red meat

Options
Is red meat something i should've be eating if im trying to lose weight? I work it in my diet cause its a good source of protein and i like my steak

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Eat the appropriate portion size to fit in to your daily calorie goal. That's all.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    red meat is fine as long as you don't have too much iron.

I love a good steak, hamburger and roast...I limit it due to hemochromatosis....extra iron, which is odd for a woman to have but whatever.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If you like it, eat it. Simples
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want, just make sure it's a reasonable-size portion that fits into your calories
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Me love steak. Me should have been born caveman ugg!

Eat it. Steak is amazeballs. That is all. :lol:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I love steak. I love hamburger. I eat red meat multiple times a week as long as it fits my calories.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Unless there's some medical reason to avoid it, go for it (if it fits into your calories for the day). I love steak and generally have it once a week. I personally stick with the leaner cuts (tenderloin or flank), but there's no real reason to do that if you prefer something else...
  • kickin_bass87
    kickin_bass87 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I eat ribeye but i cut the fat off and eat about 4 to 6 ounces a serving
  • kozykondition1
    kozykondition1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Delicious and nutritious! Here's the caveat--for anything other than the leanest cuts of meat, you will do a poor job recording accurate calories. You will likely overestimate the fat calories. That is because you will probably trim or not eat visible fat, and fat will be lost during cooking. Also, are bones included in the USDA entry (I think they are)?
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I feel that red meat has gotten a bad rap over the years, much like eggs have. Turns out that BOTH are really good for you if you eat the right cuts and dont go crazy. Beef/whatever red meat is loaded with B vitamins, complete proteins, and other good stuff that you just aint getting from steamed cauliflower. And, it happens to taste great. Enjoy it - just stick with lean cuts and reasonable amounts. yer fine. :)
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I love red meat. I fit it in about once per week. I find myself craving it (I had a dream last night about ribs). :smiley:
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I eat ribeye but i cut the fat off and eat about 4 to 6 ounces a serving

4 oz of ribeye is around 300 calories. Totally doable.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Once a week I'll either make and eat a nice fat burger or a nice fat rib-eye (rare, thank you). The rib-eye usually has to be a solo event because I'm afraid of people seeing me become visibly aroused by the taste.

I'm sorry, what was the question? Eat meat? Yes, eat red meat.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I love red meat and work it in whenever I can. Like any of my proteins I measure it and portion control.

Red meat is one of the most nutritious foods out there. A 3.5 portion of ground beef with 10% fat has
    Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 25% of the RDA.
    Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin): 37% of the RDA (this vitamin is unattainable from plant foods).
    Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine): 18% of the RDA.
    Iron: 12% of the RDA (This is high quality heme-iron, which is absorbed much better than iron from plants).
    Zinc: 32% of the RDA.
    Selenium: 24% of the RDA.
    Then there are plenty of other vitamins and minerals in there too, in smaller amounts.

This comes with a calorie count of 176, with 20 grams of quality animal protein and 10 grams of fat.

Grass Fed beef us more nutritious than corn fed. Since I eat smaller portions I opt for that when I can. It has less saturated fat, more nutrients, more omega 3s.

Many of the studies that indicate red meat is bad for our health have been debunked (for example, our understanding of consuming cholesterol has really changed from the 70s). Many other of the studies are observational studies that can show correlation but not prove causation.

This is why I would suggest moderation, not elimination of red meat.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    sandryc79 wrote: »
    I love red meat and work it in whenever I can. Like any of my proteins I measure it and portion control.

Red meat is one of the most nutritious foods out there. A 3.5 portion of ground beef with 10% fat has
    Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 25% of the RDA.
    Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin): 37% of the RDA (this vitamin is unattainable from plant foods).
    Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine): 18% of the RDA.
    Iron: 12% of the RDA (This is high quality heme-iron, which is absorbed much better than iron from plants).
    Zinc: 32% of the RDA.
    Selenium: 24% of the RDA.
    Then there are plenty of other vitamins and minerals in there too, in smaller amounts.

This comes with a calorie count of 176, with 20 grams of quality animal protein and 10 grams of fat.

Grass Fed beef us more nutritious than corn fed. Since I eat smaller portions I opt for that when I can. It has less saturated fat, more nutrients, more omega 3s.

Many of the studies that indicate red meat is bad for our health have been debunked (for example, our understanding of consuming cholesterol has really changed from the 70s). Many other of the studies are observational studies that can show correlation but not prove causation.

This is why I would suggest moderation, not elimination of red meat.

Yeah - red meat rocks. Nothing like a lean filet mignon (beef tenderloin). Great nutritional profile and a big protein boost.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have a question then is MFP accurate in telling me that lean ground hamburger has 2 calories per gram. I had three small meatballs last night (200 grams) and that put me in at 400 calories?!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I love red meat. I've got to have burgers and/or steak at least once a week or I feel sad. I pick good cuts and make sure to weigh my portions and log them accurately. It works out beautifully.

@riderfangal That seems a little off. What do you mean by "lean" and which database entry are you using?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I have a question then is MFP accurate in telling me that lean ground hamburger has 2 calories per gram. I had three small meatballs last night (200 grams) and that out me in at 400 calories?!

No, that's not correct unless you beefed up (pun intended) your meatballs with a whole lot of insoluable fiber or some other non-absorbed calories.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    I have a question then is MFP accurate in telling me that lean ground hamburger has 2 calories per gram. I had three small meatballs last night (200 grams) and that out me in at 400 calories?!

No, that's not correct unless you beefed up (pun intended) your meatballs with a whole lot of insoluable fiber or some other non-absorbed calories.

I didn't put anything in other than about quarter cup of bread crumbs and I egg white for the pound of beef I cooked up
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

I didn't put anything in other than about quarter cup of bread crumbs and I egg white for the pound of beef I cooked up

Many (many, many, many) of the entries in the MFP database are incorrect. It would appear you chose one of the incorrect entries.