Reasons your weekends fail

Options

Replies

• astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at how many people said they have a drinking problem. It makes me glad I don't drink. My weekend problem is that I can snack at any time. I don't usually go over my calories, but it is more of a struggle on weekends. Except for the fact that I also have more time to exercise.

Nobody said they have a drinking problem. Do you just assume that everyone who drinks has a drinking problem because you don't drink?

People are answering the question of why their weekend failed by saying it is due to alcohol. That sounds like a problem to me.

The issue is that calling it a "drinking problem" is a poor choice of words, since the connotation with those words means someone is alcoholic, or close to being one. I can't drink now because of medication I am on, but I certainly enjoy having a couple of beers or glasses of wine on the weekends. And I don't drink light beer, but usually stronger IPAs or Imperial Stouts that have between 200-300 calories each. While it's not a problem for me, it does mean I have to cut more food if I wanted to stay at deficit. It's a sacrifice I am willing to make, since I enjoy tasting new beers. When my meds are done, I'll be definitely going back to having a couple beers. If it's something people enjoy and isn't a real drinking problem, then there is no problem. They just need to fit the calories, work out more, or create a slightly larger deficit during the week.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I think by drinking problem, TimothyFish meant - the poor planning around wanting to have a drink and not fitting in calories around it and letting that be the culprit for going over.

he is free to clarify ..

however, saying that people have a drinking problem is not quite the same as saying people are not planning correctly.

and that particular poster has a history of making ludicrous claims...
  • josiereside1
    josiereside1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm... thought I posted here but perhaps I did not hit enter?? My problem with weekends is that I don't always have control of the food, don't have the app on my phone to track and booze! Not a drinking problem just socialize a lot and alcohol is a part of that!
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think by drinking problem, TimothyFish meant - the poor planning around wanting to have a drink and not fitting in calories around it and letting that be the culprit for going over.

Then he should say that. Words have meaning and from his 2nd response I suspect he was being just as condescending and judgmental as it sounded.
  • icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Le sigh. Another weekend full of eating whatever I want! Ugh! I did it AGAIN. I seriously need to get this under control so I can stop un-doing all the progress I make during the week! Friday night was 1.5 bacardi rum/diets and shared a huge appetizer sampler and an amazing quesadilla with my bestie. Saturday started out great with eggs and greek yogurt w/blackberries...then Thai food happened in the evening. Along with cotton candy ice cream sandwiches! Then Sunday my baby wasn't feeling well so it was a lounge-y day of Netflix and pizza, garlic knots, brownies and of course.... more cotton candy ice cream sandwiches. Back at it today.....I seriously need a better plan for next weekend!
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    To make this thing work is to make weekdays and weekends the same. What you do on a weekday, do on a weekend. If you wouldn't have a beer when you get home from work (which I do), don't do it on weekends. If you plan ahead what you'll eat on weekdays, do it on weekends. The weekends shouldn't be an excuse to "relax".

But in a different respect, there should be room in every day for things you like. I eat a structured breakfast/lunch each day so I can fit in ice cream, beer and popcorn with butter later on. And if I work out after work, I can usually have 2 beers. We typically have an idea what we will do on weekends by Thursday. If I know that Friday night we will be doing X, Y & Z, I plan those into my day so I don't go over. It's a total mind set. Some days I really don't care and will go over then the next day get right back on...

Totally disagree with you. I think it makes a lot more sense to just average across the week, and give yourself the flexibility that is based on an understanding that not all days are the same. The weekends arent an "excuse" for anything. Relaxing is a healthy part of any life and I don't need any excuse at all to do it, on a weekend or otherwise.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem. I eat the same on the weekends as I do the rest of the week.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    yep... wine sends me over most weekends. But I am okay with it... I sure as heck am not giving up the two days I allow myself alcohol...
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Just like work, people are looking to "relax" on their eating plans on the weekends.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

^ This- it is a mental thing for me. I lift Mon-Fri add a couple of cardio sessions in there- work,kids,ball,church,gym-ACK! So- when the weekend comes it is let's have fun-relax and play! I deserve a break! I usually don't go over calories much- especially if I am am on maintenance- but my macros are a hot mess. My calories are mostly fats and carbs- I too am trying to get a handle on it.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    sandryc79 wrote: »

Then he should say that. Words have meaning and from his 2nd response I suspect he was being just as condescending and judgmental as it sounded.

