Gym Etiquette?!

Options

Replies

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    This thread makes me so thankful for my gym...

And even more thankful I don't still go to the one full of *kitten* that I used to use.

+1 I <3 my gym!

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Since the topic is Gym Etiquette, I have an unrelated question for all you gym go-ers. Is it rude to watch Netflix, hulu, etc without ear buds?

For instance, you are the only one in the room and watching an episode of whatever, someone walks in to work out as well and you do not turn your tablet off or put in ear buds.

I wouldn't care because I would just put my ear phones in and not hear anything else.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Since the topic is Gym Etiquette, I have an unrelated question for all you gym go-ers. Is it rude to watch Netflix, hulu, etc without ear buds?

For instance, you are the only one in the room and watching an episode of whatever, someone walks in to work out as well and you do not turn your tablet off or put in ear buds.

Oh hell yes.

• keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Is it rude to say things like "YEAH!" or "GET IT!" when you're doing rows? Repeatedly, with almost every rep?

I'm asking on behalf of the dude next to me the other day.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Is it rude to say things like "YEAH!" or "GET IT!" when you're doing rows? Repeatedly, with almost every rep?

if that is his way of pushing himself to max effort why would you complain. It's like grunting during weight training. Sometimes some lifters just do it.

• dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Oh hell yes.

Agreed. It's one of my pet peeves (not just in the gym but anywhere) when people play their stuff out loud for everyone to hear. I personally don't like working out or walking around with earbuds in (I know I'm in a minority on that but still...) so whoever was playing their stuff out loud would be inflicting it on me without me being able to drown out their noise by plugging myself into my own music as yopeeps suggests.
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

if that is his way of pushing himself to max effort why would you complain. It's like grunting during weight training. Sometimes some lifters just do it.

I would complain because it's annoying as hell. Breathe, grunt, fine. I don't want to hear this guy *kitten* the barbell.

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options

I would complain because it's annoying as hell. Breathe, grunt, fine. I don't want to hear this guy *kitten* the barbell.

I had an older guy next to me doing calf raises while I was benching yesterday morning. He seemed to be very into by the noises he was making. It seemed like a disproportionate amount of what can only be described as moaning for what he was doing. I had earbuds in and could still hear him.

• keithcw_the_first
    Options
    I also saw a guy in a full-face ski mask once. I don't know if that's an etiquette violation. It's definitely a "Hey everybody - look at me!"

And it wasn't one of those altitude trainers either. It was a ski mask.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I also saw a guy in a full-face ski mask once. I don't know if that's an etiquette violation. It's definitely a "Hey everybody - look at me!"

Maybe he was training for bank robbery
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options

You have to pre-measure potential drag caused by the material to make sure you get your timing right, especially if you plan on cutting it close.

• keithcw_the_first
    Options

So this was a functional strength situation?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think I go to the most boring gym on earth. No loud sound effects, nobody staring at each other, nobody leaving sweat puddles on the equipment. Nobody hogging equipment.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

So this was a functional strength situation?

Yea, needs to make sure the mask fits properly and will not impair his field of vision as he is pulling off the heist
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Ok so are you going to say something to the guy or not? That his way of pushing to max effort. Have you ever spotted someone on a max lift? I am there but I am encouraging them to get it up :lol:. Sometimes I scream if you don't I ma let it fall on you so get it. Not too many things bother me in the gym. I stay with ear buds in and people still talk to me during my workouts.

• keithcw_the_first
    Options

Ok so are you going to say something to the guy or not? That his way of pushing to max effort. Have you ever spotted someone on a max lift? I am there but I am encouraging them to get it up :lol:. Sometimes I scream if you don't I ma let it fall on you so get it. Not too many things bother me in the gym. I stay with ear buds in and people still talk to me during my workouts.

Well this all occurred in the past so, no. I'm not going to track him down and ask him if he remembers that one time he was making rough love to the barbell.

I'm with you on the max effort. Sometime you do what you have to, and that may or may not include some energetically delivered encouragement.

So maybe this guy is doing max effort lifts every time I see him, for multiple reps, for multiple exercises. It's not directly impeding me so I'll let him be but I'll definitely make a note of it every time and think, "That dude sucks."
  • yopeeps025
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think I go to the most boring gym on earth. No loud sound effects, nobody staring at each other, nobody leaving sweat puddles on the equipment. Nobody hogging equipment.

Just because you don't see if means it does not happen.

One time around my profile pic one when trying to lose weight during 12 hours a week exercising. One month straight this one woman would always do the same workout. I wasn't not really staring at her but I would always look. I later found out that I was not the only one seeing the progress. I took a hint well she wiggle her butt a little during the bend straight over hamstring stretch. She knew I was looking. She was also looking. Nothing really happened after one encounter when she approach when I was on the elliptical to say.

her: "I see you in here everyday. Whatever you are doing it is working."
    "me: I was lost for words and all I said was thank you with I see the gains you are making too. When you see someone workout everyday, you can almost tell what there goals are so I knew she was cutting weight. IDK from where but she was.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »

I had an older guy next to me doing calf raises while I was benching yesterday morning. He seemed to be very into by the noises he was making. It seemed like a disproportionate amount of what can only be described as moaning for what he was doing. I had earbuds in and could still hear him.

There is a guy in my gym who makes full-on sex noises when he runs. There are no words. I can hear him, with earbuds in, even from the other end of the room.

One day, he got on the treadmill next to me. At first I didn't realize it was him, because he started out at a walk. As soon as the O noise started, I had to stop and leave. I couldn't keep a straight face.