Body breaking down muscles for energy?!

Options
2»

Replies

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    We've been taught that calories in (eaten) - calories burned (fitness) will lead to weight loss which is partially true BUT food is FUEL and you have to learn how to fuel your body properly and how certain calories/foods react once eaten. The best way I've ever heard it explained was in a documentary by Katie Couric on Netflix about Childhood Obesity called Fed Up. They explained that 160 calories eaten/drank in sugary soda causes a significantly different reaction inside of your body then 160 calories of almonds would. If you have the opportunity to watch the flic I'd recommend it. Essentially, putting 160 calories of sugar water (sodas and juices) would filter right through your stomach and head over to your liver and spike your insulin causing your body to go into hyper drive creating and storing fat where as the 160 calories in almonds will go to your stomach take time to be broken down, making your body work harder and eliminating the food before it becomes fat. As far as the overnight muscle cannibalism, I have heard this one by every trainer and nutritionist I have ever worked with and I just try to drink a protein shake in the morning to combat this theory. I also work out in the morning so that works in my favor regardless. I have heard that in training for the Wolverine movie Hugh Jackman wakes up in the middle of the night to drink a protein shake to combat the muscle nighttime breakdown. Seems to have worked for him. But what do I know, I'm just another fatty struggling to lose a few...

Maybe you are struggling because you listen to this nonsense instead of proven science...
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Any source that thinks you "cannibalize" muscle is automatically not to be trusted.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Katie Couric is just a lady who reads off a teleprompter..
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    mxmakm wrote: »
    - "Missing breakfast, or any meal elicits an emergency response from your system

I didn't read past this utterly ludicrous statement.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    mxmakm wrote: »
    Ok, so my husband and I started going to a new gym yesterday and they gave us a packet about nutrition. I've read many posts on MFP saying you can eat whenever you want, its just the calories that matter, but this gym disagrees and says a lot more. Is any of this even a little bit true or are they just idiots?

- "There are plenty of experts who claim that all that matters is the number of calories you eat. You see, it's not just how much you eat; it's what you eat- and when you eat it.

- "Missing breakfast, or any meal elicits an emergency response from your system. Believing it's on the brink of starvation, your body stores a larger percentage of what you eat next as fat, no matter what you just ate."

- "While you sleep your body is in a fasting state. During this period, liver glycogen levels drop sending hormonal responses that you are starving. When your body is in a starving state it cannibalizes its own muscle converting your hard earned muscle to glucose to feed the brain and maintain your metabolic rate. The next time you eat the body stores more of the next calories you eat as fat. By eating no more than 30 minutes from rising, you stop this state of catabolism and rev your metabolism."

- "Waiting more than 4 to 5 hours between meals causes your blood sugar to bottom out. To combat this, your body secretes cortisol, a hormone that boosts blood-sugar levels back to normal. Trouble is, one of the ways it does this is by converting muscle protein to sugar (glucose), what exercise scientist call muscle wasting (catabolism). The solution: frequent meals. Eating more often helps to regulate blood-sugar levels, protecting your muscles from being broken down and used as energy."

- (And under the "FACT" section:) "If you don't replace the glycogen (stored sugars) that you burned during your workout within 30-45 minutes of your last rep, your body's metabolism begins to quickly slow down cannibalizing its own muscle tissue for energy ...BAD. You end up with a smaller version of your self, increasing the fat to lean muscle tissue ratio, and lowering your metabolic rate ...VERY BAD. By not replacing the sugar immediately, your body will undergo a physiological change and begin to recognize protein as its most important energy source. Over time you will need to work out harder and harder to achieve the same results because you will have less and less protein or muscle to maintain a healthy metabolism."

- "Remember these simple rules: Nutrition is essential for optimizing your workout and achieving your goals.
    - Always eat breakfast.
    - Never skip a meal. Eat five to six meals per day combining complex carbs, proteins, and healthy fats.
    - Always drink a high glycemic post recover shake after every workout.
    - Eat one hour after your shake. "

Are my muscles really that hungry for themselves or is this untrue?
    (Edited because spacing was weird)

Man, this is like bro-sci bingo...
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Your body is continually breaking down muscle (and bone) and rebuilding it--like replacing worn out carpeting. You need to eat enough protein so that there are enough building blocks around to make the replacement muscle.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I actually thought it was awesome that the OP questioned that silly-sounding advice, and I thought that came across. Not at all sure who or what was rude here…
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 large egg, slightly beaten
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    milk, just enough to make pourable batter