Alkaline Diet

2»

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »

It's also complete woo. Really changing the acidity of your blood by what you eat is . . . let's say, unlikely.

This isn’t too far off from the Zodiac Sign Diet (I wish I was making this up…)

Curiousity killed the cat...

So I'm supposed to eat croutons, but not grains or yeasty foods; steamed vegetables, but no rootcrops; nuts, but no raw foods.

And how do I know if I'm high air or low air? Because if I'm low air, angostura bitters are supposed to remedy something for me, which means I'm having old fashioneds all night!

I love the Astrology diet, I lose calories every time I laugh at it. I'm supposed to give up dairy. Yeah. Uh huh. Poppycock! At least the Borg won't get me with my slow metabolism.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Afura wrote: »
    From the wikipedia article: Advocates for alternative uses of an alkaline diet propose that since the normal pH of the blood is slightly alkaline, the goal of diet should be to mirror this by eating a diet that is alkaline producing as well. These advocates propose that diets high in acid-producing elements will generally lead the body to become acidic, which can foster disease. This proposed mechanism, in which the diet can significantly change the acidity of the blood, goes against "everything we know about the chemistry of the human body" and has been called a "myth" in a statement by the American Institute for Cancer Research. Unlike the pH level in the urine, a selectively alkaline diet has not been shown to elicit a sustained change in blood pH levels, nor to provide the clinical benefits claimed by its proponents. Because of the body's natural regulatory mechanisms, which do not require a special diet to work, eating an alkaline diet can, at most, change the blood pH minimally and transiently.

From the concept of what it is, it's very limiting. You cut out meats, dairy and grains, and eat primarily fruits and vegetables. If it makes you feel better, great, just make sure you're eating enough of the allowed foods to make sure your nutrients are balanced.
    If you're just looking at it for kicks, I'd say why bother? It's way too restrictive for me to make it a sustainable diet. You may pry cheese from my cold dead hand, and not even then if I have my way.

It's also complete woo. Really changing the acidity of your blood by what you eat is . . . let's say, unlikely.

Well, you sort of can... to a point. Follow me here. Alkolisis and Acidosis are both medical conditions where the ph of the blood is knocked out of balance by several different things, none of them dietary. Depending on the cause, an oral solution of either bicarbonate or saline might be used for treatment. It should be noted, though, that all this does is RESTORE the blood to normal ph.

You can't bypass the kidneys and throw the blood ph out of whack with food.

So, bottom line? You can treat a medically whacked out ph by orally ingesting a substance, but you can't whack out the ph by ingesting something.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    From the wikipedia article: Advocates for alternative uses of an alkaline diet propose that since the normal pH of the blood is slightly alkaline, the goal of diet should be to mirror this by eating a diet that is alkaline producing as well. These advocates propose that diets high in acid-producing elements will generally lead the body to become acidic, which can foster disease. This proposed mechanism, in which the diet can significantly change the acidity of the blood, goes against "everything we know about the chemistry of the human body" and has been called a "myth" in a statement by the American Institute for Cancer Research. Unlike the pH level in the urine, a selectively alkaline diet has not been shown to elicit a sustained change in blood pH levels, nor to provide the clinical benefits claimed by its proponents. Because of the body's natural regulatory mechanisms, which do not require a special diet to work, eating an alkaline diet can, at most, change the blood pH minimally and transiently.

From the concept of what it is, it's very limiting. You cut out meats, dairy and grains, and eat primarily fruits and vegetables. If it makes you feel better, great, just make sure you're eating enough of the allowed foods to make sure your nutrients are balanced.
    If you're just looking at it for kicks, I'd say why bother? It's way too restrictive for me to make it a sustainable diet. You may pry cheese from my cold dead hand, and not even then if I have my way.

Well, you sort of can... to a point. Follow me here. Alkolisis and Acidosis are both medical conditions where the ph of the blood is knocked out of balance by several different things, none of them dietary. Depending on the cause, an oral solution of either bicarbonate or saline might be used for treatment. It should be noted, though, that all this does is RESTORE the blood to normal ph.

Science!

Thank you for the correction. I was unaware of these medical conditions.
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Thank God, I was just starting to get bored at work.

Class.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member

So, bottom line? You can treat a medically whacked out ph by orally ingesting a substance, but you can't whack out the ph by ingesting something.

77291-she-blinded-me-with-science-gi-HviR.gif
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Emilia777 wrote: »

qs54rk8rvc7d.png
  • Afura

I followed. :smile: I think the point was that you can't eat a certain set of foods to rebalance your alkaline level, you can take a suppliment type of item (the bicarbonate or saline), but eating a bunch of fruit and veggies isn't going to cure someone whose system is far enough out of balance that they're Alkolisis or Acidosis.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Watch out, one more accurate fact and this thread may actually become useful to someone.
  • juggernaut1974

Watch out, one more accurate fact and this thread may actually become useful to someone.

Well...we can't have that now.

I'd like to hear more about this all alcohol diet...

Beer-1.jpg
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    edited May 2015
    Aren't we slightly alkaline by nature?
  • PeachyCarol
    edited May 2015

I followed. :smile: I think the point was that you can't eat a certain set of foods to rebalance your alkaline level, you can take a suppliment type of item (the bicarbonate or saline), but eating a bunch of fruit and veggies isn't going to cure someone whose system is far enough out of balance that they're Alkolisis or Acidosis.

