Legs are getting too bulky, tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    But I don't lift :) I only use 2 kg weights and I do regular squats, without added weight. Or sometimes my 2 kg ones.

You're missing the point. You don't get bodybuilder legs unless you lift like a bodybuilder. Even then, maybe not. Your 21.8" thighs are far from "bulky" or anything like a bodybuilder's legs. And running isn't making any legs overly muscular. You probably measured in a slightly different spot - it's half a centimeter!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yah my thighs are 22...not bulky. Muscled yes...but not bulky.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    But I don't lift :) I only use 2 kg weights and I do regular squats, without added weight. Or sometimes my 2 kg ones.

You're missing the point. You don't get bodybuilder legs unless you lift like a bodybuilder. Even then, maybe not. Your 21.8" thighs are far from "bulky" or anything like a bodybuilder's legs. And running isn't making any legs overly muscular. You probably measured in a slightly different spot - it's half a centimeter!

nods. this girl.

she gets it.
  • rawstrongchick
    rawstrongchick Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think if you remeasure you will be surprised. I thought I'd put on mass on my thighs (I was actually trying) after three months of lifting and eating like crazy and I'd lost 0.5 inch on each. It's taken another 9 months of really keeping at it and eating practically nothing but protein at a calorie excess to get 3 inches (or 2.5 from starting point) on the very tops of each thigh. I think aesthetics can be very deceptive. As you see more muscle your legs appear to look bigger even if they aren't actually any bigger at all.

That and the fact that as a female who isn't lifting like a body builder and who is eating at a deficit (your profile reads as such) it's going to be practically impossible for your legs to get bigger. I've found it hard enough lifting like a beast and stuffing my face! It may be that your legs have adjusted to your exercise level and from here on in you find they get smaller as the fat strips off.

I'm with the water retention suggestion when it comes to the jeans. It's totally normal when you go hard, change up your routine, or are in certain parts of your cycle (I blow up at ovulation as well as TOM) for your water levels to fluctuate. I always notice it in my thighs as well as my tummy/arms/face/boobs when I've got a spot of water retention and I don't think that's an uncommon situation.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I think if you remeasure you will be surprised. I thought I'd put on mass on my thighs (I was actually trying) after three months of lifting and eating like crazy and I'd lost 0.5 inch on each. It's taken another 9 months of really keeping at it and eating practically nothing but protein at a calorie excess to get 3 inches (or 2.5 from starting point) on the very tops of each thigh. I think aesthetics can be very deceptive. As you see more muscle your legs appear to look bigger even if they aren't actually any bigger at all.

That and the fact that as a female who isn't lifting like a body builder and who is eating at a deficit (your profile reads as such) it's going to be practically impossible for your legs to get bigger. I've found it hard enough lifting like a beast and stuffing my face! It may be that your legs have adjusted to your exercise level and from here on in you find they get smaller as the fat strips off.

I'm with the water retention suggestion when it comes to the jeans. It's totally normal when you go hard, change up your routine, or are in certain parts of your cycle (I blow up at ovulation as well as TOM) for your water levels to fluctuate. I always notice it in my thighs as well as my tummy/arms/face/boobs when I've got a spot of water retention and I don't think that's an uncommon situation.

I love the sound of that!

But yes, first of all, 21.8” is not bulky. In fact, at 22”, I guess I have bulky thighs by your definition. However, since I started lifting, I lost almost 1”, and there’s plenty more fat left to get rid of. Anyway, I’ve no idea why people think it’s so easy to gain muscle, especially without lifting heavy. It really isn’t.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Thanks for this, very insightful! Now I really need to get measuring tape, lol. Maybe it is just water. Maybe it's also exactly because I had no muscle/shape at all, and any shape now comes across as "bulky" lol. Thanks everyone :)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Indeed. there is a great deal of perception at play.

Bulk is very much about SIZE.

if you had nothing- and now you have something- it's easy to feel like they are bulky- they aren't- they are just now actually muscled. And it could be a combination of - oh I feel something there (which I think is awesome) and B. water weight.

But it's geniuninly hard to put on muscle as a woman to get to a HUEAUGE size that's actually bulky. It takes a lot of work. when I was bulking- in 5 months I put on 20 pounds- about 7-8 I would say was muscle?
  • Emilia777
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

if you had nothing- and now you have something- it's easy to feel like they are bulky- they aren't- they are just now actually muscled. And it could be a combination of - oh I feel something there (which I think is awesome) and B. water weight.

But it's geniuninly hard to put on muscle as a woman to get to a HUEAUGE size that's actually bulky. It takes a lot of work. when I was bulking- in 5 months I put on 20 pounds- about 7-8 I would say was muscle?

I can’t wait to do a bulk :heart: . That sounds like some awesome results! May I ask what your surplus was?
  • SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Muscle is beautiful. Don't fight it! You earned it; you worked for it. It gives you speed and strength. If you haven't gained fat and you aren't squatting with heavy weights like a body builder, love those strong thighs!

