losing weight, but gaining fat...

Options

Replies

• jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    See Mr know it all! Others argree with me!!! I know what I'm talking about! Sorry had to let that out.

OP I would advise, if you are underweight to increase your calorie intake by about 500, see if that works. Check and see what your ideal weight should be and work towards that. Increase your protein rich food and dietary fibre. Maybe you could increase your carbs slightly. Good luck. Let me know how thongs work out! Add me if you like.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Gritty_Gal wrote: »
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    I agree with everyone else. Those BF% calculators are really inaccurate.

As long as you're regularly doing a progressive resistance training program (my favorite: heavy lifting) and eating at least 0.83g of protein per pound of total body weight, then you're doing the best you can when it comes to muscle retention.... assuming that you're not eating at an aggressive calorie deficit, of course.

I'm 5'8" and 120 lb. I keep my calorie count at about 1200 - 1250 a day. And looking at your recommendation of protein intake, it seems that I'm on track with 90-100g. Good to see that I'm doing something right :)

Oh gosh. Please get some help.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Gritty_Gal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Your BMI indicates you are underweight. You should not be trying to lose anymore weight.

That's the thing. I'm not really trying to lose weight. I want to lose more fat. And from what I have read it's hard to lose fat while gaining muscle. If you know of a plan, or literature that you could recommend on the subject I would be happy to look at it.

If you're not trying to lose weight why are you only eating 1200 cals?

I was a little heavier when I started. I've been about 120 lb all my life until I had kids and then had a hard time losing those last 10 lb., so I looked at kept a diary of my food intake and was at about 1500 cals a day. so I figured if I take away about 300 that should help me lose the last 10 lb. At this point, you are right, I should probably go back to 1500.
    You are trying to weigh 110 lbs???? That's a terrible idea.

NO! I lost 10 lb already. I'm happy with my 120 (lol)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Your BMI indicates you are underweight. You should not be trying to lose anymore weight.

That's the thing. I'm not really trying to lose weight. I want to lose more fat. And from what I have read it's hard to lose fat while gaining muscle. If you know of a plan, or literature that you could recommend on the subject I would be happy to look at it.

You barely have fat to lose. You need to go speak to a therapist perhaps. Your thinking is not healthy.

You made me laugh... I come from a family of tall, small-bones and skinny people. It's just genetics for me. I'd like to be more fit and ideally have about 15% of body fat. The weight, at this point, is becoming a secondary things for me, since I'm back to the weight I have been all my life.

In that case, definitely read the link I posted above. It's pretty close to perfect for you.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

I was a little heavier when I started. I've been about 120 lb all my life until I had kids and then had a hard time losing those last 10 lb., so I looked at kept a diary of my food intake and was at about 1500 cals a day. so I figured if I take away about 300 that should help me lose the last 10 lb. At this point, you are right, I should probably go back to 1500.

You should be eating around 2000 calories if you're happy with 120. That should be close to your maintenance.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

You barely have fat to lose. You need to go speak to a therapist perhaps. Your thinking is not healthy.

You made me laugh... I come from a family of tall, small-bones and skinny people. It's just genetics for me. I'd like to be more fit and ideally have about 15% of body fat. The weight, at this point, is becoming a secondary things for me, since I'm back to the weight I have been all my life.

In that case, definitely read the link I posted above. It's pretty close to perfect for you.
    TR0berts wrote: »

Thank you! Great story. And that's exactly what I mean. I appreciate you sharing this with me. I just scanned the story, but I bookmarked it to read through it thoroughly.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options

You should be eating around 2000 calories if you're happy with 120. That should be close to your maintenance.

2000 cals? Now that's crazy! My husband doesn't eat that much, lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

2000 cals? Now that's crazy! My husband doesn't eat that much, lol

The average calorie intake for a woman is 2000 cals so it's not really 'crazy'....
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options
    OK this thread is getting out of hand...

Somehow, from a simple question came suggestions that I should should see a shrink and eat 2000 cals! lol I'm healthy, I feel great, I'm happy and even though I have been counting my calories for the past 3 months, those are the ONLY 3 months in my ENTIRE life that I have ever counted calories or watched what I have eaten or how much.

I know that I have a lot to learn about fitness and nutrition and the right way of approaching fat loss/ muscle gain, but some of the comments make me regret asking the initial question, as they seem more judgmental than constructive criticism / helpful.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

As long as you're regularly doing a progressive resistance training program (my favorite: heavy lifting) and eating at least 0.83g of protein per pound of total body weight, then you're doing the best you can when it comes to muscle retention.... assuming that you're not eating at an aggressive calorie deficit, of course.

I'm 5'8" and 120 lb. I keep my calorie count at about 1200 - 1250 a day. And looking at your recommendation of protein intake, it seems that I'm on track with 90-100g. Good to see that I'm doing something right :)

You aren't eating enough and you're underweight

You need to eat more and gain some weight
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    That's a troll!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

You aren't eating enough and you're underweight

You need to eat more and gain some weight

We tried that. She doesn't believe us.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options
    That's a troll!

who do you mean?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    That's a troll!

who do you mean?

You
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Nobody professes to be stunned that the average woman, and you are taller and more active than average maintains on around 2000

I'm 5'8 and maintain on 2300
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    That type of BF analyzers measure impedance which is affected by your hydration. If you are more hydrated your BF will read lower, and less hydrated BF will read more. So if you drink lots of water and weigh more, your BF may read less.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    my BF analyzer is always saying something different. last week it told me i was 43% bf and then this week it said 36%... yeh i dont trust it
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    you wouldn't be losing weight and gaining fat. everything else aside, it's mathematically possible for your body fat percentage to increase while not actually gaining fat if the weight you lost was in muscle/glycogen etc rather than fat. If your amount of fat stays the same but you've lost weight in something else, the percentage of your weight that is attributed to fat would increase.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options
    SusanUW83 wrote: »
    That type of BF analyzers measure impedance which is affected by your hydration. If you are more hydrated your BF will read lower, and less hydrated BF will read more. So if you drink lots of water and weigh more, your BF may read less.

Thank you! Good to know. It seemed that I was less hydrated this time, than last, so that could have affected the reading.