Nothing works! Please help.

Options
124»

Replies

• star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The thing with sw is they don't encourage portion control as much as they should. When I was going, they'd tell you such and such is a free food so pile your plate high with it. That's not good for teaching moderation and portion control. Now I calorie count I fill my plate with what I would like, what I need for my macros and what will fill me up. All within my calorie allowance
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Hey Julie! I'm glad you're here.
    Don't lose faith.

I always try to develop what I call my ADHD
    Accuracy
    Diligence
    Honesty
    Discipline

First things first: How accurately are you measuring EVERYTHING you consume? I don't mean guestimating, rounding off, forgetting condiments and leaving off liquids.

Are you being diligent and staying on your goals every day?

Are you being honest with yourself?

Are you trying to become more disciplined?

If you don't have a food scale, get one. They are like $15. It helps. Grab a few glass measuring cups while you're there. And a set of measuring spoons and cups. You can get all of this stuff for less than $30. It makes a huge difference.

You have a good goal set. It's important to you. You are going to accomplish this goal---but it's going to take the work.

And that's ok, because you're good for it!

I wish you the best of luck.
    Brandon

What a great post!
  • cassandralepandaa
    cassandralepandaa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it may be you stressing out that is causing you to plateau and not lose weight.
  • dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I could have written something "similar" to this about a year ago.

While I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, I did wonder ... why am I not losing weight even though I am certain I am doing all the right things? I was going to the gym 3-4 times a week, I cut down on what I was eating but those scales and even the tape measure were NOT budging.

It's not until I got myself some digital scales and weighed every.single.damn.thing that things started to happen. I also logged everything and it wasn't until I was logging things and weighing things that I started to realise that I was overeating and was drastically underestimating what I was eating.

Now I am losing steadily at 1500 calories a day eating what I like but in moderation. When I looked to see how much I was eating before, I was eating around maintenance hence no weight loss.

You have to weigh and log everything. You probably thing that those 10 extra grams of this and 20 extra grams of that isn't going to make any difference but it sure does! I thought having an extra tortilla wrap with chicken and 15g of cheddar cheese wasn't going to knock me over the edge but just one of those was clocking in at ~300 calories - enough to not see any results!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I'm now on Slimming World so not calorie counting. I volunteer for a food and nutrition charity and every one of their dieticians has told me counting calories is out dated and they no longer advise it. I'm beyond confused,

Huh? Do they charge lots of money for you to lose weight? If so, they are quacks. If not, they are quacks.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hey Julie! I'm glad you're here.
    Don't lose faith.

I always try to develop what I call my ADHD
    Accuracy
    Diligence
    Honesty
    Discipline

Brandon

I am totally going to steal this. Fantastic acronym and captures what MFP and CICO are all about.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I tried Diet Chef about 2 years ago and recently Jane Plan both of which are calorie counted...and I gained weight on the Jane Plan.
    I had a nutrionist advice session when I joined the gym who also told me calorie counting isn't the best way as it doesn't guarantee a healthy diet. I'm vegetarian and limit diary as it makes me ill. Most of my diet is vegetables, salad, pulses and fruit

There are millions of people on MFP look at the success forums for a fraction of people who lose. Calorie counting is used in combination with having a healthier diet generally. If you dont wnat to do it then stick with slimming world, but everyone here calorie counts quite ok. the reason you arent losing is because you are eating too much. Vegetarian or not healthy or not. If you want to lose weight eat less and move more. Slimming world have a vested interest in telling you stuff that favours them.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I could have written something "similar" to this about a year ago.

While I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, I did wonder ... why am I not losing weight even though I am certain I am doing all the right things? I was going to the gym 3-4 times a week, I cut down on what I was eating but those scales and even the tape measure were NOT budging.

It's not until I got myself some digital scales and weighed every.single.damn.thing that things started to happen. I also logged everything and it wasn't until I was logging things and weighing things that I started to realise that I was overeating and was drastically underestimating what I was eating.

Now I am losing steadily at 1500 calories a day eating what I like but in moderation. When I looked to see how much I was eating before, I was eating around maintenance hence no weight loss.

You have to weigh and log everything. You probably thing that those 10 extra grams of this and 20 extra grams of that isn't going to make any difference but it sure does! I thought having an extra tortilla wrap with chicken and 15g of cheddar cheese wasn't going to knock me over the edge but just one of those was clocking in at ~300 calories - enough to not see any results!

Woot woot, good job! Thanks for sharing this, I hope @julielachtay takes it to heart.

So much good advice here, everyone!
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm now on Slimming World so not calorie counting. I volunteer for a food and nutrition charity and every one of their dieticians has told me counting calories is out dated and they no longer advise it. I'm beyond confused,

Huh? Do they charge lots of money for you to lose weight? If so, they are quacks. If not, they are quacks.

Based on a quick look at their site, they charge £4.95 a week for this "advice." Of course they're going to tell people not to count calories -- every fish that escapes their net costs them a fiver.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

first of all calorie counting does work...i also lost 90 pound since i started counting last year.

Now keep in mind that like doctors prescribing certain brand pills, dietitians also can be paid ( bonuses) by companies to promote their "products". Is it good and ethical?...no not to me, but still it happens.

Another thing is, why ( and the way you write it down is like you believe the dietitians) did you join a calorie counting site?

and for your weight loss my only advice is, what worked for me.
    Weighing ALL my solid food and a food scale and start counting.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

They told you that because their pre-packaged food counts the calories for you. They don't want you to know you can do it for yourself because then you wouldn't be paying them all that money.

Unless you want to eat their food for the rest of your life, you really are better off counting calories (weighing solids, measuring liquids) and teaching yourself how to eat healthily and sustainably.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my 'eating intuitively' got me to 250 pounds.... LOLOLOL
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    What the heck is a "food and nutrition charity?"

The only ones I can think of are hunger relief organizations who have more important things to concentrate on than your constant fad dieting.