Did You KNow

Options

Replies

• candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Did you know, in 1967 the then Australian Prime Minister disappeared while swimming in the ocean and was never found. We named a swimming pool after him.

Really?? wow
  • secretsquiral
    secretsquiral Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Did you know, in Melbourne, Australia, it is illegal to wear pink hotpants after midday on a Sunday?
    haha i live in melbourne..your full of it but funny~
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    An interesting TMNT fact since I'm obsessed with ninja turtles: The voice actor who played Raphael in the original TMNT cartoon, now does the voice of Donatello in the 2012 version.

That's pretty cool to me.

Also, in the state of New Jersey it's illegal to teach a dog how to smoke a cigar but you can own an Ostrich without a permit.

Actually cool, lucky guy!

• geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Your smartphone has vastly more computing power than NASA did in the 1960s... Crazy to think they put men on the moon and brought them home safely with computers that aren't even as powerful as a modern graphing calculator.

Not new to me as I have read tons on the Apollo era. Ahead of important events during a mission such as a mid course correction or engine burns to go into or out of orbit, mission control would read up extensive series of numeric codes that would make little sense to most of us, the crew would write these all down, read them back to avoid, correct errors and once done enter them into spacecraft computer. This all involved time, thrust angles and all things physic and mathematic required for the maneuver. It was quite labor intensive. And extremely fascinating.
  • greco16
    greco16 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Did you know e.g. is short for 'exempli gratia'?
  • candykay0605
    Options
    greco16 wrote: »
    Did you know e.g. is short for 'exempli gratia'?

Sure didn't!!
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Did you know that 'slang' means 'short language'?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Did you know, in Melbourne, Australia, it is illegal to wear pink hotpants after midday on a Sunday?
    haha i live in melbourne..your full of it but funny~

Nope, dead serious! Google it! It's an old law that's never been repealed :D Here's an article from last November where (down the bottom) Labor's Martin Foley committed to repealing it (jokingly, but the law does exist) http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/11/17/tips-and-rumours-1253/?wpmp_switcher=mobile
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Did you know: Abraham Lincoln’s son, Robert, was saved from a train accident by Edwin Booth, brother of his father’s killer, John Wilkes Booth.
  • Monkey_Business
    Options
    Did you know: In Disney’s “Fantasia”, the Sorcerer’s name is “Yensid” (Disney backwards.)
  • Monkey_Business
    Options
    This one I had to share: The word pencil comes from a Latin word meaning “small penis.”
  • candykay0605
    Options
    This one I had to share: The word pencil comes from a Latin word meaning “small penis.”
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Did you know that out from 10 people, 5 turns out to be the half?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Did you know that 87% of statistics are made up on the spot?
  • Monkey_Business
    Options
    I see what you did there ........
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    Options
    Did you know that Gingers are the Most intelligent of the Human Species?

• suzreen
    suzreen Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Did you know that Ryan Island on Isle Royale’s Siskiwit Lake is the largest island on the largest lake on the largest island on the largest freshwater lake in the world. (Isle Royale is a US national park, it's an island in the middle of Lake Superior)
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Did you know that when you lose a pound of weight, 87% is exhaled as carbon dioxide? So if you want to lose weight quickly become a heavy breather!
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    Options
    Did You know that the loose skin on the end of your elbow is called the Weenus?
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Guinea fowl will pick a mate for life. If one loses his mate he well wasn't off to look for her. Even if it means his death is eminent.