Women Running Alone

Options

Replies

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Buy a handgun, take a course, practice using it (especially when winded from a run), use a shoulder harness when you run. Unfortunately, we live in a world that allows people to prey on those who won’t take measures to protect themselves.

Agree.

However.

Depending on where you live and run, your odds of being a victim of violent crime are probably pretty low. It is probably an irrational fear to be worried about being raped while jogging, but this might be male privilege shining through.

A firearm is not a magical talisman. If you do not have good situational awareness and do not pay attention to your surroundings and your "gut feel" you can be surprised and attacked without having any opportunity to bring any weapon of any kind to bear. So your first layer of defense is always being aware of what is going on around you. Most people go through life without being aware of what is really happening around them until something happens to force their attention onto it. Don't be that person. If something doesn't feel right, trust those instincts and act on them.

If you decide to carry a firearm, make sure you obey your local laws and obtain a permit if necessary. It is generally easy to obtain, again depending on where you live. Some places are very backwards in giving out permits but the good news the majority of US states are now Shall Issue states.

If you decide to carry a firearm get training and practice. A firearm is of no use if you are not proficient at its use as under stress you will simply fumble. Women are the fastest growing segment of shooting enthusiasts in the US and you may discover you have a new hobby. There are often discounted rates for training courses for women and indoor ranges often have "ladies night" where women get discounted or free range time. Then there are public ranges where you generally need to buy a hunting license to use which helps support the range and conservation efforts.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I did take a self defense class, it was a full day of training, and very physically challenging. About using leverage and body parts for defense, I learned a lot, but mostly I learned that I am not a person who could do this effectively. I also have a concealed carry permit, and feel that maybe I could use a gun for defense, but for the most part, criminals PLAN to grab someone, and they do it fast. I doubt I could get my gun ready that quickly.

In the end, running where there are others, not late at night or very early in the morning is best. I used to go to a track by my house with friends, we were together, but every one could do their own speed.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I've never felt uncomfortable running alone. My husband on the other hand...does not enjoy my runs. I no longer run at night because he didn't like it. I normally run in a large park which has a wooded area.

My advice would be to find a running group. I run with a friend on weekends and alone during the week. I'm going to try out one of the local running groups too that meets after work twice a week. Great way to run with a 'buddy', there should be a large range of experience and abilities, and you might even make new friends!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Buy a handgun, take a course, practice using it (especially when winded from a run), use a shoulder harness when you run. Unfortunately, we live in a world that allows people to prey on those who won’t take measures to protect themselves.

I'm not sure I like this advice

But then I live in a country where we don't carry arms so I just think the concept exacerbates the dangers. In stranger attacks it is more likely that you will be grabbed and wrestled with, risking arming your assailant

Men attack women because they are in a power position (stronger and/or already armed). If you’re properly trained and aware of your surroundings, he won’t get the drop on you and you won’t be losing your weapon.

I'm not a runner but thought that running means you are less aware of your surroundings .. focusing inwards or on music

that's why as a woman, and increasingly as a man, you need to look to your own safety by not putting yourself in dangerous situations... I can't get over my inbuilt fear of weaponry escalation though accept your point of view
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Any chance of making some shelter dog happy by giving him a home where he gets to go on runs and your injured dog gets a buddy?

Your fear isn't irrational.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

First off- full disclosure. I am getting a Judge for my birthday. B) I've got nothing against handguns.

But I won't even wear my Fitbit Surge to go running (I go back to my trusty One). When I'm running, there's no way I'm carrying any handgun that would big enough to stop someone who was really determined to hurt. It's too much weight. Also, I dislike the marks my running bra leaves on me already and get heat rash sometimes from lightweight running clothes. I am not wearing anything extra that makes me sweat and weighs me down.

There are much, much better alternatives out there for a female runner, IMHO.

Take a good self-defense course and learn how to beat the crap out of a guy. You will carry yourself with more self-confidence. Women who look like they will fight back don't tend to get chosen by predators for attack. If someone ever tries to abduct or hurt me, my plan is to seriously eff them up.

Know your surroundings. Look around you, see whose there, what's there. If you see a stranger, look directly at him/her, smile, wave, say "Hi! How you doing? I haven't seen you before. Do you need any help?" Believe it or not, being friendly, looking people in the face and being assertive with your friendliness tends to decrease your chances of being attacked. If the person isn't a bad guy, you've got a new friend on the trail and that might come in handy one day. (Or you've got a delivery person who is completely lost and is really happy to ask where XYZ street is - that has happened to me more than once as there are 3 streets in my neighborhood with very similar names) If the person is a bad actor, you've established yourself as a competent person who is notprey. The kind of woman who probably took a self-defense class and plans to eff you up if you attack her. :smiley:
  • jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just carry pepper spray and stay on busy roads (no trails). I also have my phone attached to my arm. It`s not scary at all - you just have to be aware of what`s happening around you. I often run without music, which is actually quite enjoyable. I also run during daylight. There is no need for guns - you`re going to shoot someone at point blank range if they grab you? Sounds like overkill to me.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I run/walk/bike alone a lot...I just make sure I stay on well lit busy areas...no trails, no bushes etc.

