Women Running Alone

Options

Replies

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Heck, you're running. With the majority of Americans being overweight or obese, and 3 out of 4 men being overweight or obese, if you've got one lazy enough to resort to mugging to make a living instead of working odds are you can just keep running and leave them in the dust! :)
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I never run in secluded, dark areas. Thankfully, there is a nice lake I run around in my subdivision. When I venture out of my subdivision, I will make sure I go to parks or on trails with other runners, cyclists, and/or walkers are at.

I have an app on my cell, Road ID, that I use. When I start my walk/run, I send a notification to the people in my contact list on the app. These people can see my route and track me to know where I am. If there is no movement out of me within 5 minutes, it sounds an alarm on my cell and my contacts' phone. This happened once, and my cell let out this loud alarm and my boyfriend called to make sure I was ok. I had stopped to talk to a neighbor and forgot about having the app active. At least I learned it would work. :-)

We all must be safety conscious, know our surroundings, don't be in dark, secluded areas, and let someone know where we are at all times.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    To the OP, unless you happen to be running in the middle of a war zone, it isn't healthy to carry such fear around, all the time. If one's sense of caution and risk is always off-the-charts (I'm exaggerating a bit for purpose of discussion), there's a real possibility the individual may not be able to identify a situation may actually present a legitimate threat.

I am not suggesting your concerns are out of line. Even if the statistical risk may be low, bad things do happen.

I live in a large by Canadian standards city that has low rates of violet crime. Several years a woman was murdered while out running in my absolute favourite place to run, a fantastic forested park near the university. The killing was a shock to Vancouverites and the case remains unsolved.

Today I meet women running alone on the trails all the time and I can't help but wonder how they feel as they see me approaching. I'm rather glad I have a happy looking dog with me all the time as I hope that makes me look more like the harmless runner dude that I am rather than something to fear, but all the same I don't like feeling that one of us might fear the other, and I am saddened knowing that just my presence running toward a woman on a remote trail may incite fear.

But I keep running there and so do most women, both alone or in groups.

There's a fine line between trusting your primal instincts and giving in to them. I don't know how one avoids falling into the latter trap, but confidence, awareness, and putting the risks into proper perspective have to be part of the solution.

In the meantime there are undoubtedly many running groups in your city that you could join. Check with running speciality shops and community centres - they'll no doubt have a resource list they can point you do. Here in Vancouver there are many such groups catering to all types and speeds of runners.

You might also check with your local police department to see if they run themselves or can point you to other groups that offer courses or seminars on personal safety in the city.

• apennock
    apennock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Goodness, carrying a knife in your hand? I can't imagine. I figure I'm statistically more likely to get hit by a car while running compared to any abduction situation. There is a reason these things are newsworthy - they are exceedingly rare. Don't run at night, keep to popular paths or busy streets and you'll be fine.

Seriously though, a gun??
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    They aren't super rare though and not all of them hit the news.

It's a legitimate fear to have, and really you shouldn't dismiss others fears.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    apennock wrote: »
    Goodness, carrying a knife in your hand? I can't imagine. I figure I'm statistically more likely to get hit by a car while running compared to any abduction situation. There is a reason these things are newsworthy - they are exceedingly rare. Don't run at night, keep to popular paths or busy streets and you'll be fine.

Seriously though, a gun??

They make hip holsters for both handguns and knives. Some shops carry gun belts specific for active people like hikers, runners, etc. In most states training and a permit is required to carry a gun legally anyways. I don't leave home without mine even though I've never been assaulted or run into a situation where I felt I needed to use it. I have it hoping won't need it, because if I need it I'll be glad that I have it.
    They aren't super rare though and not all of them hit the news.

It's a legitimate fear to have, and really you shouldn't dismiss others fears.

Also, this ^^^^^.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo others in saying that your fear is not irrational, not in the slightest. I think everyone has made great recommendations: 2nd dog, pepper spray, self-defense lessons, etc. If there are other women runners' groups or a general running group in your area, check it out! Safety in numbers!

