Legs are getting too bulky, tips?

Options
So, I've been running for over 6 months now and I got into cardio/strength home workouts, including squats et cetera. I can now see muscle definition in my arms, stomach and legs but... I know think my upper legs are getting too bulky. It's alright now, but I don't want it to get any worse.

Any ideas/tips on keeping the strength in my legs but preventing them for blowing up like body builder legs? In the meantime, I am interested in stronger arms and sculpting other muscles, but I see plenty of possibilities for that.

And in addition, any tips on macro distribution in order to not lose the muscle I built up, but lose some last bits of excess fat?

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ride a bike for cardio my legs have shrunk to the point I'm considering stopping biking all together but mind you I do about 400 mile a month. Your diet numbers look great so I would say it just takes time. A good friend of mine has naturally muscular legs- she is always fighting to get into pants mind you she is a 0 waist but buys 2 pants which are still skin tight. Personally I think she looks freaking incredible but its in her head their to big! I'm right-lol she will learn to love them..
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    The range of motion for some runners can lead to heavier hamstring muscles. You can work on cutting and defining the smaller muscles and creating a definition between your butt and hamstring muscle. Running doesn't generally result in really heavy quads unless you are doing tons of hills.

When you do your squats, focus on your range of motion. Get low. When you come up squeeze your booty.

Your legs will slim down as you lose weight. For me in see gradual progress...and they are the last place I see final results.

• frendy21
    frendy21 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Well my advise is to do more repetition in order to cut it down. About maintaining the muscles, just keep eating the amount of protein you normally comsume
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Ride a bike for cardio my legs have shrunk to the point I'm considering stopping biking all together but mind you I do about 400 mile a month. Your diet numbers look great so I would say it just takes time.

Ok good to know! I don't have a bike here but we have a home trainer bike, so might try that and see if it makes a difference. Would be nice to change up cardio work outs.

The range of motion for some runners can lead to heavier hamstring muscles. You can work on cutting and defining the smaller muscles and creating a definition between your butt and hamstring muscle. Running doesn't generally result in really heavy quads unless you are doing tons of hills.

When you do your squats, focus on your range of motion. Get low. When you come up squeeze your booty.

Your legs will slim down as you lose weight. For me in see gradual progress...and they are the last place I see final results.

Thanks, yes hamstrings definitely became heavier with me! I don't think my legs are too fat necessarily, it's just really the muscle that's bulking up on my upper legs. Might just be the combination of new muscles plus still some fat making it look bulky, so I will be patient and do my squats :) I thought though that squats also bulk up upper legs or not?

Thanks everyone!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So, I've been running for over 6 months now and I got into cardio/strength home workouts, including squats et cetera. I can now see muscle definition in my arms, stomach and legs but... I know think my upper legs are getting too bulky. It's alright now, but I don't want it to get any worse.

Any ideas/tips on keeping the strength in my legs but preventing them for blowing up like body builder legs? In the meantime, I am interested in stronger arms and sculpting other muscles, but I see plenty of possibilities for that.

And in addition, any tips on macro distribution in order to not lose the muscle I built up, but lose some last bits of excess fat?

If you're thighs are truly blowing-up in size then you can try reducing your overall volume. Perhaps do something like Squats, RDL's, and call it a day. YOu don't need to do a ton of lower-body work to strengthen your legs and maintain athleticism, just good programming and smart exercise selection. Squats work most of your lower body, RDL's will work what Squats don't get as well, such as the middle two hamstring fibers. If you do calf work I would cut that as well since the Squats actually involve your calves and tibialis pretty well. Not that direct calf work affects your thighs, but it will just aid in recovery and run performance.

One thing to consider since it sounds like running is important to you; if you are improving squat strength and not really gaining weight, then you are actually becoming a much more efficient runner. Point being, try not to side-track strength gains too much.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking measurements? What exactly do you mean by "bulky"? Too much definition? Increase in size? Swelling?
  • 89Madeline
    Options
    Have you been taking measurements? What exactly do you mean by "bulky"? Too much definition? Increase in size? Swelling?

Yes, they increased in size. I measured last time in March. First, they were 54.5 cm. I lost weight, 54 cm. And after a couple months of running and still weight lost, again 54.5. I can't measure them now (lost the thingy) but will measure again and I'm pretty sure they increased more.

