Premium review

Options
2»

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I bought these recently, so clearly I'm not above blowing money on stuff like MFP premium :wink:
    ys3r8and8i3v.jpg
    ag5rv85kffr0.jpg
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I bought these recently, so clearly I'm not above blowing money on stuff like MFP premium :wink:
    ys3r8and8i3v.jpg
    ag5rv85kffr0.jpg

LOL, I totally get that as I collect weaponry. They're necessary!
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    ^Haha cool

I decided to go ahead and try it out. The regular version is just fine for me. I don't think I'll be doing it another month.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    ys3r8and8i3v.jpg
    ag5rv85kffr0.jpg

LOL, I totally get that as I collect weaponry. They're necessary!

I was going to look for one of those t shirts with a headless body on the front, where you head is the head.

One where the image in the front is a knight in armour.
  • kami3006
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @HappyCampr1 thanks for the review. I don't think the premium is for me but I do know someone who is more interested. I'll make sure he sees your post.
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I deleted my card from the app store just so I wouldn't be charged in the coming months lol. I would be the one who forgot
  • kami3006
    Options
    keonaepmrji1.jpg

done hijacking now...sorry :)
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The free site has slowed down and gotten buggy.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    So is this available in Australia?

Nope. Apparently Australia and NZ are out of the loop. But that's OK, I can just amuse myself by bagging you lot whenever I get bored.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I upgraded so that I could set my macro goals by the gram. There was a program that a lot of older users had that did the same thing, but it was an aftermarket program, written by another user, and I never used it. I was very happy to be able to change my goals like that. I want to get 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. For me, that's 111g. Before, if I used 20%, it would give me 130g and if I used 15%, it would give me 99g. I was just supposed to "know" I was supposed to be off. Being a numbers person, like I am, this has driven me crazy since I hit maintenance last July.

I did change the header on top of my newsfeed to show my macros instead of my exercise calories because I'm using the TDEE method for figuring my goals and I don't eat back my exercise. Here's what my new header looks like...

q8e60vefa9ad.jpg

You have the option of putting any three nutrients in those little circles and tracking them like that. If iron, fiber and calcium are your thing, you can do that.

If gives a food analysis by nutrients. For me, this is just a curiosity factor. Say, I'm always under on calcium, I can click calcium in my nutrients breakdown and it will show me what foods I've eaten in order from most calcium to least calcium. It does the same for any of the macro or micronutrients, by day or by week. If I want to know what I ate this week that was highest in fiber, I can just click fiber and I'll know. Maybe more useful for others than for me, but it's a feature.

I turned off my exercise calories, so it doesn't adjust my goals. This is great for TDEE because before I couldn't track my steps in MFP because it would change things. I always enter my gym workouts manually as one calorie, but it's nice to have my iPhone health app syncing my steps too.

You can customize your goals by day, so if you want to eat less during the week in order to save calories for the weekend, you can set that up and have real goals, rather than an abstract "less". People who like to eat more protein or carbs on workout days can change their goals for those days to reflect what they want. I haven't done this myself.

And, of course, it's ad free. You still see ads for MFP's most recent blog posts, but that's about it. No page reloading because some ad is messing everything up.

Premium has the same database, forums and app layout as the regular version. Whether you upgrade or not will depend on which features you think are worth it. For me, it makes my most useful app much more in-tune with my needs. For most people, I think the regular app will continue to do just fine.

Thanks for the review-I'd be interested in the premium version if the cost was lower (like $19.95 a year or something). Hopefully they'll adjust it down at some point.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    So is this available in Australia?

Nope. Apparently Australia and NZ are out of the loop. But that's OK, I can just amuse myself by bagging you lot whenever I get bored.

I'm so glad we have this World Wide Web thing and we aren't stuck using pointless country and regional borders. /sarcasm
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    yup...true story!

The free site seems to be pretty buggy lately...lots of malware and viruses coming with MFP. I don't even think it's ads, it seems to be happening navigating between pages

I thought it was just me! It's really annoying.
  • kami3006
    Options
    The free site has slowed down and gotten buggy.

More and more every day. A few minutes ago I tried to click on a picture in someone's profile and it took me to my own "update photo" screen. WTH?
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Lol. I can't see many people paying for each month, one at a time, instead of purchasing a year.

I would. I have a bunch of sites I subscribe to month by month. I'd do the same here (if they didn't have these ridiculous region restrictions in place)

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    One thing I do to limit ads is use a security program. I have it set so it asks me permission to connect and gives me the server that's trying to connect. When I see it has "ad" in it, I click "deny." It takes a while to get used to and you have to know what's what so you don't block something you actually want, but for me it's worth it to not feel stalked by ads.
  • kami3006
    Options
    Adblock is awesome too. I didn't even know the site had ads until I read folks complaining about them.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Thx good info to have...it's not offered in Canada yet but I won't pay that to adjust my macros.

Agree. The features aren't for me and I don't care about ads. I don't even see them right now and I'm using the free version.. even if the features were for me, paying $10 per month or $50 per year USD seems too steep. I'd rather put that money towards extra months on my gym membership.