They say I'm mean??

Options
mzco14
mzco14 Posts: 91 Member
Well I started a new program about 10 days ago. Its really simple. I have 2 protein drinks a day, lean meat, fruit and veggies. Its low carb/ low cal everything. So far its been great and the weight is dropping. I also exercise daily and drink lots of water. So anyway since I started this program I 've had a few people say I'm mean. I really haven't noticed a difference in my behavior. I've always had a zero tolerance for BS. Am I suppose to let you mistreat me and I smile? Heck No. I just thought it was funny.

Replies

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    If you are a straight-shooter, then you'll get the 'mean' card. A lot of people like the roses and sunshine communication - only. Nothing wrong with zero tolerance for the BS!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Who says you are mean? Care to clarify? Voices in your head, people in the street? What's your point?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you're just hangry?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Wait, I thought this was a mean people thread. The OP is the mean person? I am confused. Is it time for gifs?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Wait, I thought this was a mean people thread. The OP is the mean person? I am confused. Is it time for gifs?
    +1
    I haven't come across any mean people threads today, so let's get this started.
    BRB

• Effumandshine
    Effumandshine Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    LOL cute!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hangry

It's a thing

And if your friends are pointing it out then consider eating something delicious and nutritious
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could ask those that are saying that you are mean why they think that?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Straight shooter = mean..

That's me!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i don't subscribe to the "honesty=mean" line of thinking. I am honest, but that doesn't mean I have to be a jerk about it.

As far as the OP - i don't know you, so I'm not sure if your behavior has changed. I do know that it is more difficult to see such changes in ourselves.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I am hungry and I hate all of you! :wink:
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Many people who think they're "straight shooters" are actually mean in reality and don't know it, or worse, just don't care. They dislike the label and can't deal with the fact that they're not as nice as they would like to think. There is a difference between being honest (it's usually accompanied by compassion and understanding), and just being a jerk for the heck of it and calling it "honesty".

If people are saying you're mean now, they've said it in the past, only they didn't say it to your face. The effects of the diet are making it more pronounced, and they can't take it.

I have little tolerance for BS as well, but as I want to be a well-rounded person, have learned to be more patient with others. Sometimes, you have to work on the inside as well as the outside.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I know I always have a bit more trouble at the beginning of a new regime. Perhaps you are a bit snippier than you would normally be, but I'd say after two weeks (so only 4 more days to go!), things seem to even out for me. Sometimes it's hard to tell the tone of voice I am using and perhaps that's happening to you as well. It may not be that you're actually saying anything different from normal, but it may be HOW you're saying it.

Or perhaps they are using your diet as an excuse to read into what you're saying in a way they didn't before. You don't have to let yourself be mistreated, but perhaps it will smooth things over if you tread a bit lightly for the next few days (especially if this is coming from your family).
  • mzco14
    mzco14 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It's mainly people I work with. They want to pile up extra work on me and I wont do it. I've never been a push over. I now have more discipline- not to eat the bagels & pizza at the meetings. I guess change isn't easily accepted but I'm okay with that.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    mzco14 wrote: »
    It's mainly people I work with. They want to pile up extra work on me and I wont do it. I've never been a push over. I now have more discipline- not to eat the bagels & pizza at the meetings. I guess change isn't easily accepted but I'm okay with that.

I don't get the correlation between those two things? This thread is all over the place. I do agree that you're probably just hangry IF you're replacing meals with protein shakes and eating low calorie for your other meals.

Here you go:
    1_Snickers.jpg
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

I don't get the correlation between those two things? This thread is all over the place. I do agree that you're probably just hangry IF you're replacing meals with protein shakes and eating low calorie for your other meals.

Here you go:
    1_Snickers.jpg

Beat me to it.
    Snickers-Cake.jpg
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So anyway since I started this program I 've had a few people say I'm mean.

My brother tried 5:2 intermittent fasting at one stage, had to stop because he realised that on his fasting days he'd be tearing peoples heads off from about 1100 until the end of the day.

I'm the same if I don't eat enough.
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options

oh hell no. people at the office can be straight up lazy *kitten* about everything and will try and push their work on to others. you are not mean for saying no. i do that all the time and i'm a known "tough *kitten*" at work. this one time a coworker asked for my help on a presentation and as i was helping him, he says "ok, so can you have this to me in a couple of hours?" WTF. i gave him a look and said "yeah, nice try. this is your sh** not mine. and you're welcome!". he never pulled that on me again.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    When I am too hungry, or too often hungry, I do get crabby. Often times other people will notice these changes even if you think you're pretty level. That's why the "hangry" term exists: hungry plus angry. See if anyone you trust feels that way and thinks there's been a change.