Alkaline Diet

Hey there, Is anyone familiar with or doing the Alkaline diet or rather, way of eating? Thoughts?

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Thank God, I was just starting to get bored at work.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

Grab some popcorn?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    From the wikipedia article: Advocates for alternative uses of an alkaline diet propose that since the normal pH of the blood is slightly alkaline, the goal of diet should be to mirror this by eating a diet that is alkaline producing as well. These advocates propose that diets high in acid-producing elements will generally lead the body to become acidic, which can foster disease. This proposed mechanism, in which the diet can significantly change the acidity of the blood, goes against "everything we know about the chemistry of the human body" and has been called a "myth" in a statement by the American Institute for Cancer Research. Unlike the pH level in the urine, a selectively alkaline diet has not been shown to elicit a sustained change in blood pH levels, nor to provide the clinical benefits claimed by its proponents. Because of the body's natural regulatory mechanisms, which do not require a special diet to work, eating an alkaline diet can, at most, change the blood pH minimally and transiently.

From the concept of what it is, it's very limiting. You cut out meats, dairy and grains, and eat primarily fruits and vegetables. If it makes you feel better, great, just make sure you're eating enough of the allowed foods to make sure your nutrients are balanced.
    If you're just looking at it for kicks, I'd say why bother? It's way too restrictive for me to make it a sustainable diet. You may pry cheese from my cold dead hand, and not even then if I have my way.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Emilia777 wrote: »

Grab some popcorn?
    Its not even Friday at that.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Yes, and it's a bunch of poppycock.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Poppycock haha I love it :wink:
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    You can change the pH of your urine by the foods you eat, but that's it. Your body has many ways to regulate your pH and the food you eat doesn't affect it one single bit.
  • Emilia777
    Afura wrote: »

Grab some popcorn?
    Its not even Friday at that.

Right? I’m with you RE cheese btw. Not happening, ever. I love the word “poppycock” btw. Vastly underused.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Afura wrote: »
    From the wikipedia article: Advocates for alternative uses of an alkaline diet propose that since the normal pH of the blood is slightly alkaline, the goal of diet should be to mirror this by eating a diet that is alkaline producing as well. These advocates propose that diets high in acid-producing elements will generally lead the body to become acidic, which can foster disease. This proposed mechanism, in which the diet can significantly change the acidity of the blood, goes against "everything we know about the chemistry of the human body" and has been called a "myth" in a statement by the American Institute for Cancer Research. Unlike the pH level in the urine, a selectively alkaline diet has not been shown to elicit a sustained change in blood pH levels, nor to provide the clinical benefits claimed by its proponents. Because of the body's natural regulatory mechanisms, which do not require a special diet to work, eating an alkaline diet can, at most, change the blood pH minimally and transiently.

From the concept of what it is, it's very limiting. You cut out meats, dairy and grains, and eat primarily fruits and vegetables. If it makes you feel better, great, just make sure you're eating enough of the allowed foods to make sure your nutrients are balanced.
    If you're just looking at it for kicks, I'd say why bother? It's way too restrictive for me to make it a sustainable diet. You may pry cheese from my cold dead hand, and not even then if I have my way.

It's also complete woo. Really changing the acidity of your blood by what you eat is . . . let's say, unlikely.
  • Emilia777

It's also complete woo. Really changing the acidity of your blood by what you eat is . . . let's say, unlikely.

This isn’t too far off from the Zodiac Sign Diet (I wish I was making this up…)
  • janejellyroll

First of all, that's crazy.

Second of all, it says I should give up spicy food. That will never, never, never happen. I don't care if I do have "excess fire."
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    more vegan nonsense
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    alkaline diet? Is that when one need to take antacids?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    andympanda wrote: »

No, you eat old batteries.
  • Emilia777

Second of all, it says I should give up spicy food. That will never, never, never happen. I don't care if I do have "excess fire."

Amen to that. I’d rather use that excess fire to bend some cold hard iron. :triumph: (i.e. lift them heavy weights like a boss)
  • juggernaut1974
    Hornsby wrote: »
    andympanda wrote: »

No, you eat old batteries.

They keep you going...and going...and going

Marching-into-history-At-20-Energizer-Bunny-is-an-icon.jpg
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

Excess fire is brought back into balance by foods that are cold, moist and heavy...

Does this mean I get ice cream? Because I could work with that diet.

• janejellyroll
    more vegan nonsense

Although the alkaline diet can be followed by vegans, it doesn't require eliminating animal products from the diet. It's just nonsense, not particularly vegan nonsense.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

Excess fire is brought back into balance by foods that are cold, moist and heavy...

Ehh.. you just happen to be lucky. Apparently I need to eat croutons for some reason (while simultaneously avoiding grain.. so yeah), and the only way to remedy excess air does not involve eating :(
  • janejellyroll
    edited May 2015

Wow, I like the way you think . . . A gin and tonic in a heavy glass would also qualify, I think.
  • juggernaut1974

Curiousity killed the cat...

So I'm supposed to eat croutons, but not grains or yeasty foods; steamed vegetables, but no rootcrops; nuts, but no raw foods.

And how do I know if I'm high air or low air? Because if I'm low air, angostura bitters are supposed to remedy something for me, which means I'm having old fashioneds all night!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

Ehh.. you just happen to be lucky. Apparently I need to eat croutons for some reason (while simultaneously avoiding grain.. so yeah), and the only way to remedy excess air does not involve eating :(

Looking into it further (ie actually reading the whole thing) I see that I'm to eat more yogurt and avoid dairy products. So maybe ice cream is out and frozen yogurt is in. It's all very scientific and complicated.

• janejellyroll
    ceoverturf wrote: »

So I'm supposed to eat croutons, but not grains or yeasty foods; steamed vegetables, but no rootcrops; nuts, but no raw foods.

And how do I know if I'm high air or low air? Because if I'm low air, angostura bitters are supposed to remedy something for me, which means I'm having old fashioneds all night!

I'm starting to suspect that this entire diet is a scheme by the American Alcohol Association . . . deciding what solid foods to eat will be so confusing we'll just drink our dinners instead.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    @flippy1234flippy1234 in short, it's a fad diet not based on real science. If you still wish to try it just for the laughs, make sure you are not undereating.
  • juggernaut1974

I'm starting to suspect that this entire diet is a scheme by the American Alcohol Association . . . deciding what solid foods to eat will be so confusing we'll just drink our dinners instead.

I'm not entirely against that idea...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,943 Member
    Yes, and it's a bunch of poppycock.
    Correct, it's full of horsefeathers.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

1174804810.jpg
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    OP, the alkaline diet is based on inaccurate pseudoscience. Eat less calories than you burn off every day and you will lose weight. You can eat anything, just as long as you have a calorie deficit.

Of course, it's a good idea to eat a lot of nutrious foods for your general health, not a diet of nothing but candy bars. :)
  • janejellyroll
    200.gif
  • Emilia777

I'm not entirely against that idea...

Hahaha. Y’all are funny. I recall hearing that Guinness beer is a proper meal replacement at some point.