Options

Replies

• Gritty_Gal
    Gritty_Gal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Gritty_Gal wrote: »
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    I agree with everyone else. Those BF% calculators are really inaccurate.

As long as you're regularly doing a progressive resistance training program (my favorite: heavy lifting) and eating at least 0.83g of protein per pound of total body weight, then you're doing the best you can when it comes to muscle retention.... assuming that you're not eating at an aggressive calorie deficit, of course.

I'm 5'8" and 120 lb. I keep my calorie count at about 1200 - 1250 a day. And looking at your recommendation of protein intake, it seems that I'm on track with 90-100g. Good to see that I'm doing something right :)

You aren't eating enough and you're underweight

You need to eat more and gain some weight

We tried that. She doesn't believe us.

It's not that I don't believe you. But I've been this weight, happy and healthy most of my life. Why would I want to gain weight now? (don't answer that - it's a rhetorical questions)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

As long as you're regularly doing a progressive resistance training program (my favorite: heavy lifting) and eating at least 0.83g of protein per pound of total body weight, then you're doing the best you can when it comes to muscle retention.... assuming that you're not eating at an aggressive calorie deficit, of course.

I'm 5'8" and 120 lb. I keep my calorie count at about 1200 - 1250 a day. And looking at your recommendation of protein intake, it seems that I'm on track with 90-100g. Good to see that I'm doing something right :)

It's not that I don't believe you. But I've been this weight, happy and healthy most of my life. Why would I want to gain weight now? (don't answer that - it's a rhetorical questions)

Because that's the only way how you're going to gain muscle so when you go back to your current weight you lose fat?
  • Addiewe
    Addiewe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food? If not, chances are highly likely you are consuming much more than 1200 cal a day and your husband much more than 2000. Which would make much more sense than this thread, honestly.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Guys, guys!! Hold up one minute!!!! The question was about if the analazes was wrong and if it could be right and not the mental condition of the OP. She doesn't need comments like go talk to someone and things like that. If she's fine with her weight that's good for her. Some people just are slender and tall and that's the way they will stay. My 13 year old son just happens to be one of them. I think its a blessing. Let's just stick to answering the question.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options

Because that's the only way how you're going to gain muscle so when you go back to your current weight you lose fat?

OK. I have to admit, that you are one of few people who pointed out something logical, that makes sense. What I need to figure out is what to eat and when and how much to promote the muscle growth.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    Guys, guys!! Hold up one minute!!!! The question was about if the analazes was wrong and if it could be right and not the mental condition of the OP. She doesn't need comments like go talk to someone and things like that. If she's fine with her weight that's good for her. Some people just are slender and tall and that's the way they will stay. My 13 year old son just happens to be one of them. I think its a blessing. Let's just stick to answering the question.

Thank you!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

People who are underweight on the BMI scale have more to be concerned about than people on the overweight side, and there are not the same exceptions in terms of muscles adding scale weight

Whilst I do not believe in the honesty of this thread, for the benefit of any lurkers this kind of "support" post needs to be challenged. If someone purports to be underweight, has a stated goal of dropping further weight and is consuming low calorie levels of 1200 then they need medical help as there is, absolutely without any shadow of doubt, a mental issue
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to go and assume that she is underestimating her food, because there's just no way she maintains at 1200 calories...
  • ltangodownl
    ltangodownl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Progress by looking in the mirror! Adjusting macros and what'd you eat. I don't go by those measurements.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options

People who are underweight on the BMI scale have more to be concerned about than people on the overweight side, and there are not the same exceptions in terms of muscles adding scale weight

Whilst I do not believe in the honesty of this thread, for the benefit of any lurkers this kind of "support" post needs to be challenged. If someone purports to be underweight, has a stated goal of dropping further weight and is consuming low calorie levels of 1200 then they need medical help as there is, absolutely without any shadow of doubt, a mental issue

I'm not asking you to support me or the changes I'm making in terms of my fitness. My initial question had nothing to do with my weight or your opinion about it, but rather accuracy of the scale measuring body fat %. And as much as you are entitled to your opinion, it does not mean that you are right.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options
    Progress by looking in the mirror! Adjusting macros and what'd you eat. I don't go by those measurements.

And I like what I see in the mirror... so I guess I'll stick to that :)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

I'm not asking you to support me or the changes I'm making in terms of my fitness. My initial question had nothing to do with my weight or your opinion about it, but rather accuracy of the scale measuring body fat %. And as much as you are entitled to your opinion, it does not mean that you are right.

The problem is that the experienced people on this forum are going to say something if they see that anyone is doing something unhealthy. You can ignore their advice, or you can take a step back and reevaluate your goals and situation and learn something from the people that have experience in this area.
  • ltangodownl
    ltangodownl Posts: 19 Member
    Options

And I like what I see in the mirror... so I guess I'll stick to that :)

As long as you hit the gym hard(don't over train),Eat right, track macros, calorie deficit. IIFYM style.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options

The problem is that the experienced people on this forum are going to say something if they see that anyone is doing something unhealthy. You can ignore their advice, or you can take a step back and reevaluate your goals and situation and learn something from the people that have experience in this area.

