Can't loose weight due to Thyroidectomy

Options
13»

Replies

• fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    From reading the discussion above it actually sounds like you have the answer to your question anyway. You say; Your meds are supervised by your dr, you more or less know what to eat and how to log it and as an "ex body builder" you know the importance of sport... I think just don't give up and allow your body to adjust to its new form you should be fine
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kattom wrote: »
    Over the past 3 yrs I gained 30lbs. And I have been on synthroid 112mg so hopefully this won't happen to you, but it does happen to most :s
    Do you think you gained weight because of the medication? I am just asking because it seems counterintuitive to me. Ideally, Synthroid helps to restore the balance of T4/T3 again, and with that you should be able to lose weight easier again. I have never stopped losing weight, even with my very underactive thyroid over the past few months, so it seems logical to me that with a normally functioning metabolism and proper T3 levels, the weight loss should be at least the same rate, if not a little more (and easier, due to the normalized metabolism). Note: I am not saying that Synthroid will dramatically speed up my weight loss, of course, and I am not expecting that! Maybe I just misunderstood you though?

• thyroidless74
    thyroidless74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed in 2008 and am now 25 lbs heavier. I am also 40 years old and our metabolism slows down as we get older. I simply cannot eat whatever I want and not track. Once I did start tracking, I lost 13 lbs in a month a half! That was the FIRST time I ever started losing weight since my thyroid was removed. I guess I became too confident and stopped tracking and in a matter of 3 months, I gained it all back. So for me, it's eating. I have to eat very little, around 1,500 calories a day. Never in my life did I have to do this, but thyroidless and 40 years old, I do.

Also, have you had your Free T4 and Free T3 levels checked? You mentioned Armour. Armour has both T4 and T3. I take Tirosint (BIG improvement since I switched from Synthroid to Tirosint, but expensive) and generic Cytomel. T3 is super-important for a proper metabolism.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't have a thyroid. It's harder for me to lose weight than it is for most people. I don't lose as fast. But I can lose. I'm not saying, "I can lose, so you can, too!" but am hoping it offers you some hope.

Keep working with the doctor. Gotta adjust the levels as you go.

Do not compare your weight loss to other people's. It's just discouraging. Focus on YOU and only you.

Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    kattom wrote: »
    Lol I post my food everyday. I am just very frustrated. I don't even know what u r talking about. I ask for help as I wasn't finding it in the other posts. If u want to attack some one or take out some kind of frustrations please do it with someone else as u r wasting your time on me as I am already depressed and u can't make me feel any worse.

@kattom No one is attacking you. You came here seeking advice and that's what everyone is giving you.

If you are logging your food every day, please open your diary.
    OP does not wish to open her diary. She is entitled to her privacy.

It is against the MFP rules to badger people into it.