If anyone must know, I thought the play on words would be comical. I wasn’t expecting it to be a touchy issue with people.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    I'm surprised at how many people said they have a drinking problem. It makes me glad I don't drink. My weekend problem is that I can snack at any time. I don't usually go over my calories, but it is more of a struggle on weekends. Except for the fact that I also have more time to exercise.

Nobody said they have a drinking problem. Do you just assume that everyone who drinks has a drinking problem because you don't drink?

People are answering the question of why their weekend failed by saying it is due to alcohol. That sounds like a problem to me.

Actually, my weekends never fail and I'm ripped like Jesus.

But alcohol has a lot of empty calories, and I love craft cocktails. Some of them could have up to 800 calories in them, so it's easy to see how even one can blow a huge hole in a daily calorie allotment. Whatever though... that's why I average across the week if I have to.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

If anyone must know, I thought the play on words would be comical. I wasn’t expecting it to be a touchy issue with people.

You should think about having more respect for people in recovery. Nothing playful about that play on words, to be honest. Alcoholism isn't a laughing matter.

• likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Actually, my weekends never fail and I'm ripped like Jesus.

But alcohol has a lot of empty calories, and I love craft cocktails. Some of them could have up to 800 calories in them, so it's easy to see how even one can blow a huge hole in a daily calorie allotment. Whatever though... that's why I average across the week if I have to.

omg...I'm laughing way too loud at the office...
  • ndj1979
    Options

so you thought that accusing people of having a drinking problem was humorous? Yea, total fail. And no where in your post did you try and insinuate that with any kind of smiley face or other indication that you were joking around...

words have meaning..

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've found that when I'm trying to lose weight I need to pretty much abstain from alcohol altogether. It's easier for me, as I'm married and we don't usually go out. Must be soooo hard for anyone who socializes with friends, where alcohol is usually a fun part of it. I really miss being able to have a glass of wine or two with dinner -- any day of the week -- but in addition to the calories in the wine, it lowers my willpower to eat within my calories. So it's the first thing to go until I am on maintenance.
  • ndj1979
    Options

^ I am re quoting this because when you had a chance to clarify you never mentioned that you were just joking around..

so yea, you tried to insinuate that and now that you got called on it by multiple people you are trying to back peddle out of it but saying you were just "joking"...sure
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I've found that when I'm trying to lose weight I need to pretty much abstain from alcohol altogether. It's easier for me, as I'm married and we don't usually go out. Must be soooo hard for anyone who socializes with friends, where alcohol is usually a fun part of it. I really miss being able to have a glass of wine or two with dinner -- any day of the week -- but in addition to the calories in the wine, it lowers my willpower to eat within my calories. So it's the first thing to go until I am on maintenance.

Believe me...it is lol...especially the aftermath, when you have no idea, how you ended up in that Falafel Place at 9AM. Alcohol (especially when paired with lot's of dancing) makes me super hungry...It's easy for me to have a few (too many) longdrinks with a couple of beers in between and then go to the Dönershop for fries and Falafel as breakfast...

BUT, I create kind of big deficites during the week, so I still lose weight (and I dance all night when I go out)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

You should think about having more respect for people in recovery. Nothing playful about that play on words, to be honest. Alcoholism isn't a laughing matter.

I didn't call anyone an alcoholic. I simply said that people were saying that they had a drinking problem, which, technically, is true.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I didn't call anyone an alcoholic. I simply said that people were saying that they had a drinking problem, which, technically, is true.

so now you are saying that you were not joking and that you meant what you said????

No one said that they had a drinking problem. People said that they like to have some drinks on the weekend, which leads them to be over on calories. You then got all judgmental and said people have a drinking problem. Social drinking on the weekend does not equal a drinking problem, that is just ridiculous, and you know it
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Can you please take this argument offline? It is not helpful. I understand that TimothyFish meant "problem staying within your calories when you drink alcohol" and not drinking problem as in alcoholism. Yes, he should have worded that differently. But he did clarify what he meant. People on these forums need to be more respectful of each other overall. We are supposed to be here to SUPPORT and HELP each other.