Coffee drinker looking to convert to tea.

Options

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Give starbucks VIA ready brew a try. It's actually pretty good for instant coffee.
  • bthumudo
    bthumudo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love all these suggestions from everyone!!! Thank you!!!
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Personally I'm a David's Tea fan. I have a cup or two of coffee in the morning, then tea as I feel like it during the rest of the day. The nice thing about David's Tea is you can walk in and ask for very small amounts. I frequently will go in with a list of several teas, get only 20g of each, and slowly try them all.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    This may be a controversial theory - but if you don't like it, why are you trying to force yourself to switch to it?

If you need something you can make one cup at a time, look at a Keurig or similar style coffee maker maybe?

Agree, Never give up drinking coffee/everything in moderation!!!

• teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you've really hated the tea you've tried so far and are just looking for a hot beverage you can make one cup at a time I'd second the suggestion of the pour over brewer posted above. Are you trying to avoid/lower the caffeine? Then maybe try some decaf, or half caf.

I love tea, there are about a zillion different varieties. Do you have a tea shop near you? They usually have sampler boxes with lots of different types of loose leaf tea, you might find one you like. You can also check online, this store, for example, has a sampler of their 12 most popular teas

Some tea will get really bitter and crap tasting if you let it steep to long. Maybe that has something to do with why you found it so gross?
  • cortesr425
    cortesr425 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are several things to know before making tea. First off, there are a large variety of teas with varied tastes. Primarily you are looking at black and green teas. You also need to know that different types of tea are brewed at different temps and have different steeping times. Over brewing a green tea will make it bitter. Try Twinnings "Gunpowder Tea" it is a good basic green tea and brew for 2 minutes at 175 degrees. Visit the California Tea House website, it has good information to get you up to speed. I never used sugar in coffee and I don't use it in tea. Experience the subtle flavors you might like it and save a few calories.
  • MiraMira0702
    MiraMira0702 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing last year, quit the coffe because of everything I added in. I started by drinking black tea with sweetener since it has just as much if not more caffeine. Once I got used to that I started expanding my tea options and got different flavors until I found one that I liked. Now, I drink fresh brewed green tea with no sweetener and if I am craving sweet I add a touch of raw honey.
  • bthumudo
    Options
    I'm loving all the suggestions and articles and sites being shared here from everyone. One more reason why I love MFP. All the options and comparisons really make me think actually in exploring both options, not leaving coffee, but adding tea as another alternative to break up the monotony.
  • bthumudo
    Options
    I'm loving all the suggestions and articles and sites being shared here from everyone. One more reason why I love MFP. All the options and comparisons really make me think actually in exploring both options, not leaving coffee, but adding tea as another alternative to break up the monotony.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Thank you for posting this. My love of coffee (and faith in its benefits!) prompted me to go look for some links for this thread, but you saved me the trouble. (For what it's worth, I don't drink my coffee black; I use whipping cream or half n half, unsweetened.)
    Also, to the person who says black tea has at least as much caffeine as coffee... Are you sure? Because I know I've read the opposite before. (Off to go look that up...)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Like anything else it's an acquired taste. I hated green tea the first time and now I buy the fresh pouches and use a steeping ball. English Black teas are probably the most equivalent to coffee and Earl Grey is simply outstanding. I use either the Keurig or french press for coffee in the morning, but switch to tea afterwards.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Black tea has 11mg of caffeine per 100 g. Coffee has 40mg.
    I echo the sentiment to get a great tea from David's. Get some sample packs to try. Try a coffee/tea press like this:
    hJnhb.jpg
    Why not try powdered skim milk in your coffee? Wean yourself off the extra fat first.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you like a dark, rich flavour, try the oolong and chai teas.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    As long as you log all the sugar, cream, etc and you stay within calories, why give it up? I allow myself one cup of coffee per day with raw sugar and half and half. I measure each aspect and log it and work the rest of my day around it. I refuse to give up something I love because this is a LIFESTYLE and I don't want to be miserable. Have your coffee and enjoy it. Maybe look at higher quality add ins that give you more bang for your calorie buck. For example, I switched from white sugar to raw sugar and do not use as much because the flavor profile, IMO, is so much better.
  • terrenceobrien1
    terrenceobrien1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Tea is a very simple beverage. Its simplicity is the very reason you should take the steps to brew it properly. Get a coffee/tea press like jgnatca mentioned. Get an electric kettle and a thermometer. Get some loose leaf tea. Loose leaf teas make a better cup; they expand quite a bit in the tea press. If you're willing to tinker and experiment, I'm sure you can appreciate the world's beverage. I like coffee, and I like tea. It's fun to switch between the two.

• bthumudo
    Options
    I have to tell everyone I appreciate all the suggestions and I am now drinking my 2nd cup of tea and love it! I have a white mangosteen peach green tea and it's delicious!!! Thank you again for everyone's help!
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Thank you for posting this. My love of coffee (and faith in its benefits!) prompted me to go look for some links for this thread, but you saved me the trouble. (For what it's worth, I don't drink my coffee black; I use whipping cream or half n half, unsweetened.)
    Also, to the person who says black tea has at least as much caffeine as coffee... Are you sure? Because I know I've read the opposite before. (Off to go look that up...)

You are totally right! I don't know why I said the same, that was an accident. I do know that it does have more than a can of mountain dew, though!