Anyone in their late 40s/just over 50?

Options
Enough is enough...I've been carrying these extra 20 pounds around since eight years ago when I was a skinny 42 year old with two kids who kept me running and too busy to think about food, except when it came to feeding them.

In the last few months, 20 extra pounds has turned into 28, and I can't stand the thought of the scale going up instead of down.

I need inspiration from other late 40s/early 50 year old women (and men) that this calorie-counting and increased physical activity combination can work even if you are over 40...I know intellectually it can, of course, but am terrified that having a kitchen full of carbs for my two children (both in growth spurts every few months, it seems) will continue to tempt me, instead of the cut up veggies/fruit that I know I should be eating instead.

Any positive thoughts/energy welcome! Thanks so much. Look forward to sharing my success with yours!

Replies

• Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and have 2 teenagers in the house. Instead of keeping junk food around, I have them eating healthy too:laugh: They seem perfectly happy with lots of fruits (and smoothies), hummus, boiled eggs, pistachios, yogurt, etc. We still have pizza, it is just made with whole wheat crust and piled high with veggies and a lot less cheese.

There is no way I could succeed if my house had junk food in it. I have zero will power and if it is there I will come.

I have a lot more to lose than 20 pounds but the past few weeks have been pretty easy weight loss. I was worried because of the myth that "older" women can't lose weight. No excuses for me this time around (I lost 60+ pounds a few years ago and idiotically gained it all back plus). I am going to lose my weight before I turn 50! No excuses for me this time around.
  • JudieJudes
    JudieJudes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am a young 49 year old - always happy to accept MFP Friend requests :flowerforyou:
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    I've been dealing with a triple whammy (Age, medically induced early menopause & Tamoxifen) for the last few years. Highest weight was 170, got down to 130. Diagnosed with cancer and pretty much spent a year on the couch (allergic to the chemo drugs). Post cancer weight 145 and fairly non-existent muscle when all was said and done. Started getting serious about my health/weight/strength in January 2013. Currently 130lbs and lifting weights 3 x a week.

So, can it work you ask? Absolutely!
  • pollypolo258
    Options
    I was 50 last month and like you I am looking for inspiration/encouragement. Lost a lot of weight over 18 months but recently the pounds have crept back on - I know because my jeans are getting tight! I'll get on the scales tomorrow (I don't keep them in the house) and set a target.

As a extra incentive my daughter is getting married next May and I want to feel at my best. :smile:
  • LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hi! Feel free to add me as a friend. I am going on 52 and I too have struggled with my weight. It just crept up, but losing weight is within reach just don't give up. I changed my eating habits more fruits, vegetables basically eating a cleaner diet and exercising and i have lost weight. I will provide motivation and support so let's do this!!
    Lisa:smile:
  • LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Wow! Awesome for you!!
    Lisa:smile:
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I can use a few more friends closer to my own age. My goals are different but i can still relate and have learned so much in the last few years about eating that has helped me a lot as well as my family. Good Luck
  • sheripamela
    sheripamela Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Over 50 and over 80 lbs gone
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Yeah, cause you wouldn't want to hear it from someone who was 57. And doing it on 2 artificial hips and an artificial knee. And kicking the crap out of kids one quarter his age in the gym.

Would you??

:wink:
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It works, even in your late 40s. I am 49. I gained 20 pounds in nursing school almost 20 years ago. After the birth of my youngest two children in my 30s I gained another 10. In my forties I gradually gained 20 more. 2 years ago I took a night shift job and discovered that I was never hungry at night. Been a day shifter all my life and my body did not expect to be fed in the middle of the night. I quickly lost 10 pounds. At that time my coworkers began a biggest loser contest. This and the loss of 10 pounds inspired me to increase my physical activity and watch what I was eating to lose weight. I lost another 17 pounds and have been able to keep it off. I would still like to lose 20 pounds more but I am so happy with the way I look and feel now. I am so much more toned than I have ever been in my life. People tell me I look alot younger than I am and I can do things physically that alot of younger friends cannot. And all I did was reduce the amount of food I ate and work out more.My metabolism has definitely changed. So go for it. You can do it at any age.
  • andezz99
    andezz99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm 48/M with 2 kids 19 and 16. I've been working out and dieting for just about 2 months and I've lost about 26-27 lbs so far. I started at 227-228 and weighed in this morning at 199. It's the first time I've been under 200 lbs. in years so I am pretty happy.

My wife is 45 and we are doing this together which makes it easy for us to support our goals which are:

1. Maintain a healthy diet
    2. Exercise daily

It hasn't been easy, we've started and stopped many times. This time we joined a cross-fit gym and attended a nutrition class they offered. Our meals consist of a Paleo only diet, which includes: meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts and eggs. It excludes dairy of all types, packaged foods, grains (bread, cereal, corn), soy, sugar, and alcohol. Is it tough, the first 2 weeks are but after that, I found that my system was craving the healthy food and not the stuff I gave up. We began the period on what's called whole30, very strict for 30 days, no exceptions. We are about 100% Paleo, 90% of the time so we do have the occasional piece of bread or glass of wine but the thing about the diet is that you are not hungry if you follow it. Check out "Paleo" on the web or "whole30" for more info.

