Meal Replacement Shakes

Options

Replies

• jazzsax69
    jazzsax69 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have done the shake replacement method before. it works. The key is to reintegrate food back properly and then wean off the shakes and maintain.

I did Optifast about 7 years ago ---- dropped 55 pounds. I was able to keep it all offf --- went from 4 shakes a day to 3 and 1 meal, to 2 and 2 meals, to 1 and 3 meals, and then weaned off. It stayed off until i started travelling for work and started ignoring my calories.

Some people need a drastic method to kick start things and show them that it really is possible to lose a ton of weight, and then keep it off. Those same people (myself included) need alot of encouragement, and NOT alot of being told "you are wrong"

People need to remember --- no persons weight loss journey is identical to absolutely everyone elses. We all have root issues on why we gained weight --- maybe emotional issues, stress, family, portion control, etc. We are all motivated different, and quit/give up differently.

If it works for you --- go for it. Just honestly don't solely do it to lose the weight. Incorporate it as part of a plan to get fit. Add in exercise, portion control for your non shake meals, proper logging and you should do just fine.

I went from barely being able to rollerblade to rollerblading 10 miles a day when I took the weight off ---- that was motivation enough to keep it off, and then start enjoying the cheat meals (chicken wings and beer are my poison!
  • Charisma_Black
    Charisma_Black Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just can't believe the nastiness more than anything to be honest. Very disheartening.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I just can't believe the nastiness more than anything to be honest. Very disheartening.

Not one person has been nasty toward you. Not ONE.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    . From what I've learnt from this forum is that people are very nasty.

Unfortunately very true. I don't understand it either. We come here either asking for or offering opinions and get shredded by people who attack you for it.

You know what I find to be nasty? The constant derogatory comments that those of us who post here regularly are nasty/mean/horrible/trolls/bullies/etc. In every single thread these days. The attempts to denigrate the regular posters here creates a far nastier atmosphere than the comments in this thread have so far.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    So suggesting you develop a plan that will be sustainable for the long term instead of a fad that can lead to you gaining back the weight (and maybe even more) is being nasty?

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=51985208

Uhh no, not even close. Just pointing out the ridiculousness of that claim.
  • Charisma_Black
    Options
    @rivertree69 People need to remember --- no persons weight loss journey is identical to absolutely everyone elses. We all have root issues on why we gained weight --- maybe emotional issues, stress, family, portion control, etc. We are all motivated different, and quit/give up differently.

If it works for you --- go for it. Just honestly don't solely do it to lose the weight. Incorporate it as part of a plan to get fit. Add in exercise, portion control for your non shake meals, proper logging and you should do just fine.

Thank you for this ^ It's so true.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Meal replacements teach you NOTHING on how to actually structure eating habits. They also have one of the highest weight regain. Makes sense because again, it shows you nothing on how to eat correctly once you stop. Unless you're planning to do it for the rest of your life, consider just learning how to portion and limit your calories through actually eating your meals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

super-mario-bros-fireworks-o.gif
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No one has been nasty to you, OP. Disagreeing with something or trying to steer you to a more sustainable plan is not being nasty.

Apparently we should just all pat OP's buts no matter what they're doing.

"Congrats on your loss! Keep up the 800-calorie diet!"

"Totally keep doing that juice cleanse, OP! The hair loss and hemorrhoids are normal! Your body is purging toxins!"

"Shakeology is the GREATEST ever! You'll have your beach body in no time for sure! Bankruptcy isn't so bad!"
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    So suggesting you develop a plan that will be sustainable for the long term instead of a fad that can lead to you gaining back the weight (and maybe even more) is being nasty?

FTR - I think that was meant sarcastically.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

It's only nasty because that's how you choose to interpret the responses.

"Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life." -Walter Anderson
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Lol, I give an opinion (which is statistically correct) and somehow it's being "nasty" to the OP. Not like I haven't had this same conversation with hundreds of other members of gyms asking the same question. It wasn't mean, but actual advice on how you might be able to save yourself some trouble due to the fact that weight regain from replacements are high. It's NOT like I don't have experience since I've been doing this for at least 17 years professionally.
    As I mentioned in another thread, the issue with people who post and get a disagreement tend to take it as a personal attack against them, when intern it's not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

tumblr_likthpcCUa1qhl6oao1_500.gif

because this has become nearly a daily occurrence.
  • jazzsax69
    Options
    LOL. I love how everyone has completely ignored my post.

@ninerbuff you have been doing this 17 years. You know as well as everyone else that people fail for various reasons. I'm sure you've seen a variety of people succeed and a variety of people fail. What about the "secret eaters", the "emotional eaters", etc?

I believe some people need a kick in the *kitten* --- and thats often what meal replacements do. it doesn't *replace* the fact the person needs to learn portion control and proper nutrition, but if it helps kickstart someone who has had problems doing that their whole life, I say go for it.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

You are back here losing weight again...so it didn't work to begin with. Not much else to discuss really.

• Charisma_Black
    Options
    Thank you @rivertree69 :)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I'm dong a meal replacement program. However, I'm not wasting my money on something like that. I make my own shakes at home.

Costs me $5.80/day.

But I'm doing it because my budget doesn't allow for real foods. Food is too expensive. If I could afford to buy what you're buying, I'd be eating real food. Any purchased "plan" is a waste of money.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but are you consuming only shakes? Do they have any fibre in them?

If they don't, dried beans and plain oats are pennies a serving and will help you get the fibre you need. Brown rice is cheap if you buy the large bags and it lasts for months. A bag of pinto beans for under $7 and change provides over 100 servings at 6.9cents per with 5g of fibre and 7g of protein per serving. Combine it with a cup of rice at $3.68 for 54 servings (6.8 cents), and mixed stir-fry vegetables for 8.81 per 5.5 lb bag (29 cents) and you have a decent, filling meal for just over 50 cents.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Pinto-Beans-8-Lb/10314949

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Iberia-Long-Grain-Brown-Rice-5-lb/20574654

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11004580&search=frozen stir-fry vegetables

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    OP only thanks the ones who are telling her what she wants to hear.

Everyone who thinks the shakes may not be the best idea is being nasty.

Never change, MFP.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'm dong a meal replacement program. However, I'm not wasting my money on something like that. I make my own shakes at home.

Costs me $5.80/day.

But I'm doing it because my budget doesn't allow for real foods. Food is too expensive. If I could afford to buy what you're buying, I'd be eating real food. Any purchased "plan" is a waste of money.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but are you consuming only shakes? Do they have any fibre in them?

If they don't, dried beans and plain oats are pennies a serving and will help you get the fibre you need. Brown rice is cheap if you buy the large bags and it lasts for months. A bag of pinto beans for under $7 and change provides over 100 servings at 6.9cents per with 5g of fibre and 7g of protein per serving. Combine it with a cup of rice at $3.68 for 54 servings (6.8 cents), and mixed stir-fry vegetables for 8.81 per 5.5 lb bag (29 cents) and you have a decent, filling meal for just over 50 cents.

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11004580&search=frozen stir-fry vegetables

I'm getting 17+g of fibre per day.
  • jazzsax69
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

You are back here losing weight again...so it didn't work to begin with. Not much else to discuss really.

LOL. It worked while I lead a healthy maintenance lifestyle. As soon as I was on a plane every week and drinking scotch in first class along with hotel food, I gained some back. No where near all, and I learned what was wrong and what was right. The point being, who are you to judge what some people need to motivate them? Had I *not* learned through the process that I could lose weight (ie, seeing it in a mirror), I highly doubt I would have had any motivation to try.

Some people need a good kick in the pants this way.

• jazzsax69
    Options

Costs me $5.80/day.

Good suggestions.