Anyone doing that Bulletproof thing?

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Bulletproof "diet"/coffee drinking/eating plan...and if you saw any positive results. Sincere responses only, please. Just curious and looking for information. Thanks.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Seems like a waste of a good cup of coffee.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    I looked it up and it sounds like a fad diet invented to sell books. And, oh look, he sells his Bulletproof® Coffee on his website. What a coincidence.
  • kwfitgal
    kwfitgal Posts: 228 Member
    Yeah, the actual book seems fadish/market-based, but many of the principles are quite similar to Ketogenic diet, which has worked miracles for those suffering from seizures (which is not my case), but is also supposed to set the body up to burn fat faster. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Well as long as you log the calories you're putting in your coffee ...and stick to your defecit it could be effective

Me, I like my coffee to be less than 10 calories (milk) cos I drink so much
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited May 2015
    I found this article on it:

http://gizmodo.com/bulletproof-coffee-debunking-the-hot-buttered-hype-1681321467

The thing about setting up the body to burn fat faster sounds like pure bunk.
  • kwfitgal
    kwfitgal Posts: 228 Member
    @ BlueSkyShoal: Say, thank you for the link! The article is informative, with good links to other related articles. I appreciate your reply. :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    It tastes yummy. I don't think it really keeps me full. I don't have enough calories to do it daily though. That's a ton of calories just for coffee and I need some calories for food!
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    If I remember correctly, butter in coffee started for people on Arctic and Antarctic expeditions. The use up a lot ( aLOT) of calories in a Day, because they are walking/hiking carrying pounds of materials in a super cold climate. In that context it makes sense that you want to add butter to your coffee for extra calories.

There are also a few cultures that make butter tea (Tibet).

I was hoping to post a link but I'm having trouble navigating through the bulletproof coffee advertisements...
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
  • myahennessy
    myahennessy Posts: 8 Member
    I recently started having bulletproof coffee for breakfast, not for weight loss purposes, more for energy and nutrition reasons, never enough fat in my diet (always too much sugar!). I follow a clean eating plan, not too strict but I have had positive results since i started having the bulletproof coffee in the morn . Some weight loss, noticeable increase in energy and skin is in better condition. Also noticed better concentration in work and less "brain fog". I don't use a massive amount of butter, approx 1 tablespoon. It works for me and what I want from it.
  • lohsep
    lohsep Posts: 1 Member
    Hi,
    started a few weeks ago, but fell off the wagon during a holiday.... I'm trying it again and doing the intermittent fasting thing. I eat between 2pm and 8pm only. I really like the taste of the bulletproof coffee and I don't crave food or get hungry until 2pm. I could probably go longer without food. You can friend me, I'd be happy to share my meals and weight. Generally I eat more than advised, and weight loss is happening but slowly.
    I know it sounds like a fad diet, but I figured, try it for a month and see how it goes. If I gain weight or feel like crap I can always stop.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    When I was on a keto diet, I loved the bulletproof coffee. I used a mixture of butter and coconut oil in my coffee. I always felt more energetic in the morning with my coffee prepared this way.

I'm not on this diet any longer, but would still drink coffee this way if I had the calories to spare. Plus I loved the taste.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    "Placebo effects are largely an illusion of various well-known psychological factors and errors in perception, memory, and cognition – confirmation bias, regression to the mean, post-hoc fallacy, optimism bias, risk justification, suggestibility, expectation bias, and failure to account for multiple variables. There are also variable (depending on the symptoms being treated) and subjective effects from improved mood and outlook.

"Concluding from all of this that a treatment “works”, when a treatment appears to be followed by improved symptoms, is like concluding that an alleged psychic’s power “works” whenever their random guessing hits. This is why anecdotal experience is as worthless in determining if a treatment works as is taking the subjective experience of a target of a cold reading in determining if a psychic’s power is genuine."

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/well-it-worked-for-me/
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    I guess if you wanted to add more fat to your diet? I think it sounds like a waste of coffee.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Will it work without eating in a deficit? No. Could it help you not eat extra calories (by not feeling as hungry, or placebo effect, either case gives the same results so who cares)? Possibly.

Will it cause you to burn more calories? Only if you used to take it black and now have to get a knife and the butter out of the fridge.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    kwfitgal wrote: »
    supposed to set the body up to burn fat faster.

I can assure you, it does not.

Don't fall for fads and marketing tactics. Use logic and common sense.

Fat burning is a result of increased activity and/or a caloric deficit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I found this article on it:

http://gizmodo.com/bulletproof-coffee-debunking-the-hot-buttered-hype-1681321467

The thing about setting up the body to burn fat faster sounds like pure bunk.

Thanks for the link. I especially liked this part:

"You can lose a pound a day on this diet.

This may be true, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing or that it's good for you. Hell, I lost six pounds in four days by eating nothing but ice cream. And then I gained literally all of that weight back that very weekend. This is the problem with these extreme diets that promise rapid results: They aren't sustainable. You can lose weight on just about any diet (Paleo, Atkins, South Beach, 4 Hour Body, etc), but the number one reason that extreme diets fail is that they are very hard to stick with over time.

And make no mistake, the Bulletproof Coffee Diet is most definitely extreme. Between the two tablespoons of butter and one tablespoon of MCT oil in your morning coffee, you are consuming 140 percent of your RDA for saturated fat before you have taken a single bite of real food. As for the rest of the diet, it's basically a high-fat riff on the Paleo Diet (which is, itself, highly controversial)."
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    As some of the theirs have said, if you are on a high fat diet, then BP coffee is pretty common. For those who eat LCHF, we know it isn't "magic" but it fits into our macros well, and tastes good.

I skip the BP coffee because I prefer whipped heavy cream in my coffee instead. Yum!
  • Zoe678
    Zoe678 Posts: 134 Member
    I made a cup at home once, it tasted interesting, but was not worth all of the extra calories.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    I really don't know what the "Bulletproof diet/coffee drinking/eating plan" consists of, but I do toss a little unrefined coconut oil in my coffee occasionally. I like the taste.

In case anyone is unaware, many coffee whiteners/creamers are actually vegetable oil. Maybe you are drinking bulletproof coffee without even realizing it. B)