Reasons your weekends fail

Options

Replies

• Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I eat out most weekends, so I'm usually over calories Saturdays and sometimes Sundays as well. Usually at maintenance or a tad above.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yup, alcohol. Monday through Thursday are alcohol free then it's a free for all. Drinks while bowling, drinks with yardwork, etc.

I don't see it as a problem because I don't believe I'm physically dependent. It's just a fun part of most weekends.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I don't have trouble unless we have to do something with the inlaws. Home cooked or restaurant, all the food they like is greasy and nasty and I end up feeling sick. They don't either make healthy options nor consent to go places that have them. Next time I will "get sick" and "not be able to go" so that I don't have to feel like barfing for the next 12 hours.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    So you're intermittent fasting?

You could eat 200 less than maintenance Mon, Wed, Fri, 500 on Tues and Thurs then have maintainence plus 300 on Saturday and Sunday

so no fail

My weekends don't fail because I average across the week

I guess she's one of those folks that does what works best for them. Don't see how that's a fail.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Enjoying the weekends with family and friends and going out and just not making the better decisions that I make during the week. I try to keep my weekdays under calorie goal so I have room for going over on the weekends, but it is defintely hard!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Can you please take this argument offline? It is not helpful. I understand that TimothyFish meant "problem staying within your calories when you drink alcohol" and not drinking problem as in alcoholism. Yes, he should have worded that differently. But he did clarify what he meant. People on these forums need to be more respectful of each other overall. We are supposed to be here to SUPPORT and HELP each other.

actually, he did not.

he said people have a drinking problem
    then he said he was joking
    and then he went back and said that people have a drinking problem
    then he tried to say that people admitted that they have drinking problem, which no one did

he is more than welcome to retract it and issue an apology at any time.

I don't see how it is supportive to tell people that they have a drinking problem because they had some drinks on the weekend and went over on calories.
  • Altagracia220
    Options
    sandryc79 wrote: »
    I think by drinking problem, TimothyFish meant - the poor planning around wanting to have a drink and not fitting in calories around it and letting that be the culprit for going over.

Then he should say that. Words have meaning and from his 2nd response I suspect he was being just as condescending and judgmental as it sounded.

If anyone must know, I thought the play on words would be comical. I wasn’t expecting it to be a touchy issue with people.

You should think about having more respect for people in recovery. Nothing playful about that play on words, to be honest. Alcoholism isn't a laughing matter.

The internet isn't for the faint of heart.
  • rocknroll667
    rocknroll667 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    jeesh as you're responding to this stuff, MFP allows other responses before the page refreshes. ya'll are too quick.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    millzy64 wrote: »
    I'm with Hardcore and Monkey. Alcohol. The stupid thing is I get a ton of exercise on the weekend but I wind up over eating and over drinking it all away. I'm pretty much in the same boat though. During the work week I plan my meals out each day and know exactly what I'm eating. I really need to do the same on the weekends.

^This^
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I don't plan my weekends like the weekdays.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm surprised at how many people said they have a drinking problem. It makes me glad I don't drink. My weekend problem is that I can snack at any time. I don't usually go over my calories, but it is more of a struggle on weekends. Except for the fact that I also have more time to exercise.

You might be surprised, but I for one am happy to be surrounded by my booze guzzling compatriots! At least we're in good company.

P.S. Over indulging on the weekends does not equal a "drinking problem"
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    My weekends used to fail because I want more on the weekend - more food, more alcohol, more everything.

When I faced the fact that this was not likely to change, I changed my diet. Now I try to keep my daily calories low during the week (around 1300) so I can have higher calorie days (around 2000) on the weekend and still average out at a deficit. Life for me is so much more enjoyable this way.
  • Altagracia220
    Options
    I don't know if I'd say my weekends fail, but somehow I always end up with plans to go out to eat with friends or family and when I do I always go all out and my excuse is I never get to go out...which is obvs not true. haha

I'm not really hard on myself mentally, but I always try to eat less then my daily calorie allotment for the week if I do go overboard. I'll also avoid eating my exercise calories back. I really have to crack down on this bad habit and learn to eat in moderation when it comes to eating and drinking out.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at how many people said they have a drinking problem. It makes me glad I don't drink. My weekend problem is that I can snack at any time. I don't usually go over my calories, but it is more of a struggle on weekends. Except for the fact that I also have more time to exercise.

Nobody said they have a drinking problem. Do you just assume that everyone who drinks has a drinking problem because you don't drink?

People are answering the question of why their weekend failed by saying it is due to alcohol. That sounds like a problem to me.

Sounds more like a diet problem. You over indulge in snack calories, others over indulge in alcohol calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I consume more on weekends...I'm also way more active on weekends. It balances out.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Can you please take this argument offline? It is not helpful. I understand that TimothyFish meant "problem staying within your calories when you drink alcohol" and not drinking problem as in alcoholism. Yes, he should have worded that differently. But he did clarify what he meant. People on these forums need to be more respectful of each other overall. We are supposed to be here to SUPPORT and HELP each other.

Ironic

You get to express your opinion of "the argument" but everyone else should keep their opinions about it offline?
  • rocknroll667
    rocknroll667 Posts: 56 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good strategies here, thx everyone
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    My problem with weekends is/was lack of structure. During the week I have everything planned and timed out very specifically, but on weekends, it's whatever.

Something that helped me was to think of weekends as free - not in terms of calories, but in terms of macros. I just don't worry about hitting my macros on the weekend. I don't stress about protein. I find that if I just eat what I feel like and don't stress over it, I naturally eat a little bit less because I'm not thinking, "Oh, I just had that coke and a cookie, I better have a real dinner now." I just stop at the coke and cookie. Healthy? Probably not. But I eat pretty well during the week and I'd just rather not stress so much. And now that I've been doing this consistently for a few months, I find I naturally eat less anyway. My sister made brownies yesterday and I ate one brownie. ONE BROWNIE. 'Cause I only wanted one brownie. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN???
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I find it's just so much harder to do what I do during the week on the weekends. I have a desk job so it's easy for me to eat good every 2-3 hours and drink all my water because I meal prep. But I only have enough meals to last to Friday. Maybe I should make meal prep 2 days a week. Because on weekends, I never know when I'll be out and about and my willpower stinks when it comes to eating not-so-great foods. I'm normally with my family, so if they want to grab something like donuts (a typical Saturday thing), I will usually give in. Although I was able to eat only 1/2 a cake donut this Saturday. But this past Sunday, I just found myself grazing on yuck foods all day. So I guess for me, it's a combo of reduced willpower and not thorough enough meal planning.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

actually, he did not.

he said people have a drinking problem
    then he said he was joking
    and then he went back and said that people have a drinking problem
    then he tried to say that people admitted that they have drinking problem, which no one did

he is more than welcome to retract it and issue an apology at any time.

I don't see how it is supportive to tell people that they have a drinking problem because they had some drinks on the weekend and went over on calories.

I like how you got flagged for pointing out what was said reinforcing your own statements.

Never change, MFP.