Trail Running Footwear

2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    If you're talking about going out for a trail run, then I'd advocate trail shoes, although for hard packed trail a road shoe would be reasonable. For walking, I'd probably avoid running shoes, particularly if carrying a load.

For a patrol pack, then I'd be comfortable enough in approach shoes, for an all up bergan, I'd be going for boots.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Thank you, guys and gals! Looks like the trail runners are the way to go. I plan on going to a local running store to help me select the exact model based on my physical attributes and the trails I'll likely be on.

Hopefully I'll find a good pair that are not all decked out in neon colors. Give me earth tones!!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Hopefully I'll find a good pair that are not all decked out in neon colors. Give me earth tones!!

What?? There's no fun in that.... lol

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    I almost bought a pair of trail shoes two weeks ago but the one that I liked, they only had in a very obnoxious color scheme. Nope, not going to wear this:

brooks-cascadia-10.jpg

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited May 2015
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I almost bought a pair of trail shoes two weeks ago but the one that I liked, they only had in a very obnoxious color scheme. Nope, not going to wear this:

brooks-cascadia-10.jpg

That's not bad at all!

91xeBm9lDvL._UX575_.jpg
    Salomon XR Missions.
    I want.

ETA: Newton Running has some pretty bold colors as well.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Speaking VERRRY generally...

The only pro to road running sneakers I can think of is the greater variety/selection. Potential cons are less protection and less traction. How problematic those things are will depend on your trails and, to some extent, your running style.

Trail running sneakers have come a long way, and can be as light, flexible, nimble as you want them to be. Traction can also be as aggressive as you want, depending on your needs, and some will offer more protection from things like sharp rocks, roots, sticks, etc. IMO, there is no real con to this group if you select a shoe that is well suited to your needs/trails (i.e. a lighter, faster shoes for more groomed trails, a more robust, aggressive shoe for more technical trails).

Trail hikers will generally be a bit heavier and less flexible, but offer more protection and potentially more support.

IMO, a trail running sneaker can be incredibly versatile. I've used them for everything from 8 hr day hikes to racing off-road triathlons.

Solid info there. You have to evaluate what your needs are. From the info given by OP I would opt for a decent trail running shoe that offers protection for long day hikes, but also supports running. I have a pair like that and love them. But I also have a pair of OCR (obstacle course racing) trail running shoes that offer much less support (quicker/lighter) and crazy amount of traction. I wouldn't wear those on a long hike. I can't wear either shoe on the road because it is too "sticky" with the traction. So I also have a pair of road/gym sneakers.....

And then I have dress shoes and boots for work and barn/riding boots....too many shoes :(
  • LoneWolfRunner
    v4mg9ue0ggda.jpg

Just picked these up...
  • LoneWolfRunner
    177q36qbqb1x.jpg
    v3yb9l9d6wuc.jpg
    ciejiccuxokw.jpg

The rest of my non-earthtone collection...