Those woo sites sell supplements, but they aren't going to affect blood ph. The kidneys will compensate. The causes behind Alkolosis and Acidosis are by and large medical.

The funniest supplement I saw was a liquidized baking soda solution for something like $35.00. What a money-making scam.

• Afura

Those woo sites sell supplements, but they aren't going to affect blood ph. The kidneys will compensate. The causes behind Alkolosis and Acidosis are by and large medical.

The funniest supplement I saw was a liquidized baking soda solution for something like $35.00. What a money-making scam.

Oh really. Hmm. I have some old arm & hammer and tap water, maybe I should sell at $30....
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015

Oh really. Hmm. I have some old arm & hammer and tap water, maybe I should sell at $30....

Nonono. Tap water simply will not do. Use pure ph neutral water distilled from the tears of angels, obtained from the source, namely a subterranean vulcanic spring in Scamia. It’s where Dr. Oz goes to meditate and find the inspiration to bring health advice to the masses.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Yes, and it's a bunch of poppycock.

Love Poppycock Popcorn!! *drool*
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Sure, I tried it. Cuz I'm all about that base.

I can't get that song outta my head now...
  • juggernaut1974
    Rogstar wrote: »
    Sure, I tried it. Cuz I'm all about that base.

I can't get that song outta my head now...

Gold star for you for the pun.

-1 demerit for getting that stupid song in my head.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    so wait... i should quit eating these double-a batteries?
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    OK, haha, all very funny. I was just curious about it. I did not say I was doing it.
    You all are funny.
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    Hey there, Is anyone familiar with or doing the Alkaline diet or rather, way of eating? Thoughts?

Hi I am on this diet/the 5/2 diet. Started on alkaline and lost at least 14lbs maybe even 20 in a few months. There is not much protein on this lifestyle as protein causes acid/ash and is challenging for your immune system. Lots of fresh veg - celery, cucumber, green veg, green juicing, watermelons - check Pinterest for food lists. I went through a real cleanse/detox without even trying. I'd say it's a really healthy lifestyle change and I feel much better for it. Now doing two fast days a week for last three weeks just to further improve my immunity.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

How many calories in poppycock?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    988909_597852927018914_1575993988559588191_n.jpg?oh=3e577567349af735e1d51a519e480cac&oe=55C563CF
  • jingerbird
    jingerbird Posts: 25 Member
    I guess the alkaline diet would fit in more with what early man would have eaten. There would have been very few carbs and dairy, lots of vegetables and some fruit and meat, what ever was in season at the time.Our bodies haven't adapted that much since the 'caveman days'. So I guess that is the way we should eat. However I find it near impossible to avoid milk chocolate and coffee ( although I do drink decaf now o:) )
  • PeachyCarol
    edited May 2015
    rabbitjb wrote: »

How many calories in poppycock?

Couldn't find a nutritional label image, but it's about 160. It's yummy.

Caramel, peanuts, popcorn. Pure crack.

• HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    I do recall reading once upon a time that whether a female's body is more alkaline or acidic at the moment of conception for her future child, can influence the sex of the baby - this is information I came across as I have been known to state I would only consider reproducing if I could somehow guarantee I'd have a boy...

I am a girl... I know how hard we can be haha

Not making a judgment either way on if this has any science to back it up... but if I were to head down that road someday, I may look into becoming more acidic when planning a family...

I find it kind of funny that eating fruits and veggies "can lead to having a girl" while eating junk food, cheeseburgers, etc "can lead to having a boy". (quotes because I have no idea if the theory holds any water).
  • PeachyCarol
    SMH. Your blood pH remains fairly CONSTANT at 7.4. There is a very, very complex state of homeostasis keeping it that way. You cannot make your body more acid or alkaline.

Our stomach acid pH is -3. Everything we eat gets broken down by that acid, then ejected into the intestines. You know what happens in the intestines? Enzymes and and the liquids there neutralize the pH of the digestive matter. So all of the food you ate now has a neutral pH. It won't do anything for your body's pH balance.

Bottom line?

Everything we eat, drink, and digest ends up the same neutral pH as our intestines.
  • nikolausi88
    nikolausi88 Posts: 22 Member
    jingerbird wrote: »
    I guess the alkaline diet would fit in more with what early man would have eaten. There would have been very few carbs and dairy, lots of vegetables and some fruit and meat, what ever was in season at the time.Our bodies haven't adapted that much since the 'caveman days'. So I guess that is the way we should eat. However I find it near impossible to avoid milk chocolate and coffee ( although I do drink decaf now o:) )

Actually, our bodies have changed quite a bit over the last several thousand years. More importantly, our bodily functions are also dependent on bacteria (and enzymes). So even if the argument is that it is not enough time for humans to evolve dramatically, there have been enough generations of bacteria living in our bodies to allow for their adaptive mutations.

There is nothing wrong with trying to eat a lot of fruits and veggies, but we likely wouldn't do as well eating like people did 5000 years ago.

One more point while I'm ranting here: it is really easy to be very thin if food scarcity is an issue. You can also be very thin and very malnourished, which is what "cavemen" might have been at times, but lifespans were too short for that to really matter.