No, i like the definition (it looks toned) but from my side, you can see the upper legs being really round, like a small bump you know? Hard to explain. Perhaps I should take a pic, lol.
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Squats work most of your lower body, RDL's will work what Squats don't get as well, such as the middle two hamstring fibers. If you do calf work I would cut that as well since the Squats actually involve your calves and tibialis pretty well. Not that direct calf work affects your thighs, but it will just aid in recovery and run performance.

One thing to consider since it sounds like running is important to you; if you are improving squat strength and not really gaining weight, then you are actually becoming a much more efficient runner. Point being, try not to side-track strength gains too much.

Yes, I will probably stick with the squats (they actually toned my stomach nicely as well). And yes, I do think I've become a more efficient runner so that's definitely a plus :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Yes, they increased in size. I measured last time in March. First, they were 54.5 cm. I lost weight, 54 cm. And after a couple months of running and still weight lost, again 54.5. I can't measure them now (lost the thingy) but will measure again and I'm pretty sure they increased more.

No, i like the definition (it looks toned) but from my side, you can see the upper legs being really round, like a small bump you know? Hard to explain. Perhaps I should take a pic, lol.
    Squats work most of your lower body, RDL's will work what Squats don't get as well, such as the middle two hamstring fibers. If you do calf work I would cut that as well since the Squats actually involve your calves and tibialis pretty well. Not that direct calf work affects your thighs, but it will just aid in recovery and run performance.

Yes, I will probably stick with the squats (they actually toned my stomach nicely as well). And yes, I do think I've become a more efficient runner so that's definitely a plus :)

Half a centimeter? Probably just water retention.
  • 89Madeline
    Options

That was months ago, I'll measure again :) It definitely increased, more people pointed it out to me and my jeans are tighter too. Should really get a measurement lint, will update here when I do!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I usually get this problem from eating over maintenance and gaining fat and muscle. Cut time maybe? Nothing feels worse than tight jeans, and being heavier will make you slower if you're doing anything more than short distance sprints, and that's if you have lowered body fat.

Ditch the extra inch!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

That was months ago, I'll measure again :) It definitely increased, more people pointed it out to me and my jeans are tighter too. Should really get a measurement lint, will update here when I do!

Well, you said "after you started running again," which made me think that the change in exercise type may be water retention.

Who is telling you your jeans are tighter? That's kind of personal.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Then your calories are too high.
  • 89Madeline
    Options
    Who is telling you your jeans are tighter? That's kind of personal.

I noticed myself ;) Hm, yeah maybe it's water retention then.
    Then your calories are too high.

Really? Because it doesn't feel like fat, they're just really strong muscles. Well, I did adjust my calorie goal a bit so we'll see. I just don't want to break down too much muscle but was hoping to find some exercises that changes the shape a little, got some good advice for that :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lolz @ "bulky" thighs.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    21.8" is a bulky thigh?

wha?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    21.8" is a bulky thigh?

wha?

mine are 22" (i had to go look at my last measurements). Not my ideal but smaller than they used to be ;) theyll get there eventually. They are looking better than they used to, so i dont complain. ;)

my calves are the bain of my existence. for jeans to fit on my calves, then they are a size too big (or more) on my thighs and hips and waist. I think thats why ive been wearing skirts so much this spring LOL!

and OP, I've no advice. But we all nit pick our bodies, no matter what fitness level we are at.

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You did not accidentally get body builder thighs.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    21.8" is a bulky thigh?

wha?

mine are 22" (i had to go look at my last measurements). Not my ideal but smaller than they used to be ;) theyll get there eventually. They are looking better than they used to, so i dont complain. ;)

my calves are the bain of my existence. for jeans to fit on my calves, then they are a size too big (or more) on my thighs and hips and waist. I think thats why ive been wearing skirts so much this spring LOL!

and OP, I've no advice. But we all nit pick our bodies, no matter what fitness level we are at.

Hola calf/thigh/waist jeans drama. I have only one pair of jeans I have found that fit me everywhere... so I bought 3 pairs.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Any ideas/tips on keeping the strength in my legs but preventing them for blowing up like body builder legs?

um that's pretty easy- don't lift like a body builder.
  • 89Madeline
    Options
    But I don't lift :) I only use 2 kg weights and I do regular squats, without added weight. Or sometimes my 2 kg ones.