Personally, I worry more about injury than attack when I'm running. I bring my phone on longer runs in case I need to call a cab/university security because I'm hurt somewhere and can't make it home. I almost never worry about anyone approaching or attacking me. I'm lucky that both the place I live now and my home town are low-crime areas and I've never really been bothered, so I don't have any fear when I head out for a run.
  • mjohemme
    mjohemme Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Since you live in an urban area, check out meetup.com and see if there are any running groups.
  • apennock
    apennock Posts: 49 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm not dismissing the fear - it totally does happen. I run during the daylight and make a conscious effort to run in well populated places or roads. When I lived in rough neighborhoods, I carried pepper spray on my belt loop. I've read the statistics of attacks in areas I live in and try to stay informed of the danger. I still cannot fathom carrying around a gun holster on a run because it seems absurdly overkill.

But I think that's beside the point. Obviously you just need another dog! ;)

A good article, if a few years old: http://www.athleta.net/2012/07/31/running-tragedies-and-how-to-stay-safe/
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Check out mrtt (moms run this town---you don't have to be a mom) and see if there is a local chapter. I love my mrtt group here!
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I run in my neighborhood with my dog. I have run on occasion by myself but I wasn't too big of a fan. At this point, I would just get a treadmill if my dog couldn't run with me. My boyfriend is deploying soon and the last thing I need is for him to worry too much about me.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    apennock wrote: »
    I'm not dismissing the fear - it totally does happen. I run during the daylight and make a conscious effort to run in well populated places or roads. When I lived in rough neighborhoods, I carried pepper spray on my belt loop. I've read the statistics of attacks in areas I live in and try to stay informed of the danger. I still cannot fathom carrying around a gun holster on a run because it seems absurdly overkill.

But I think that's beside the point. Obviously you just need another dog! ;)

A good article, if a few years old: http://www.athleta.net/2012/07/31/running-tragedies-and-how-to-stay-safe/

If you're comfortable with guns then it wouldn't really be overkill to you. I'm not super comfortable with them so I would agree with you, I couldn't imagine running with one.

In all honestly I've gotten spooked running during the day time too. It's a scary world out there sometimes. I don't walk around in fear constantly but there is that looming in the back of my head especially after I became a mother.

And I agree. rescue all the puppies!!!! lol
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    The gun idea--sounds like you've seen too many movies. I dislike carrying my phone, let alone a gun! It's going to be banging against you if you go at any speed, and besides, people are killed by their own handguns all the time--including by perpetrators who have disarmed them.

I carry a cat keychain. It is small, lightweight, and is meant to be held with the fingers through the cat's eyes and the sharp pointy ears poking out, ready to punch criminals in the eyes. It is not legal in all states, though.

Do you have a Running Zone or other running store? Check their sites/FB pages for running groups, or look for flyers in-store. I used to live by one that had twice-weekly runs.

I also used to run in a neighborhood that was between my work and home (I didn't live in a safe area). There were always dog walkers and kids on bikes out and no one ever questioned where I lived.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You need a new dog! Or run with scissors. No one would ever mess with someone running with scissors.. I mean come on!!
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer that a person need to be aware of their surroundings. I live in the ghetto (no, I'm not kidding or trying to make jokes - statistically speaking there is a lot of gang related activity where I live) and I've never felt "unsafe" walking the streets where I live. I always carry mace, a knife, and my fully charged phone in my hydration pack. Some people think it's a little bulky to run with a mini backpack but doing endurance workouts for such a long time it's something I'm used to. I'd consider running with people but I'm an ahole and want the time alone to myself. Everyone has given great suggestions on the groups to if you feel you need a partner. :)
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Carry a concealed weapon--whether it be a knife or a pistol. They make all kinds of concealment gear. Sign up for self defense training to learn how to defend yourself with a knife, pistol, or your bare hands. There is no reason to remain in fear. Empower yourself with the necessary knowledge and skill. Also, never run with headphones at max volume. Always keep your situational awareness up. Learn to not put yourself in dangerous situations as much as possible. Look up your state's laws on concealed weapons and get the necessary permit(s) and training.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I run with my husband right now, but we are moving and he is starting a new job and I am not sure he will keep up with it. I worry about it too. I know our local running shop has group runs they schedule. You may be able to find something like that in your area and then be able to find a running buddy. I run with a stroller so I have also had other mothers approach me for groups on the trail. I may be trying to find something like that when we move.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The gun idea--sounds like you've seen too many movies. I dislike carrying my phone, let alone a gun! It's going to be banging against you if you go at any speed, and besides, people are killed by their own handguns all the time--including by perpetrators who have disarmed them.

