"Just Fit it in to your Daily Allowance"

Options

Replies

• North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    MFP has me at 1220.
    I set my weight loss goal at 1 pound per week and I have been losing about that on average. I exercise and eat back the calories. On the weekends I go over because I don't exercise as much and I find it impossible to stay at or under 1220.
    You can look at my diary if you'd like to- I do manage to fit in some treats!
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I think the scooby something or other tool is better if I'm honest, rather than the mfp one
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    kamber13 wrote: »
    I'm wondering now how MFP calculates a person's daily caloric intake. Because I'm 5'6", stated that I was moderately active (mostly sedentary)... MFP advised I should eat 1,000 calories.

With this allotment, I eat 2-3 meals a day with 2-3 snacks a day and still have 2-300 calories to spare.

I'm completely satiated eating:
    Breakfast: 3 egg white scramble with 1c spinach (pepper+garlic powder) 58 calories
    Snack: clementine and 1c watermelon 80 calories
    Lunch: Skinless chicken thigh over saute spinach, sauerkraut, and kimchi 228 calories
    Snack: 2c air popped popcorn 61 calories
    Dinner: mayo-less tuna salad with red onion, green apple, pickle, and mustard 115 calories
    Snack: 1/4c chocolate pudding 50 calories

I also drink 3 quarts water daily.

TOTAL: 592 calories....

I'm not a big workout fan, but I do exercise at home which allows me another 100-200 calories extra according MFP.

I really hope you figure out how to feel full and still get those special treats in!

That is an error on their part...known bug as MFP does not give under 1200 for women...I would reset goals on the computer and see what it gives you....
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I get 1280. 1420tdee. I don't exercise much, just walk and use a fitbit. I eat back the exercise calories usually. I probably average around 1350 cal per day. set for 1/2pd loss per week.
    I don't really eat breakfast, never have, just coffee.
    lunch is salad with ham or chicken and veggies maybe some cheese or avocado. pb &jelly sandwich, ham/cheese sandwich. etc..
    dinner is anything from cheese burgers, meatloaf, chicken stir-fry, but I load up on my sides of veggies...broccoli, snap peas, sweet potato, carrots,etc.
    I usually have something left (esp. if I walked) for a evening snack. bit o honey, fun size snicker.
    I also do take out occasionally and get it to fit in my calorie allowance. When I do go over I make sure to walk more the next day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering now how MFP calculates a person's daily caloric intake. Because I'm 5'6", stated that I was moderately active (mostly sedentary)... MFP advised I should eat 1,000 calories.

With this allotment, I eat 2-3 meals a day with 2-3 snacks a day and still have 2-300 calories to spare.

Breakfast: 3 egg white scramble with 1c spinach (pepper+garlic powder) 58 calories
    Lunch: Skinless chicken thigh over saute spinach, sauerkraut, and kimchi 228 calories
    Dinner: mayo-less tuna salad with red onion, green apple, pickle, and mustard 115 calories

I'm not a big workout fan, but I do exercise at home which allows me another 100-200 calories extra according MFP.

I really hope you figure out how to feel full and still get those special treats in!

Eh... doubtful. Plus a clementine and 1c watermelon is probably closer to 120-150 calories, honestly. And 250 calories just for a chicken thigh probably (two drumsticks is typically around that)... just saying.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

@kamber13 - That's a bug. It is not supposed to give women less than 1200 calories (it's in the FAQ). Try resetting your calorie goal from a computer.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I did not read all the replies but can sympathize with the op. I am 5'2" and mfp gives me 1250 to lose .5 pounds a week at "sedentary". That is hard but it's working. I usually eat back some exercise calories and end up around 1400/day but I feel like I HAVE to exercise every day or at least walk.

It has taken me a long time to add fats to my diet because of the low volume and high calories issue but adding fats is helping with hunger and satiety.

I'm saving 150 calories for before bed every day for a snack. Usually something sweet. You do have to think about calories and the timing of them very carefully when you have little to work with.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    People on 1200 calories generally don't have that much to lose. I only need to lose 10 pounds, and because I'm at 146 it won't come off with a higher calorie count. I could not do it every day without eating back some of those calories after exercise. I do have small treats, but only after a day of 8-mile hiking, for example. I have to be super diligent if I'm not exercising. And I don't stress out if I go 50 or even 100 calories over. You just have to realize that everyone is in a different "program" and their advice may not work for you.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    What calculator does MFP use by default that it's constantly telling people to go to 1200, regardless of how tall they are or how much they have to lose?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    when i was on 1200 i was starving and mean and kind of crazy. i worked out to earn more calories. I'm only 5'2.

i still work out and now eat anywhere from 1200-1800/ day and lose around 2 lbs/week (most weeks)

i really do eat whatever i want, and working out gives me the extra calories and the same rate of loss to do so.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    What calculator does MFP use by default that it's constantly telling people to go to 1200, regardless of how tall they are or how much they have to lose?