I love learning from other people's experiences. And I have no problem with constructive criticism and advise. Unfortunately, some people come across as judgmental and not well-meaning. I am very healthy and always have been. My weight is a norm in my family. If that's too low for North American standards, then let it be. It's rather normal to be my size where I come from. I'd like to gain some muscle and be more fit and that means making some changes. And I'm learning. Some from people - like you, who kindly share their experience, some from books and online, and trainers I am working with. Sending me to a shrink - now that's crazy :)
  • galgenstrick
    edited May 2015
    Options

I love learning from other people's experiences. And I have no problem with constructive criticism and advise. Unfortunately, some people come across as judgmental and not well-meaning. I am very healthy and always have been. My weight is a norm in my family. If that's too low for North American standards, then let it be. It's rather normal to be my size where I come from. I'd like to gain some muscle and be more fit and that means making some changes. And I'm learning. Some from people - like you, who kindly share their experience, some from books and online, and trainers I am working with. Sending me to a shrink - now that's crazy :)

I think what people are saying is that you're going to have to get out of your comfort zone and start eating more (a lot more than 1200 calories) to put on any muscle. That just a fact. Then you said 2000 calories is crazy.

That's where the shrink comments came in. Because you were denying that you need to eat 2000+ calories to meet your goals.

As some others have said, it's possible you're eating close to that already and just underestimating how many calories you're actually eating. i.e. you think you're eating 1200 but you're really eating 2000. The fact is, whatever you're doing, you need to be at 2000 or more to gain even a little bit of muscle. I would suggest starting by accurately measuring your calories by weighing your food, and make sure you hit 2000 calories a day. Do that for two weeks and see how your weight and composition change. Don't forget to take before pictures. When you look at yourself in the mirror every day it's hard to see the changes that occur over large time scales, so having a picture to look back on can tell you if you've made good progress towards your goals.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options
    You are right. I don't measure my food, I go by the labels. It's possible that I eat little more than 1200 cals/day, but I doubt that I go as high as 2000.

I agree that in order to gain muscle you need fuel and it come from food. So increase in calories would be logical. But in order to make the increase in cals effective, don't you need to look at your macros and make sure you are hitting the g. required for the best results? I'm a very methodical person and I need a solid plan before I do anything. I've worked with a trainer before I started this journey (about 3 months ago) to get me started. Maybe it's time I sit down with her again to reevaluate my process and come up with a new plan.

PS. I still think 2000 cals is crazy. :) My hubby is on 1800 (and he measures his food) and within the last year he got very fit and muscular. I'm envious of his 6-pack.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    My son has the same problem, he looks really thin, as if he as an eating disorder but he is fine. Doctors say he has a really high metabolism. He has been like that since he was three, he's now 13 and eats like a horse. OP I advise you get a food scales to see how much you are eating to get the accurate calories of the meal you are eating. Don't eat at a deficit anymore. Possibly increase by 500 see if that is ok!!
  • galgenstrick
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You are right. I don't measure my food, I go by the labels. It's possible that I eat little more than 1200 cals/day, but I doubt that I go as high as 2000.

I agree that in order to gain muscle you need fuel and it come from food. So increase in calories would be logical. But in order to make the increase in cals effective, don't you need to look at your macros and make sure you are hitting the g. required for the best results? I'm a very methodical person and I need a solid plan before I do anything. I've worked with a trainer before I started this journey (about 3 months ago) to get me started. Maybe it's time I sit down with her again to reevaluate my process and come up with a new plan.

PS. I still think 2000 cals is crazy. :) My hubby is on 1800 (and he measures his food) and within the last year he got very fit and muscular. I'm envious of his 6-pack.

If you're only looking at labels and not weighing your food the you can easily be around 1800-2000 calories/day. It's not crazy, you're just eating more than you think.

1800 calories is reasonable for some men losing weight, but if he wasn't weighing his food either then he was probably eating more than 1800... If he got fit and muscular, that would from losing the fat covering his muscle. Also, men beginning a weight program have an easier time gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time because they generally have higher testosterone than women.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I just want to point out to those who are recommending professional help and seem to be disturbed by her weight that OP is literally less than 2.5 lb underweight. Also, she stated that she is trying to lower her body fat%, not lose weight.

The healthy BMI range is 18.5-25. No one would bat an eye if she were 25.3. ( Editing to clarify: I am not implying there is a 1 to 1 correlation between overweight and underweight risk, though I realize my wording made it seem that way. My point is that 0.3 BMI is insignificant. It is the equivalent of a day's food or a bottle of water)

OP, sounds like you are doing just about everything right, and the bf measurement was off on one or both of your weigh ins. It is probably a good idea to try to gradually get up to 18.5 BMI, but it's not urgent; take your time and do it healthfully.

I would recommend upping your calories to at least 1800 to build muscle, and 2000+ is probably more reasonable than you think. You said you never counted calories before 3 months ago so it's very possible that you need more than you think to maintain. I thought I ate about 1700 calories a day to maintain, but now that I am tracking, I realize it's more like 2300 (5'9" 150 lb) and at 1700 I lose weight. To put on muscle, I need over 2500 calories per day.

It takes a caloric surplus to gain muscle, and even if you overdo it a bit at first you can always cut back if you find yourself gaining too much fat.

Good luck with your goal.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options
    I ment to say that he weighs his food. Has been doing that for a year now. And yes... it seems that men have easier time getting fit than women. Maybe it's time for me to weigh my food too :) Just to see where I'm really at ...