Hemp Protein vs Whey Protein

Options
13»

Replies

• Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Attached is the products I use in my shake and I put the recipe in one of my earlier posts. I just started with the seeds b/c I wasn't eating enough fats. The seeds you see are composed of 50% fat. If you don't want that much fat then just remove them. I may dial them back in the near future, but I can tell you this recipe keeps me full for a long time. I think the fats really help. Once I run out of seeds I will adjust the recipe and see....Also attached is my nutrition breakdown....lrzcxlgqca7l.jpg

8ro6bdspdbpf.jpg

I was wandering how (or why) did you get your ratios for your shake ? I understand it equals 50 grams. They seem to be very specific amounts ?
  • lovethepirk
    lovethepirk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Charlie,

Well long story...I wrestled in high school and lived next to wrestlers in college. I always have a massive respect for the active wrestler b/c of the weight cut they must maintain. Now, I really enjoy watching MMA...yes they beat themselves up and I can see how people see it is a bit much, but they MMA fighters are pretty damn good with their diet.

I saw a few of them taking the Onnit hemp shake so I bought some and enjoyed it. I just reversed engineered the ingredients and then played with the recipe as I went along. I still play with it. I will most likely always play with it....the excel sheet allows me to just plug and play different value. The 50 gram portion has always been pretty steady. With the current setup you see I am doing pretty good at hitting the macros without much thought. I'd be up for suggestions on other ingredients if people have any. I may use some fish oil in a month to get the better chained Omega 3's vs the ALA in the hemp and that will have me removing the hemp seeds as they are ~50% fat.

Side note...I love milk shakes, omg :) If I toss a banana in my current mix I would drink that all day long vs milkshake...without the banana I may grab the milkshake and run, but maybe not b/c it is still awesome.

I'm also now growing my own stevia plants. I have 4 of them growing and just ate some of the dried leaves and they were amazing. I am looking forward to eliminating the white processed stevia and using the green leaves one day. Just munching on one leaf that is fresh is an amazing sweet taste.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    20 grams of amino acids is 20 grams of amino acids...just eat 3 more grams of hemp. It's not rocket science....3 grams of hemp powder is a tsp....why are we discussing such small amounts....better yet just mix them 50-50 and be done with it. You are taking side on an issue that doesn't have a winner.

If you are dialing in your protein content per cubic millimeter of powder you eat then you should be so careful when choosing your fats....you are using almond butter or butter. The fats in the hemp blow those two choices out of the water. Why add so many omega 6's in your shake when you could just go with hemp at a 3-1 omega profile and not need to add almond butter. Keep it simple. By adding almond butter you just made your Whey shake more calories and less effective than the hemp. Also, you just added back those 3 grams that you have to burden swallowing with the hemp shake. I promise you the extra tsp of hemp is a not a large swallow :)

Again, there is no winner, they are both good.

Well, let's see... there's this. I HAVE almond butter in my house. I don't have to buy it.

I'm not going to buy two protein powders. I'm only going to buy one, because that's all we can afford. If I want Omega 3's, I'll eat some flax seeds or chia seeds or even... gasp! Hemp seeds. In my daily yogurt. I have those in the house already too. I LIKE almond butter in my shakes. That counts for something too.

You still haven't convinced me to pick hemp protein for this shake I have a few times a week.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I still want to know what whey protein was used in the spreadsheet to compare with the hemp.

From the picture, it looks like it was Jarrow?

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I haven't used whey yet (thought I was lactose intolerant) but have used soy and hemp. For me the hemp is only good in smoothies because otherwise I can't stand the texture/hide the hemp taste. I tried it in yogurt and oatmeal and couldn't stand the taste/texture with those foods.

It also has less protein (9g) than the soy (24g) for more calories (130 cals vs 110 cals).

I only tried it because I am somewhat of a hippie and have liked other hemp products. I probably wouldn't buy hemp protein again.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    When i comes to amino profile, hemp numbers show it to be inferior. I'd go with a Whey Isolate, calories for protein/amino profile numbers its the better protein.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    When i comes to amino profile, hemp numbers show it to be inferior. I'd go with a Whey Isolate, calories for protein/amino profile numbers its the better protein.

Am I mathing incorrectly? He's comparing numbers from one brand of protein powder and maybe for that brand it's true... but when I put up the ON label... doesn't the ON have more arganine per serving? 7.7 g (7700 mg) vs 2783 mg in the Hemp Pro.

Maybe it's just that Jarrow's not that good a protein powder.

• lovethepirk
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Dude, you just don't get it and you never will. You are showing your *kitten* by saying it is superior.

You really showed your *kitten* when you posted 37 grams of hemp vs 99 grams of Isolate as a direct comparision. Good job on the copy and paste, well researched, pat yourself on the back for a post well done on the 37 grams vs 99 grams.

The whey wins in 9 amino acids the hemp wins in 9 when you consume the same amount of amino acids of both.

I know that consuming an additional 2.5 grams of hemp is hard for you to do, but I can work with you on your technique and one day I can successfully get you to swallow an additional 2.5 grams. May take you a couple years to get there though. Took me a day or two until I could handle the extra 2.5 grams. Really threw off my daily weigh ins too.

The whey wins in leucine, key to growing muscles post workout. The hemp wins in several other important aminos.

If you are a woman who does not want to gain muscle and want a protein replacement which is better? If you want a slower absorbing protein that doesn't spike your amino levels so fast PRIOR to workout or to feel fuller longer....which protein is better?

There is no winner, they are both excellent powder and is why I eat them both.
  • lovethepirk
    Options
    Sorry for you, but there is a need to call you out for ignorantly copying and pasting 37 grams vs 99 grams as a comparison. I'm sorry but you can't rationally defend your post.

There's only so much protein you need, any clear minded person can see the values for both are so close superiority is a non-issue. I eat the Whey for the larger leucine, I eat the Hemp for the slower digestion.

What about pH level of both. Hemp wins there, what about polyphenols, what about the source of omega6-3 and it's ratio?

There are many ways to say hemp is superior to whey. I don't say that though b/c it's not an argument to have. You seem to be set that whey just dominates the world of protein when it does not, but it is a great choice.

Good luck to you and next time you post something and try to defend it make sure you think through the numbers you are posting for other's benefits.

Know your numbers!

• MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Sorry for you, but there is a need to call you out for ignorantly copying and pasting 37 grams vs 99 grams as a comparison. I'm sorry but you can't rationally defend your post.

There's only so much protein you need, any clear minded person can see the values for both are so close superiority is a non-issue. I eat the Whey for the larger leucine, I eat the Hemp for the slower digestion.

What about pH level of both. Hemp wins there, what about polyphenols, what about the source of omega6-3 and it's ratio?

There are many ways to say hemp is superior to whey. I don't say that though b/c it's not an argument to have. You seem to be set that whey just dominates the world of protein when it does not, but it is a great choice.

Good luck to you and next time you post something and try to defend it make sure you think through the numbers you are posting for other's benefits.

Know your numbers!

i was going to try and read all of this again, and pay attention properly to see what all the fuss was about, but you lost me with that comment right there.

I suddenly stopped caring...

Enjoy your proteiney goodness, whichever way you swing.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n4i7wzWwMk1toe8uno1_500.gif

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.
This discussion has been closed.