No idea. It gives me a fairly accurate number when I let it do that, so maybe it's just a lot of light people wanting to put in a 2 pound per week loss.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

I think that mfp has a default minimum net of 1200 calories for women. So whatever the height or weight of someone, if the weight loss goal they choose would put them below 1200, they still get 1200. I am quite overweight with a maintenance of about 2200 without exercise, which I think would be about the same for a lot of people when they first come to the website. If I stick in 2 pounds per week loss, 1200 is what I get (on the assumption 1 pound per week is about 500 cals less per day).

But I never understand why people are so inflexible. If 1200 works and you are losing weight and not hungry and/or crazy stick with it. If 1200 works but you are hungry and crazy try upping it a bit until you find your happy place where you are losing weight but aren't starving and or hangry?? Someone on here often posts "he who eats the most and loses weight wins" and I kind of like that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't get all the people who are on 1200 calories and complain that they are hungry and it doesn't even occur to them to decrease their deficit or something...
  • kelziemba
    kelziemba Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm the OP and just want to say thanks for all the replies.....really interesting points of views to consider.

As I said in my original al post, I'm not hungry on my 1200 calories and it feels good to finally be in control of my eating. Having gained 5 stone in 15 months after going on to a new medication where increased appetite is a side affect, my eating previously was totally out of control.

I was just curious as to how people manage to fit 'treats' into their allowance and now I know.....Some people are able to lose weight eating more calories and also some people exercise to 'earn' more calories which means they can then eat more. I can also see that people are fitting in treats in reasonable portions....so its not like they 'pigging out' on treats and still staying within their allowance.

I'm only 2 weeks in but my plan us to eat more by going to the gym and burning calories and eating back some of that burn.

• BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I often go over 1200 a day. I just see it as a guideline. If I'm under 1200, cool. If not, then the fact that I was trying for it probably means that I'm still at a low enough calorie count to lose weight.

Also, I try to find mini versions of treats. Like a big Costco poppyseed muffin is 669 calories, but the mini poppyseed muffins I got from the grocery store bakery are 100 calories each. I put them in the freezer so they'll keep and eat one every day.
  • kelziemba
    kelziemba Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It's me the OP again. Just wanted to say my Week 2 weigh in results from just now are that I lost 1 and 3/4 pounds, so I'm right on track. My goal this week is to make it to the gym 3 times.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't get all the people who are on 1200 calories and complain that they are hungry and it doesn't even occur to them to decrease their deficit or something...

Well, I'm sure they're afraid that if they do, they'll stop losing weight. I mean I doubt it's that people are stump-dumb or anything. ;) Sure it's occurred to them to eat more, they just fear they will stop losing (or will gain).

It can help to gradually increase. When weight loss stops for a period of time, then go down a hair from there and you have hopefully found your sweet spot. It can take some tweaking but I think many people find that they can eat more than they thought they could and still lose weight. 1200 has been the conventional wisdom for decades (my very first diet in 1978 was a 1200-calorie one; all the "diet books" stated this and never seemed to make age, height, etc. distinctions...how could EVERY single woman need exactly 1200 calories in order to lose weight, you know?) and even to this day, "1200" is the magical "do not go below" number, yet it also magically seems to be the one MFP defaults to after a certain point. I weigh 191 pounds, for God's sake, and MFP has me at 1200 for a 2-lb.-per-week loss. I know for a fact that it doesn't come out to exactly that, why would it? (For the record, I eat more and go for a slower loss. It works out better for me.)

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    kelziemba wrote: »
    It's me the OP again. Just wanted to say my Week 2 weigh in results from just now are that I lost 1 and 3/4 pounds, so I'm right on track. My goal this week is to make it to the gym 3 times.

Congratulations! Nice loss!

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I know different things work for different people, but I said "screw it" to MFP's recommendations for daily calories, figured out what my maintenance calories would be for my goal weight, rounded down to the nearest hundred, and changed my daily goal to that. I'm eating 2,100 a day and still losing, and I've already figured out what I can eat while maintaining, so that's a bonus.