My family (husband and son) know my route, I have my phone and if anyone tried anything there are always people around or at least close.

Best that can be done sometimes.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Are there any colleges or universities in your area? Where I live, there's a three mile looping trail around the college and the whole thing has surveillance cameras and emergency call buttons.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Personally, I am more afraid of cars not seeing me and running me over than someone attacking me. I do carry pepper spray, stay on busy streets and just wear one ear bud so I can hear my surroundings. I refuse to be afraid to run outside. I have been lunged at by dogs, but never people. Every once in a blue moon I see someone who sets off my alarms, but I don't let it deter me from future runs. I make it a point to be as aware as I can about my surroundings. That is all you can do. You either get out there or you don't.

I also live in a state where you can't carry concealed weapons. Not everyone has that option or wants to go to that extreme.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm not a runner but thought that running means you are less aware of your surroundings .. focusing inwards or on music

that's why as a woman, and increasingly as a man, you need to look to your own safety by not putting yourself in dangerous situations... I can't get over my inbuilt fear of weaponry escalation though accept your point of view

Depends on the individual, but situational awareness and personal presence are the best defences against threats. Knowing how to read the environment, and put distance between oneself and a potential threat is a key skill.

A statement that I'd apply that's come from most of my training is being aware of the absence of the normal, presence of the abnormal. In my world that's about IEDs, mines and ambush, but it applies to this sort of thing as well.

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I run alone, usually in the evening. Most of my runs are at a large city park with dedicated jogging trails that tend to be crowded and are well lit. I also run on some mountain biking trails that are a lot less crowded, but still busy enough and near people.

The main thing is situational awareness, staying alert, and carrying myself "confidentially".

By biggest problem is actually loose dogs or snakes when I'm on certain nature trails.
  • alt5057
    alt5057 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I prefer to be with my dog (but she also doesn't always like people coming up to her so she'll bark them off...and sound mean doing it!). You could try carrying pepper spray? It could give you the little extra security blanket you need.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I don't run but I spend a lot of time outside late at night on break and the like. It's a relatively safe neighborhood but I still carry pepper spray in my apron when I leave work and there is an easily accessible pistol. I've also got some mma training and self defense. So yeah while I feel safe there are some areas I just don't go alone late at night.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You say you don't know anyone at a similar ability to run with... Have you looked for local running clubs/groups? Or even shop/group runs from a local running store? Scheduling can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but groups like these can be great and offer a number of benefits.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I can understand where you are coming from. We had several attacks in my quite little neighborhood. They caught the person but it really has me more aware of the surroundings. Luckily it has started to get lighter and the weather is getting better so more people are out.

Have you tried looking for a running club? There are tons of them out there with many people at different fitness levels. If you go to a gym perhaps ask them if there is a running group there. I know my gym has one.

Good luck!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

I'm not sure I like this advice

But then I live in a country where we don't carry arms so I just think the concept exacerbates the dangers. In stranger attacks it is more likely that you will be grabbed and wrestled with, risking arming your assailant

Men attack women because they are in a power position (stronger and/or already armed). If you’re properly trained and aware of your surroundings, he won’t get the drop on you and you won’t be losing your weapon.

+1
    You must be Canadian too :smile:

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Great advice here. Pepper spray, sirens, self defense, carry yourself with confidence...

And, if you do become victim, don't be afraid to have the balls--their eye balls--in your hands.
  • manders_b
    manders_b Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I run alone a lot, and I totally understand your fear. I grew up in a not-so-good area and am still really cautious.

I run without music, and always have my phone on me and fully charged. I only run outdoors when it's light out, and only when it's going to stay light for longer than my run would take just in case I end up walking for whatever reason. I make sure to let someone know when I'm leaving, and when I expect to be back - boyfriend, neighbor - and give them my route just in case. It's actually come in handy before because I've twisted my ankle and needed a lift, but thankfully I've never been attacked/approached.

I also have a good friend who runs with her ring on; her rationale is that she can do more damage if she had to swing at someone. I guess a pointy stone to the face hurts no matter who you are!

Good luck OP - I hope you can work through your fears!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I run to and around a park that has a good amount of people, I stay alert, but still run with music. And i'll generally run with a folded knife in my hand. It's probably not smart but it makes me feel better. Sometimes I'll run with pepper spray but I don't trust that I guess.

I was thinking about looking into a taser...