Feeling weak on keto

Options
Hey to anyone on keto, this is my third week and this week I suddenly feel so weak and I'll , no energy and really bad aches in my legs, any advice on what's going on ?

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Do you know roughly how many calories you're taking in and how much MFP estimates you should take in?
    Usually if doing a ketogenic diet, it is during the first days, to possibly the first week you'll experience sluggishness. At 3 weeks, that shouldn't be the issue.
  • micenspicy1
    micenspicy1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm taking in about 1300 roughly and mfp says I should only be taking 1200 , I'm a vegetarian also so finding it hard at the moment trying to work out my foods to get the right macro ratios
  • micenspicy1
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Do you know roughly how many calories you're taking in and how much MFP estimates you should take in?
    Usually if doing a ketogenic diet, it is during the first days, to possibly the first week you'll experience sluggishness. At 3 weeks, that shouldn't be the issue.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    are you keto adapted yet in this third week? It would be helpful to see your diary.. If you are vegetarian I do not see how you are doing this with needing HF and moderate protein..

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I'm taking in about 1300 roughly and mfp says I should only be taking 1200 , I'm a vegetarian also so finding it hard at the moment trying to work out my foods to get the right macro ratios

You're a keto vegetarian? That doesn't sound like a lot of food options.
    Do you still eat animal products? If not, lack of B-12 could be an issue.
  • micenspicy1
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

You're a keto vegetarian? That doesn't sound like a lot of food options.
    Do you still eat animal products? If not, lack of B-12 could be an issue.

• micenspicy1
    Options
    My typical day so far is a coffee with full cream and coconut oil , lunch cheese string and some quorn meat and macadamia nuts and dinner is usually broccoli and cauliflower with cheddar and butter mixed in and vegetarian sausages or another quorn / tofu product
  • micenspicy1
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm keto adapted yet, I use the urine keto strips and they change to dark pink, please any advice would be helpful
  • RoxieDawn
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The strips really are not that good of a way to track if you are adapted yet. You should know by now..

Bulletproof coffee is all you have for breakfast? String cheese for lunch..

Share your diary. If not, here is some reading: http://www.myhealthwire.com/news/breakthroughs/895

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/articles-submit/louis-jackson/ketogenic-diet-vegetarianism.htm

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GOgxLJy3Txl5hdzBYfUEJlpTggNcoNnPv7pqLGya1h0/edit?pli=1
  • micenspicy1
    Options
    How do I share my diary I'm new to mfp and new to
    gia07 wrote: »
    The strips really are not that good of a way to track if you are adapted yet. You should know by now..

Bulletproof coffee is all you have for breakfast? String cheese for lunch..

Share your diary.

• micenspicy1
    Options
    How do I share my diary?
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Go to the website, MY HOME, SETTINGS and then DIARY SETTINGS.
  • micenspicy1
    Options
    Are you able to see my diary now I've changed it
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    I am also going to step out and say you may still have the carb flu..I do not know if you ever went through the flu or not, but it can go on for up to a month, but I do not know anything about your journey here.

It will be hard to find keto and vegetarian together.

If not, you may have a severe nutritional depletion such as electrolytes, magnesium and potassium. Eat something salty.. and you could also be dehydrated. Add supplements to your diet.

Eat or drink something that has electrolytes in it and even drink water as well and start to put some balance in place..

• RoxieDawn
    Options
    I bet you felt a little better on Tuesday and Wed when you were in the 40 carb range.. Yesterday and today you have only had 20 carbs...

• micenspicy1
    Options
    Thanks so much for your advice, i will take it on board and visit the health store tommorrow for some supplements
  • micenspicy1
    Options
    Yes I did feel better at 40 carbs but I don't think I've had the carb flu so maybe that's what it is
  • micenspicy1
    Options
    Yes I did feel better at 40 carbs but I don't think I've had the carb flu so maybe that's what it is
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    IF you ate dinner tonight already where you had 70 grams of fat in one sitting, and as much protein as listed, this is a lot of fat (cholesterol) to consume at one time...

This diet takes very very very careful planning and timing of your meals.. This is time consuming and even frustrating to say the least..

Use the reports option in MFP and run reports to screen to look for sodium, potassium, cholesterol and other nutrients to see where you need to fix your diet.. And again the fat consumption would have taken me WAY over the top.

I am picking straws here .. so these are just a couple of things I see..
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Up your sodium, potassium and magnesium. Also, drink more water. This is something I wish I knew when I first started and got the dreaded carb flu