It's all about personal preference (not the movies that I've watched) and how I was raised. I carry one because that it is my choice for personal protection, I also carry a hunting knife and mace on my key chain. 75% of the time I can probably get to my knife faster than my gun or my mace anyways. But of course after my dog was properly trained I felt more comfortable running with him without my gun, which did not bang against my hip while I ran because the belt holster that I have keeps it firmly in place.

OP I like the advice about running with a group if you're alright with that, I personally prefer to run alone though. Also getting a 2nd dog is a good option as well but make sure it is or is old (young) enough to be trained how to spot danger/predators and know when and when not to attack certain people. If you choose to carry any type of weapon make sure you get proper training with it and a permit if necessary, and I highly recommend taking a self defense class no matter which option you choose cause you never know when you might need those skills.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm going to echo others in saying that your fear is not irrational, not in the slightest.

Whilst fear may not be irrational, the statistics don't really bear it out. Most analysis I've seen, of UK/ US/ Canadian and Australian crime figures have similar conclusions. Greatest incidence of interpersonal violence is alcohol related and between young males, the majority of sexual violence crimes are within existing relationships or with an assailant known to the victim.

There is significant reporting bias, that influences the perceived risk.

I'd add that I have seen stats around US crime, where there is a high incidence of the victim being shot using their own weapon.

Personally speaking, whilst I'm comfortable carrying pistol and rifle in an operational situation, I can't see any credible situation where I'd see it as proportionate in a civilian situation.

• Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Your fear is not irrational. My sister was attacked and barely survived being raped on a run alone 3 years ago. You have been given some good advice here, and some I'd flush down a toilet, never to be seen again. I have never felt safe running alone since she was attacked. Here are some valuable things Law Enforcement told us regarding running safety for women:
    A. #1 deterrent to becoming prey is having a human running partner(s). Perps are looking for easy targets, and having a friend to sound the alarm ups their risk exponentially. I really would check for running clubs in your city. Most stores that sell running shoes have info on them. My co-worker joined one, and he said there are elites starting with the slowest, they all go at their own pace, and most of them wait around at the finish of the run for the slower runners & they go enjoy a beer together afterward. I wouldn't feel like a beer after running, but they seem to enjoy it! The point is, there is never one slow runner alone at the end of the pack. There are usually 3 or 4 people at each fitness level running together. Also, when I was in Cross Country in High School, our coach used to allow a woman in our community join us for practices. She wasn't a mom. She didn't know anyone on the team, but when she met the coach she expressed just this fear of running alone and he told her she was welcome. At the start of the Cross Country or Track season, most of the runs are what you would consider 'beginner' level & they build from there. I'm sure a community college or university coach may be open to this as well.
    B. A large dog is also a very effective deterrent. I know yours is injured. Mine is too small to be scary to anyone. I seriously am adopting a large dog to feel safer on my runs. A 2nd dog would be an adjustment, but there are so many deserving animals out there in need of a home and love.
    C. Pepper spray can stop some attackers. It can also fail in the event the predator is high on Meth, Bath Salts (yes, they are real), or crack. However, a large dog can disable one of these men on those drugs and make it physically impossible for them to carry out their ill intent. A dog's instincts are sharper than ours, and they are much better at reading an approaching person's character than we are. They are faster to react. We might fumble our pepper spray, or botch readying our gun, but a large dog will already have leapt to our defense as our pepper spray is falling to the ground. I intend on carrying pepper spray while running with my new large dog. A back up plan is good, too.
    D. Large, open area parks with other people running/walking are a safer place so long as there are not dense trees/shrubbery planted near the trail. In my sister's case, she made the mistake of being on a popular running trail in the center of our city at daybreak. Large portions of that trail are open, but some some areas have dense shrubbery & that's where the attacker was hiding.
    E. Of course, being aware of your surroundings and carrying yourself confidently helps deter some evil A-holes. In my sister's case, she was about as confident a woman you could ever meet. She carried herself strongly. Her vulnerability was in being alone, not in looking shy.

I really hope you are able to find a solution that's best for your situation. I had to chuckle at some of the comments about neighborhoods or communities being 'safe'. It's these nice, safe areas that predators often set up shop, because people have their guards down more. I am in no way trying to feed a phobia, but your fear has a valid reason for existing. You can minimize your risk by following some of the good advice you've been given here. And yes, it is male privilege that would cause a man to dismiss this fear.