Coffee drinker looking to convert to tea.

Options
bthumudo
bthumudo Posts: 79 Member
I'm a coffee drinker. I need something I can make one cup at a time. I would like to start drinking tea without putting any sugar in or cream or anything. But I don't like tea. I have tried regular tea and green tea. I HATED it. Any recommendations? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• HannahInHawaii
    HannahInHawaii Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Vanilla tea used to be one of my favorites before I stopped drinking caffeine.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This may be a controversial theory - but if you don't like it, why are you trying to force yourself to switch to it?

If you need something you can make one cup at a time, look at a Keurig or similar style coffee maker maybe?
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Can I ask why do you want to drink tea if you don't like it? And why you want to stop drinking coffee? (edited to say I realize you never said you would quit coffee) There are several kinds of tea out there you can try though, not just "regular" or green, haha. You could check out Teavana and try some of their samples. I found those really tasty. If you're looking for something flavorful to drink without calories, why not try those individually sized flavored water packets?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    This may be a controversial theory - but if you don't like it, why are you trying to force yourself to switch to it?

If you need something you can make one cup at a time, look at a Keurig or similar style coffee maker maybe?

This. IIRC they make reusable pods that you can fill with your own coffee now so you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on the pre-filled ones.

Or get a small Bialetti pot.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have a Hamilton Beach coffee maker that only makes one cup at a time.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    "Regular" and "Green" is really generic. Do you mean you've tried the cheap black and green tea bags you get in a box of 100 for $3 at the grocery store? Because yeah that stuff sucks. Find a place that sells different varieties. I assume you have Target where you are. They sell a good selection of Tazo teas which are very tasty. You can also google Tea Shops in your area and find places that sell loose leaf teas in different varieties. Tea is as vast world...if you are serious about switching then experiment with something besides "regular" and "green".

As for a single serve option...if you really like coffee and want to stick with it then get a keurig.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Just curious but why no coffee?
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Depending on your area too you could check out your local farmers markets. Our big one here has a stand where the girl grows all of her own tea ingredients and makes it herself. It's expensive as hell but delicious.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's really easy to make great coffee, one cup at a time.
    ah0g81gvjmyr.jpg
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Why no coffee? :'(
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I have a single serve french press that makes one cup of coffee at a time and it's portable for work so that might be an option if you are just not wanting to make a pot of coffee.

As for tea....I always drink it without sweetener or cream now but I used to have it with sweet n' low or sugar. It took time to get used to it plain but I love it now! There are a lot of different teas that you might like better than plain black or green. If you live near a tea store like Teavana you can try samples of different blends to see if there is one you like. I like earl grey teas, minty teas, and some chai blends for extra flavor. If you need the caffeine you can mix a black tea w/ an herbal for more flavor!

Also Yerba Mate is often used as a substitute for coffee as the caffeine levels are similar plus it has various vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat as you. I found this tea tumbler at the tea shop at the mall and i can make a 16oz serving of tea with loose tea leafs. You can buy any flavor you want of loose tea. I found some amazing flavors that i am currently using/trying/experimenting with...
    http://www.teavana.com/tea-products/tea-cups-mugs/travel-tea-tumblers
  • bthumudo
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

I just feel like with all the health benefits of tea vs coffee and of course I have to add creamer and sugar to coffee, tea is a better alternative. Also I'm sure there are plenty of flavors, etc that could 'convert' a coffee drinker to a tea drinker. I just don't know where to start.

• bthumudo
    Options
    I guess I probably could have worded my question better. I just see that there are so many more healthy options with tea vs coffee. I won't be giving up my morning coffee by any means, but as the afternoon drags on at work, a nice cup or two of tea would be nice, if there is some type that is tasty, and not requiring me to add cream and sugar. Plus with all the benefits I've read about tea, just seems like a smarter choice overall. I truly appreciate everyone's input.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Why not drink your coffee? If you load it up with sugar and cream, learn to cut back. Funny thing is I didn't drink coffee before (headaches). Now I do. 2-3 lattes per day. Just a little low fat milk is all.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I solved that problem. Now I have both.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I compromised: one good cup of coffee with cream for breakfast. Tea the rest of the day. I don't like plain black tea. I've found a vanilla chai tea that has a richer flavor and more resembles coffee. I also like fruit teas-the raspberry and blueberry and other berries seem to be the most flavorful. I tend to put one Stevia packet in each cup.
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you want it to have the same amount of caffeine, then you want a black tea. If you don't like the flavor of it unsweetened, throw in half a tablespoon of honey. It sweetens it up for like 30 calories. Also, you can check out places like Teavana where you can get mixes of tea and find a flavor you like.
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    Im in the same boat as you. I found this tea tumbler at the tea shop at the mall and i can make a 16oz serving of tea with loose tea leafs. You can buy any flavor you want of loose tea. I found some amazing flavors that i am currently using/trying/experimenting with...
    http://www.teavana.com/tea-products/tea-cups-mugs/travel-tea-tumblers

Yes this! I have a friend there and she can even make one taste like mountain dew (which sounds kinda gross to me, but if that's what you're into...)
    I'd suggest the jade citrus mint and their earl grey.