My daughter did gymnastics for YEARS and while all of the girls had super skinny, wasted-away pencil legs (and loved them/admired each other), my daughter has beautiful definition and curve in her thighs. No, they aren't thin. But they are obviously not FAT, either. You can see her quads when she squats down to play with the dog. I am envious of her muscle.

You won't get much bulkier, likely, with your usual routine. Seriously, love your curves if they are strong and lean.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    SpecialKH wrote: »
    Muscle is beautiful. Don't fight it! You earned it; you worked for it. It gives you speed and strength. If you haven't gained fat and you aren't squatting with heavy weights like a body builder, love those strong thighs!

My daughter did gymnastics for YEARS and while all of the girls had super skinny, wasted-away pencil legs (and loved them/admired each other), my daughter has beautiful definition and curve in her thighs. No, they aren't thin. But they are obviously not FAT, either. You can see her quads when she squats down to play with the dog. I am envious of her muscle.

You won't get much bulkier, likely, with your usual routine. Seriously, love your curves if they are strong and lean.

So if she were squatting "like a body builder," she shouldn't love her thighs?
  • 89Madeline
    Options
    I'm actually amazed by how many are responding to this, lol :) But thanks everyone! I didn't realise "bulky" sounded too negative. I'm fine with it the way it is now, it's just I don't want it to keep going at this rate, because it's a big difference to my torso mostly. But yes, definitely a matter of perception and definitely proud of my muscles! Just don't want to specifically tone one part of my body and neglecting other parts by accident!
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm actually amazed by how many are responding to this, lol :) But thanks everyone! I didn't realise "bulky" sounded too negative. I'm fine with it the way it is now, it's just I don't want it to keep going at this rate, because it's a big difference to my torso mostly. But yes, definitely a matter of perception and definitely proud of my muscles! Just don't want to specifically tone one part of my body and neglecting other parts by accident!

I'd just like to point out that the difference between your torso and thighs could just be genetics and your bodies' natural shape; especially if you've been bigger for a while, or never seen yourself at a healthy weight as an adult. I'm pear shaped, I could get 30lbs below a healthy weight and still have what you would consider "bulky" thighs.

I will say this thread has totally made me feel better about my 24" thighs though, because it seems like the average is around 22", which actually may be feisable for me haha.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

I can’t wait to do a bulk :heart: . That sounds like some awesome results! May I ask what your surplus was?

I think I started around 2500 and by the time I was done I was eating 3000-3200 a day.
    I had a couple of stalls where I thought I was gaining and wasn't- could have been eating more- but meh- it was okay.

To be fair I started heavier as well- so I was eating more across the board but yeah- it's nice for about 2 months- then around month 3 you'll probably have a mental crack and a real heart to heart about why you're making yourself fat and miserable. That's the make or break point LOL. I pushed through to 5 months and saw incredible gains after that- but man- that 3rd month- hard on everyone.
  • 89Madeline
    Options
    I'd just like to point out that the difference between your torso and thighs could just be genetics and your bodies' natural shape; especially if you've been bigger for a while, or never seen yourself at a healthy weight as an adult. I'm pear shaped, I could get 30lbs below a healthy weight and still have what you would consider "bulky" thighs.

I will say this thread has totally made me feel better about my 24" thighs though, because it seems like the average is around 22", which actually may be feisable for me haha.

Yes, you're right! I also have broad shoulders, just the way I was built. But again, just wanted to make sure I wasn't accidentally overtraining anything. And it's true, I gained weight around 18 so never really saw my "true" body until now. And I'm pretty satisfied to be honest :) Feeling better about the thighs now as well, lol :wink:
  • Emilia777
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

I think I started around 2500 and by the time I was done I was eating 3000-3200 a day.
    I had a couple of stalls where I thought I was gaining and wasn't- could have been eating more- but meh- it was okay.

To be fair I started heavier as well- so I was eating more across the board but yeah- it's nice for about 2 months- then around month 3 you'll probably have a mental crack and a real heart to heart about why you're making yourself fat and miserable. That's the make or break point LOL. I pushed through to 5 months and saw incredible gains after that- but man- that 3rd month- hard on everyone.

Thanks so much for the info. I know that there will definitely be times when it will be hard mentally. I’ll keep in mind that the day will come, and that I need to stick it through. I just hope I don’t chicken out by the time I’m at the point when I want to do it (I’m still trying to lean out for now).

OP, glad you’re feeling better about them thighs :smile: .
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Check the gaining section and the women who bulk subforum.... lots of great details in there for when you are ready and or need moral support!
  • Emilia777
    Options
    Check the gaining section and the women who bulk subforum.... lots of great details in there for when you are ready and or need moral support!

I read through that regularly :smile: Thank you!!