Replies

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »
    I am having a hard time staying under my fat allowance each day. Once I have my peanut or almond butter with my apple for a snack, and any kind of cheese, I am done for the day, it seems. I use almond milk with my coffee, maybe I should go back to fat free milk?

Under IIFYM, fat is a minimum, not a maximum. You shouldn't be trying to stay under it.

you're supposed to stay within your macro goals +/- 5 using IIFYM.

Not necessarily. Protein and fat are minimums. If you go over protein of fat by 10 and it comes at the expense of carbs there's nothing wrong with that.

why even have macros then if you aren't trying to meet them? people set their macros specific to their goals.. that's the whole point of IIFYM. if you're going to decide to frequently go over/under by more than 5g, whats the point?

ETA: or just change your macros.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time staying under my fat allowance each day. Once I have my peanut or almond butter with my apple for a snack, and any kind of cheese, I am done for the day, it seems. I use almond milk with my coffee, maybe I should go back to fat free milk?

Under IIFYM, fat is a minimum, not a maximum. You shouldn't be trying to stay under it.

Not necessarily. Protein and fat are minimums. If you go over protein of fat by 10 and it comes at the expense of carbs there's nothing wrong with that.

why even have macros then if you aren't trying to meet them? people set their macros specific to their goals.. that's the whole point of IIFYM. if you're going to decide to frequently go over/under by more than 5g, whats the point?

IIFYM is not a diet or specific way macros need to be set up. The IIFYM site does have a site to set up macros but it is not limited to that site. Many people on MFP alone will set up their intake and macros on their own based on there preferences and then follow an IIFYM eating style. It doesn't mean that you have to hit the targets exactly or are restricted to a specific buffer. As I said earlier, fat and protein are minimums, carbs are discretionary. Many people will make sure they have protein and fat at least meeting minimums then letting the rest fall where they please while also paying attention to getting in proper micros/vitamins/minerals.

The point of setting up macros and going over on some macros here or there is that we have the ability to do that because targets are minimums. Just because we don't follow a specific buffer does not mean we shouldn't bother to track macronutrients at all.

Agree with the above. By hitting protein and fat as minimums, while ensuring you stay within your calorie target, allows carbs to be the wild card. Rather than worrying about "evil" sugar, if you maintain focus on the ultimate goal of staying within your calorie target, and hitting a minimum target on protein and fat, than your carb consumption no longer matters, and allows you to take an often misguided concern out of the picture. Unless you have a medical concern (diabetes or insulin issues), or are an endurance athlete, who needs to pay more attention to their carb intake.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

IIFYM is not a diet or specific way macros need to be set up. The IIFYM site does have a site to set up macros but it is not limited to that site. Many people on MFP alone will set up their intake and macros on their own based on there preferences and then follow an IIFYM eating style. It doesn't mean that you have to hit the targets exactly or are restricted to a specific buffer. As I said earlier, fat and protein are minimums, carbs are discretionary. Many people will make sure they have protein and fat at least meeting minimums then letting the rest fall where they please while also paying attention to getting in proper micros/vitamins/minerals.

The point of setting up macros and going over on some macros here or there is that we have the ability to do that because targets are minimums. Just because we don't follow a specific buffer does not mean we shouldn't bother to track macronutrients at all.

cosign

Agree with the above. By hitting protein and fat as minimums, while ensuring you stay within your calorie target, allows carbs to be the wild card. Rather than worrying about "evil" sugar, if you maintain focus on the ultimate goal of staying within your calorie target, and hitting a minimum target on protein and fat, than your carb consumption no longer matters, and allows you to take an often misguided concern out of the picture. Unless you have a medical concern (diabetes or insulin issues), or are an endurance athlete, who needs to pay more attention to their carb intake.

cosign
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I do honey for sweetener, I guess that is considered sugar. I took out cookies, cake etc.

This is pretty much the antithesis of IIFYM. There is no reason you can't have those things if you are sticking to your calorie allowance and otherwise meeting your nutritional needs in terms of macros and micros. It is more difficult at a low calorie allowance (like 1200), but by no means impossible.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

I'm interested in starting to focus on macros/IIFYM-do you recommend the IIFYM site to figure out your macros ratios, or did you use some other way to figure out your percentages? (I'm assuming by your post you use/used IIFYM). Currently I'm maintaining and doing some minimal body weight strength training, but I want to bump up the intensity of that during the next few months. I think tracking protein and such would be beneficial as I change my fitness goals.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

I'm interested in starting to focus on macros/IIFYM-do you recommend the IIFYM site to figure out your macros ratios, or did you use some other way to figure out your percentages? (I'm assuming by your post you use/used IIFYM). Currently I'm maintaining and doing some minimal body weight strength training, but I want to bump up the intensity of that during the next few months. I think tracking protein and such would be beneficial as I change my fitness goals.

I follow what would be classified as IIFYM in the sense that most of my day is filled with things that I know are going to give me the most bang for my buck in nutrition. Eggs, egg whites, fruits, some vegetables, peanut butter, different proteins and such. Once I know I'm in the ballpark I start playing around with choices. The majority of my flexibility comes from carbs. But overall it's mostly whole foods with 200 or 300 discretionary calories.

I personally have never even used the IIFYM site. I've never read an article or anything. I did just go over to the site to see how it gives you the numbers and I saw you can choose protein and fat at your desired levels. I did plugged in my number to get TDEE and it was the same as what my goal is I set up on my own.
    I set up my own macros and saw it would have the option for me to do them the same with their calculator.

I set my macros at:
    Protein at .6-.87g per lb of bodyweight
    Fat .4-.45g per lb of bodyweight
    The rest usually goes to carbs. Sometimes more carries over into protein or fat but usually it's not off by much.

I don't see anything wrong with the calculator itself so I wouldn't say don't use it. Keep in mind IIFYM is not really what so many believe it is or what a few that say they follow IIFYM actually end up doing. The issue is when you say IIFYM to someone that doesn't feel certain things should be eaten the take it as we eat whatever we want all day everyday without any consideration to proper nutrition. Some people do actually do that, but they aren't doing it right. Nutrition matters. We don't all fills our days with pure candy, cake and soda like some say we do.

At the end of the day if you put a menu of someone that applies IIFYM right and a person that says they "eat clean", you'll see we eat a lot of the same things. The difference in menus will end up in some kind of dessert or 1 of the meals that they cycled in something else.

You can't really look at my diary because it's empty. I haven't logged in a log time. I still do weigh all my food and portion control I just don't harp on my numbers like I did in the first year.

Thanks!