Body Shamming and Shark Fitness

Options

Replies

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Interesting, I read about this yesterday but I never went to his Facebook page. It was awful what he did and her response was awesome as well.

What I find interesting is the name Shark Fitness. He might have a rights issue with that name. Take a look at the link below. Yes there is a difference. GymShark versus Shark Fitness. But take a look at the logo on the shirt I linked versus the one on his page. I think he is trying to make a play off of the brand.

gymshark.co.uk/collections/all-mens-wear/products/gymshark-fitness-gym-hoodie-navy

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ksy1969 wrote: »
    Interesting, I read about this yesterday but I never went to his Facebook page. It was awful what he did and her response was awesome as well.

What I find interesting is the name Shark Fitness. He might have a rights issue with that name. Take a look at the link below. Yes there is a difference. GymShark versus Shark Fitness. But take a look at the logo on the shirt I linked versus the one on his page. I think he is trying to make a play off of the brand.

gymshark.co.uk/collections/all-mens-wear/products/gymshark-fitness-gym-hoodie-navy

Interesting point, but they’re in different markets (fitness personal training VS workout clothes) and in different countries (US vs UK). Until there’s some overlap, a trademark infringement claim is unlikely.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm not in favor of him putting pictures on his Facebook page, but I would really like to know how 2 nachos, 2 pretzels, and 3 sodas at a stadium can be 1,400 calories. Even if the sodas were diet (and thus 0 calories), I get more than 1,400 calories from 2 plates of nachos and 2 pretzels.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    We should not let ourselves consume 4200 calories. The key in that being ourselves, not someone who doesn't know me or my life. He seems to have removed the picture from the Shark Fitness page, but has made several posts about it trying to defend what he said, and imo just digging a hole. What he was trying to accomplish I understand, how he went about it was a different thing completely.
    Speaking as that person who has been crammed up next to someone in a tiny seat, I already feel embarassed about it. I already understand that this is happening and try to be as accomodating as possible. Cheesus, I'm going to a performing arts center this evening and now all I can think is "I hope I don't bother the other person". Jerkface.

Samesies
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I love how she responded. I hope he reads it and feels really bad about himself for that.

@Soopatt, first off I want to let you know that I'm not trying to be rude in my response to what you said about people hiding behind fake profile pictures, and if it comes out that way then I do apologize. But some people, like myself, don't take pictures of themselves very often. I have a picture in my profile, that also used to be my profile picture for a while, of me on my wedding day in 2011. I chose the picture I have now because I recently got into lifting and found it inspiring. I do have a picture of myself from last summer that I will probably use in my before and after comparison photos when I've reached my goals, but those are probably the two most recent pictures of myself that I have and I honestly hate taking pictures (I take more pictures of my cats and of nature and my niece's than I do of myself). I know that for some not sharing their photo is a privacy thing, some just blot out their faces. Everyone has a different reason for deciding not to show their own picture but like you said that's their business.
    Soopatt wrote: »
    We need to keep out of other people's business as we are more often than not leaping to the completely wrong conclusion.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm not in favor of him putting pictures on his Facebook page, but I would really like to know how 2 nachos, 2 pretzels, and 3 sodas at a stadium can be 1,400 calories. Even if the sodas were diet (and thus 0 calories), I get more than 1,400 calories from 2 plates of nachos and 2 pretzels.

The point is why is she being judge for what she eats. So what it more than 1400 calories. It still does not change the fact that some fools have nothing better to do than watch someone eat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Ironically I think of "Shark" Fitness as literally meaning "predator" business for weight lifting. Whatever his views are, they are his. Just like any other person. Putting it out in public? He should expect backlash. In business sometimes, bad news is good advertisement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

While that is true I want to see who support his views on this lady?
    Trust, it will be the unspoken majority.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So what do you think this guy has to gain from that post on his page? I cannot think of any that he can profit from.
    He may not get obese or overweight people in, but he may have a bunch of like minded fitness and athletes with the same mentality. There are LOTS of people that think like he does.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Can anyone cut and paste her response? I cannot bring it up, keep getting an error message.

Re: the trainers attitude. Unfortunately, that is the norm for so many in the fitness industry. Same thing with fitness clothing. Many of the companies who make good quality clothing only go up to a size 14 or 16. What, a size 26 woman can't work out? There are enough larger women who could become very loyal customers (and buy more as they go down in size) if these companies would just design even a basic assortment. At least the swimsuit manufacturers have figured it out and it was easy to find a good chlorine resistant one piece suit for swimming laps back when I wore a 26.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

The point is why is she being judge for what she eats. So what it more than 1400 calories. It still does not change the fact that some fools have nothing better to do than watch someone eat.

I'm not defending the guy, but I'm saying I don't believe her response is entirely truthful. Two wrongs don't make a right.
  • Emilia777
    edited May 2015
    Options

It depends on the serving size. Two servings of Taco Bell nachos are between 620 - 1500 calories, depending on which you get (the classic or the grande). Two Starbucks cheese pretzels are 720 calories. So, it’s not unrealistic. Could this be underestimated? Yes, but that’s the risk of eating out, unless the stadium provided nutritional information. As long as it’s in the ballpark, I don’t think it’s worth dwelling over as an occasional thing. I know I’ve probably underestimated calories in the past, but that doesn’t mean I was intentionally lying to myself (or that this woman is lying in her response) - I just did the best I could with the available info.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    Wonder what the dude would say to me at the movies. I usually eat 2 hot dogs, nachos, a small popcorn and Milkduds practically every time I go.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Could he have possibly exaggerated about how much she ate too?
  • earlnabby
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Could he have possibly exaggerated about how much she ate too?

This is what I was thinking. Perhaps she bought them and walked to her seat with them but shared with her companions.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Shark Fitness sounds like a menstruation site, and from the comments he made on the various news sites that guy sounds like an arrogant, ignorant twerp.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Dang, now I want Nachos. Thank goodness there's no Taco Bell nearby....lol...it would blow my calories for wine tonight. :expressionless:
  • Emilia777
    Options
    Dang, now I want Nachos. Thank goodness there's no Taco Bell nearby....lol...it would blow my calories for wine tonight. :expressionless:

Wine calories are very important to me too :smile:
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

Wine calories are very important to me too :smile:

me three

• Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Me four!
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Me five. In for wine calories.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I prefer whiskey over wine, but I agree, my alcohol calories are very important. I'd be lost without them.