have a rude awakening coming your way.

There's a guy at my work, that before I started there, he'd eat a 1lb block of cheese for lunch EVERY DAY. Apparently he had a heart attack.

He does not eat that pound a cheese for lunch anymore. haha.

Now whenever I see him that's all I can think of, and just kind of be disgusted at the thought of eating a whole pound of cheese for lunch.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    AarghTony wrote: »
    I_said_so wrote: »
    Hilarious "serving sizes". two Girl Scout cookies? pfffft! ;)

Hahaha, gotta love the cookies!!!

I bought Girl Scout cookies this year but only bought the Thin Mints (4 cookies per serving!) and the Savannah Smiles (5 cookies per serving!). I wanted the Cranberry Crisps ones, I believe they had 4/5 as well, but they were north of me. :(

And amazingly, there are still quite a few left as they live in the freezer for a while. :wink:
  • kcrkcs
    kcrkcs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For years I had attributed my weight creep to my wine consumption. Turns out I was probably right. Now I make room for it in the cals, or I don't get to drink it.
  • manukahoneybadger
    manukahoneybadger Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Granola... I used to love nibbling on a handful dry. Then I started MFP and decided to have a little handful, weighed it... and then realised half of my bodyweight is probably past dry granola nibbles.

Also sauces knowledge made me sad- I used to be all about the sauces (not Mayo, but tomato/ horseradish/ mustard/tartare & whatnot) Sauces probably account for the most of other half of me.

But in the happier way- asparagas and mushrooms literally blow my mind every time :smiley:
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    One food that I found that surprised me: bacon. From the package, you'd think it's terrible for you. From the package today, my Fletcher's Masterpiece Farmer's Cut bacon is 360 calories per 2 slices (66 grams). I split the 500 gram package with my wife, which should equal 1363 calories of bacon... for each of us!

BUT!

If you actually look at the USDA info for cooked and drained bacon, it's actually not bad. My 500 grams of raw bacon yielded 147 grams of cooked bacon plus about a cup of liquid fat. The USDA data on cooked bacon is 150 calories per ounce, so my 1300+ calories of raw bacon ends up being about 393 calories with 25 grams of protein. A 72% calorie reduction, and reasonable macro ratio!

If you're weighing and logging bacon, it's the ONLY food I can think of that you should log cooked rather than raw. It's still a special occasion indulgence for Mother's day today, but it's not crazy indulgent like I thought.
  • BethClicks
    BethClicks Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The very first week thatI logged was a real eye-opener! I considered myself a reasonably healthy-eating gal, I was disabused of that notion pretty quickly haha! Logging has become everything for me.
    The item that shocked me the most when I first logged was my daily morning pack of pop-tarts: holy moly!
    200 cal sugar bomb, for what I was basically using as a morning pick-me-up between breakfast and lunch. I don't even like them that much!! They were just 'easy' :neutral:
  • Lizrobin3108
    Lizrobin3108 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The amount of added sugar in everything. I don't avoid sugar but I don't understand why one 5 or 6 oz cup of yogurt needs 17 grams of sugar?!?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    One food that I found that surprised me: bacon. From the package, you'd think it's terrible for you. From the package today, my Fletcher's Masterpiece Farmer's Cut bacon is 360 calories per 2 slices (66 grams). I split the 500 gram package with my wife, which should equal 1363 calories of bacon... for each of us!

BUT!

If you actually look at the USDA info for cooked and drained bacon, it's actually not bad. My 500 grams of raw bacon yielded 147 grams of cooked bacon plus about a cup of liquid fat. The USDA data on cooked bacon is 150 calories per ounce, so my 1300+ calories of raw bacon ends up being about 393 calories with 25 grams of protein. A 72% calorie reduction, and reasonable macro ratio!

If you're weighing and logging bacon, it's the ONLY food I can think of that you should log cooked rather than raw. It's still a special occasion indulgence for Mother's day today, but it's not crazy indulgent like I thought.

Oh wow... that's some bacon. I hate bacon because it's a PITA to log.
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thin sliced whole wheat bread has a lot of protein!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    The amount of added sugar in everything. I don't avoid sugar but I don't understand why one 5 or 6 oz cup of yogurt needs 17 grams of sugar?!?

It doesn't... not exactly. Dairy has natural sugar. A serving of dairy often has ~12 grams of sugar in it. So that's 5 grams of added sugar, which probably came with the flavouring (like jam if it's a fruit flavour).

You can always buy plain and mix in your own jam. It would likely still be similar in terms of sugar content, but you might feel more in control.
  • skbrodie
    skbrodie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I ate WAY more salad dressing than I thought... so sad.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    jinkeys26 wrote: »
    The very first week thatI logged was a real eye-opener! I considered myself a reasonably healthy-eating gal, I was disabused of that notion pretty quickly haha! Logging has become everything for me.
    The item that shocked me the most when I first logged was my daily morning pack of pop-tarts: holy moly!
    200 cal sugar bomb, for what I was basically using as a morning pick-me-up between breakfast and lunch. I don't even like them that much!! They were just 'easy' :neutral:

Yeah, 400 calories and 38g of sugar for two Pop-Tarts makes me sad.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Surprise was about myself, haha. Have become a food snob. Label reader. Someone at work in the lunchroom was raving about eating single serving frozen meals as she could then control her portion sizes in her quest to lose weight. After she left, I picked up the box her meal had come in. Had 720 calores, but 45g fat and over 1000mg of sodium. Made mental note to never eat that particular frozen meal.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    The fact that the calories in big, fluffy pita bread (around 100g of bread, to be fair) is equal to sadness and despair. :'( Around 300 calories a piece!! I used to down like four or five of them in a meal X_X
  • Francl27
    Options
    The fact that the calories in big, fluffy pita bread (around 100g of bread, to be fair) is equal to sadness and despair. :'( Around 300 calories a piece!! I used to down like four or five of them in a meal X_X

Bread just sucks.
  • mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    That eggs actually have carbs in them! Who knew?
  • Francl27
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Bread just sucks.

Bread doesn't bother me. Most of the bread I eat tends to be 100-120 calories a slice, and I'm ok with that. Muffins, on the other hand, were totally surprising to me. So sad that I can have a piece of cake for the same calories as a muffin. :frowning:egu9ur83ju4g.jpg

I haven't had a muffin in ages. Just not worth it! Like brioche... it's just never worth it anymore.
  • bibimazoon
    bibimazoon Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I went to Macaroni Grill couple days ago. Selected what I thought was a decent lunch option Chicken Florentine Salad then checked MFP...almost 900 calories!!! Mine was mostly orzo pasta with very little chicken ugh! Totally not worth it and why I eat at home

I ate half and brought the other home to the husband