We try to get our kids involved a little but that is more difficult, because, they can still eat anything. I've modified the way I prepare meals. If we have hamburgers, we (my wife and I) eat it wrapped in lettuce while the kids have a bun. They have cheese, we have mushrooms or avocado. If I make a steak dinner, I cook them a potato and myself a sweet potato (allowed). It's little modifications here and there.

The other significant part of our weight loss is the exercise. I'm sorry, at our age dieting by itself is not enough. You must move your body in some form. I have worked out at gyms off and on for years. I have a full gym in my garage but the accountability I get at cross-fit pushes me to do my best every day. I walk in the door at 6:30 and out at 7:30 am, sweat dripping all the way home. Every work out is different and intense. My wife and I don't even look at the WOD (work out of the day) before we go in because we don't want to bail out in fear. Today may be running sprints, tomorrow will be heavy lifting but every day is different and a good cross fit gym will modify the workout to your level of expertise ( or lack of). It's not uncommon to see elite athletes working side by side with 40-50 something overweight couch potatoes. Everyone is very encouraging and motivating.

So in summary, it is possible to loose weight and get in shape at our age. I feel great, I can't weight to work out everyday and believe it or not, I love to eat vegetables now. Good luck to you on your journey, you can do it!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I carried my extra 30 pounds around for over twenty years so at least you have a head start on me!!

I'm 53 but determined to keep turning the clock back health-wise. Now back to the weight I was in my 20's and fitness levels probably as good as they have ever been.

Just love the feeling of being fit and strong again. Onwards and upwards to a second childhood.....:laugh:
  • slo2ga
    slo2ga Posts: 1
    Options
    I just joined this site about 10 minutes ago. I'm 49 and 100 pounds over weight. I grew up extremely thin and never had to worry about my weight. Therefore, I never learned to eat properly. So here I am - so disgusted with myself and determined to be a "hot" 50 year old by this time next year!

My crazy job has long hours and I'm surrounded by food! I don't know how to cook - lol - so I guess I have a lot to learn.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • WolfHunter14
    WolfHunter14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and hit the late 40's (middle age spread), same as you I have never learned to eat right and have been gaining too much to fast. This weight sure sneaks up on me if I 'm not paying attention. Lost 15lbs before December 2012 and gained it all back but plus more... Have discovered this is a life changing event and am trying to retrain my brain that lettuce taste good after exercising. LOL
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm 50, feel awesome and think I look pretty awesome, too. In my 40s, as everything changed, I gained 20 pounds and just thought that would be the way it would have to be. Then... I turned 49 and figured I'd give a "Fit at 50" campaign a try. Totally committed, logged my food, started working out for real (I used to love my two dance classes a week and daily dog walks, which probably kept 20 from becoming 30, but...), and stopped making excuses. (Mine were -- my metabolism slowed down, my joints hurt, my hormones are crazy, etc., etc. Then I decided -- so what?)

I am now, 1 1/2 years later, one of the fittest women in my gym, including the majority who are younger than me. I did the Spartan Sprint last weekend and finished in the top 25% of 2100 women with the VAST majority of them much much younger than me. I intend to do the Spartan Super in September. I have stayed in my goal weight range for almost a year, I went down an additional clothing size without losing more weight, and the body fat % keeps creeping down.

It's all possible. You have to just put your mind to it. Easier said than done? Yup. It's not easy. You have to commit to working hard. But it's completely doable. You just have to do it. And it feels great.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I am 52. I joined MFP in November of 2012 and have logged everyday. I have lost 38# and probably have another 20ish to go to be at a healthy weight=but it is about the look to me now. I am 5"4, currently weighing 162. I don't have any kids, live in the Midwest, have an open diary, love to cook, love the Cardinals, and take this new life style pretty serious but not like a science. I eat everything and make challenges to myself and my MFP friends. My workout changes every month. If you think I might work as a friend-send me a note. I could use another good motivator always.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 (will be 48 next month) and have lost 45 pounds since December of last year (26 since joining MFP). The key, I think, is to start thinking differently. Losing the weight and getting in shape requires a life change and the mentality that goes with it.

Determine to change your life (that means what you eat and do on a normal basis) and you WILL lose the weight and keep it off -- and feel YOUNGER! :D
  • robinschwalb
    robinschwalb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and struggling to lose weight as well, it is coming off way too slow.....
  • dogwalk
    dogwalk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I'm a 53 y/o grandmother (4 boys & 3 girls & another one due this winter). I'm just recovering from a foot injury & getting back in the swing of working out 5x week as I am hiking the Grand Canyon in October. Today was my first spin class in about 9 months and I actually survived it! I also do Body Pump 3x a week. Congrats on taking the first step to better health. Friend me if you like